Muncie (juniors) project.

Muncie

Like these, but I got free shipping at the time:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-00-4-3-00-X-4-Tire-Tyre-Tube-Scooter-Pocket-Bike-Mini-Dirt-pit-Quad-ATV-Gokart/132953894377?hash=item1ef4ab6de9:g:RV0AAOSwviBZw2So

Search around under "mini quad tyre" or "goped bigfoot tyre" or "sack trolley tyre" they all use similar tyres. The sack trolley tyres that have an offroad looking tread don't last, but on 4 wheels the consequence of failure is low. But the ones in that link are bulletproof! Tough as tyres that last well.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Muncie said:

Excellent! Will try find them with reasonable shipping. I was thinking about going to go-kart tyres on rear but that means a new axle hubs rims etc. 

The front will definitely get a set though as its well sorted now i wont mess with again.

Just double check sizes, but mine fit the rims on my old mobility scooter. The tyres were slightly different width and height...but not by much. The rim was fine.

• 1 month later...

Well ive got till Christmas day to do a few things for my boy... one of the mobility scooter grey tyres exploded while i was moving it blew my hat off and lenses out of  my sunnies! Made me jump.

Anyway new tyres a 50t sprocket and a pit bike disc are going in to make this a bit flash. Painted up the rims with new stainless cap screws. Floated idea with my boy of fitting a v twin. Hes a bit lukewarm on the idea haha.

20191216_193815.jpg

20191216_193759.jpg

Made one wheel up to see if there would be clearance issues as they are wider and taller they have worked out mint! No tight spots at all.

I need to make up a new spacer to hold the axle centered as the original one has crumbled leaving about an 8mm gap glad i found it before lunching the new chain.

• Like 1

Will be running with a patent pending @Kimjon "sprotar" as this is tight as for space in the back to fit a decent brake disc setup.

Ultimately will grab a set of the front disc brakes off Motiveparts to pull it up thinking of a way to add some shocks and springs too.

it would be pretty easy to widen and lengthen it a little, my boy is starting to grow quite quickly so this will just keep evolving as he bloody loves it! It whips his mates quad bikes.

Screenshot_20191216-212623_Trade Me.jpg

• Like 1

After few short laps of lawn my son manage to some how bend the back axle....... ffs back to drawing board with that. Hopefully wont take much to sort, everything appears to have shifted 10mm to the right so might just see if everything has settled and move engine over to line up again.

• Like 1

Sussed it.

My boy been a bit of a show off can tip this thing on 2 wheels and keep it going for bloody ages however not when im looking..... which of course pops the axle bearings out of their rubber mounts. 

So now i have figured out what's been making the axle move i can fix it. He did manage better donuts than ever before it threw the chain hes itching to get it fixed.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Took 6 hours to fix this but its alive again.

The big wave rotor on the brakes ended up been way to big so i bought a smaller one and a new carrier got choppy with the dildo saw.

Second attempt at a Kimjon spec "sprotar" this time it worked i slipped tube into the new carrier and drive the 2 halves of axle in with a 8 pound sledge then welded it. This process took ages as i had the same 5mm runout again but i knew everything was driven in straight.

I ended up finding the longer side was bent at the carrier i cut it bent it and welded it  boom no runout! Yus.

IMG_10042020_155534_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_10042020_155557_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_10042020_155622_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_10042020_155648_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

Some neighbours are a fan some not so much. To be fair i could hear their music over the engine the entire time and waited till at least 2 lawnmowers were running.

The engine has a massive muffler i made so its actually pretty quiet. Cant wait for lock down to end.

Pulled the centrifugal clutch off and removed 5 turns of spring out the clutch pack and lubricated the bushings as its always dragged a bit. Also cleaned up the engine shaft as i had to turn it down due to it been an odd size originally and think it had a slight lump in it.

Now it revs up about an extra 500 rpm and can keep the wheels going after a spin way better! Screams its tits off, and will also sit still and idle.

Pic of installed axle too.

IMG_14042020_130645_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

Im so out of shit to build with! All my scrap has been chopped up more than once....hence that gross brake caliper bracket:pukeright: ive got some new stuff on the way to finish this off but for now its fully functional and a hoot to ride.

If only i had my kids to try it out.