Muncie (juniors) project.

Muncie

Picked up this slightly flakey but overall very solid mobility scooter rolling chassis tonight for $25. My son will be in charge of this project hes stripped all the lame wheelchair stuff off wiring and gearbox etc..... has a motor for it as you can see an hour after it got home its starting to resemble something else and cool. 

Rad steering setup on it gets mad lock and everything is built overkill to lug around the morbidly obese.

20180921_201206.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son spent a few hours chipping off the battery trays they were pretty flaky but are pretty thick steel so came more than usable for the engines mounting. I whipped the seat pole off and sat the engine in a far better spot.

Some arse has cut the axle in 2 so I'll have to make a sleeve up to join it back together, i should be able use it to mount the disc brake and sprocket to so will be a win once finished.

Im totally riding this to get the milk and bread..... plan is remove tank from top of motor to somewhere else and chuck a seat over the top of engine to get looking a bit more um low key.

Should be able to get the seat a good 100mm lower so might be a bit more stable.

• Like 3

I used the same motor in Naomi's drift trike. Torque to burn!!!! But it seams to be a bit of a light switch...either off or on, with no in between. Maybe the carb on mine was fucked? But it was a handful. Pulsing the throttle gave good control in a drift...that turned out to be the secret with that one.

870.thumb.jpeg.833770948d62859b2a206b4ad70b9485.jpeg

You can see I also used a pulse pump so I could relocate a fuel tank to a lower point. This works great. Cheap as on ebay.

I might use the carby off my v-twin its choking the twin but would be a huge upgrade on this if i can get it to not overfuel by changing jets etc. 

Finding same issue with the on off throttle with my Robin carby it wont get to an idle as it is but happy anywhere between around 2k rpm and 4k+. 

Probably manufactured without any intention of going under 2000rpm. My little 2.5hp motors carb had no provision to idle. I bunged a weedeater one on it which cured it.

• Like 1

Looks like #420 pitch.

The 3/4" clutches come with 10 teeth in 420 pitch. So that small rear gear will be too small I think? It will bog down low...and do about 70kph when wound right out if it doesn't hit the wall.

A much bigger rear would work better. Soon as you haven't committed to it. I'd look at changing to another pitch like #35 or 219. You can get more teeth on the rear for those pitches a lot more easily than in 420. 

Ebay has centrifugal clutches for about $35. Way cheaper than trademe etc...

You can still use the carrier. ..just adapt it to fit another rear sprocket 

Yeah i was hoping i could use it in some way whether as a sprocket or disc brake carrier.

Will get a better idea if i can indeed use it once it arrives nonetheless im sure parts of it can go on, im keen to get it Mobile asap as my motivation to finish things kicks in as soon as i get something to move under its own power.

Once it moves i can refine it with my boy hes results driven too.

• Like 2

Sprocket arrived its about as big as i can go without it being too close to the ground. If i stick with 420 chain i could hypothetically stick my V-twin on for when i want i dont know....... tow a trailer or pull out trees.

I will get some go kart wheels on eventually but these will do till they burst, i know my son will do his best to kill them anyway.

20180928_061732.jpg

I think it's way to small sorry. Looks like about 37 teeth. Your clutch will have 10 teeth...so that 3.7:1 ratio.

1732.thumb.jpeg.e35613821095b16b73a69bd9de3d68ff.jpeg

This drift trike was the fastest one by far. It was because it had smaller wheels. Used the same ratio as all of them at 70 teeth rear and 11 teeth front...so ratio of 6.36:1 which is nearly double what you have.

At 3.7:1 I think you'll just burn out the clutch as it will struggle to move with such a low gear ratio.

18 hours ago, Kimjon said:

I think it's way to small sorry. Looks like about 37 teeth. Your clutch will have 10 teeth...so that 3.7:1 ratio.

1732.thumb.jpeg.e35613821095b16b73a69bd9de3d68ff.jpeg

This drift trike was the fastest one by far. It was because it had smaller wheels. Used the same ratio as all of them at 70 teeth rear and 11 teeth front...so ratio of 6.36:1 which is nearly double what you have.

At 3.7:1 I think you'll just burn out the clutch as it will struggle to move with such a low gear ratio.

Yup will confirm you are right. To be sure i did a direct drive stationary load test using a 13t top sprocket.

20180929_123025.jpg

On upside it has a 1 piece axle again a sprocket carrier i can fit any sprocket i need too. The axle was the one thing i wanted to tick off today before committing to anything else.

Its going to need the engine sunk far lower and the fuel tank moved to get a seat on it though fortunately ive got a new 1.5 litre go ped tank sitting around that will solve one problem and steel to make the engine mounts...... but im out of energy for today so thats a wrap.

• Like 1