Shuzz's " I've had this since before you were born" Hilux

CarolsHusband

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting about changing bulbs on this un spam reminded me about your supercharger Shuzz. 

After following a range rover with a supercharged badge in traffic I started thinking about your truck. A quick Google reveals that the jagwaaaars ran the next gen Eaton unit called a TVS. They sound heaps better than the old M series Eatons. 

Tl;dr that blower is heaps to big and awesome for an old diesel truck. You should post it to me, and I'll send you a shitty old m62/m90 instead.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2019 at 08:05, RUNAMUCK said:

What size Eaton? 

A supercharger on a diseasel makes the world of sense.  Because there's no throttle body it should just run full boost 24/7. Then you wind up your fuel to you find your sweet spot with the egt's and profit. No off boost means no black smoke before a turbo spools. 

Supercharger the world!

Supercharger on a diesel makes zero sense

• 1 month later...

It's been nearly a year since I got the Hilux back on the road so MOT time is looming. You're allowed to take it for a test a month early in case you need to get stuff fixed but if it passes you basically are legal for 13 months.

I've done nearly 6000 miles in that time so had started doing a few little jobs ahead of time.

The other day this happened...

009 small.jpg

Fully floating load sensing valves can be a bit hairy, especially under heavy braking. Cable tied it to the chassis but thought it might be frowned upon during the test.

Weather is very nice for the time of year so as usual I set up my al fresco workshop.

001 small.jpg

Yep, that's fucked, And I managed to snap two bolts as they're blind captive nuts in the chassis.

008 small.jpg

Not sure if you can tell the new bracket from the old, the picture's a bit dark.

005 small.jpg

A bit of careful drilling ( I went and splurged on a set of decent hss drill bits, what a difference) it's ready for some paint.

018 small.jpg

Now all I've got to do is get the mounting bolts out of the valve. 90 quid for a new one so it's got to be worth a couple  of hours work before I splash out.

More later in the week :)

• Like 9

On 29/09/2019 at 12:46, UTERUS said:

I would turbo the motor you have, or find a 3L or 5 L to turbo. 

This is right up @Yowzer alley and he will have some insight into turbo L series diesels. 

Ohai

Find a 3/5L, give it a turbo and cowboy tune the fuck out of it. I've been smashing 30psi and maxed out the fuel pump into my 3L and the bastard won't break, half that will wake yours up nicely while minimising the risk of cooking it.

• Thanks 1

The boost control method was pretty shit, but functional.

IMG_20150204_191222.jpg

When I was running a CT26 on an earlier iteration I was very tempted to also chuck on a supercharger to reduce the lag and throw in a bit of compound action, but changing to the CT16V removed the need as it spooled up so damn fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Yowzertruck.

I'm still in two minds about about reducing it gutless quotient. Had an cheap offer of a 3.9 RV8 + bellhousing kit the other day and gave it a miss, so....

If I do go Toyota Bigger I may well be giving your inbox a hammering, so to speak.

Really hoping to get some paint on it this spring, we'll see which way the wind's blowing after that.

/back to brakes now, not raining yet....

• 1 month later...

Hey fullahs.

MOT'd and all legal-beagle for another 12 months. I've had nearly 7000 mostly trouble free miles since I got it back on the road a year ago and it's still not using any oil. 

It's still gutless, which is nice.

Before the test the rear brakes needed stripping, cleaning & greasing as the handbrake was awol. Bust a shock mount off getting a bit gnarly down on my dads place but Steve did a bang-up job of over engineering a new mount. Couldn't tell it had fallen off driving it though, just noticed it hanging there when I did the brakes.

005 small.jpg

I've decided not to give it a fancy paint job but instead I'm going to try and make the tub look as old as the rest of the truck. I'm really not a big fan of fake patina but I think it'll look ok if I take my time and do go too silly. 

Or maybe it'll look shit.

Had a little practice on the valance, quite pleased with it.

001 small.jpg

002 small.jpg

004 small.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On we go......

First things first, chopped the ends of my winch bracket. That 1/4 plate doesn't half get through discs.

i4LUw4v.jpg

Lick of paint...

yK0THKI.jpg

Next part of the plan, ruin a perfectly good bumper. Check.

fRXdRh1.jpg

Bit more paint , bolt it on, starting to look like a thing.

tdwcKVO.jpg

Next job, chop up a perfectly good valance. Check.

gVRvinV.jpg

Put the towing eye back in and trim valance to suit.

Vmyc9xG.jpg

....And bolt on a pair of 7" spots. Nearly done.

5LxkWzm.jpg

Next job is to cut down the Defender bar so it fits, it's going to look a bit like this...

zwRFXFR.jpg

But it's going to need a little fettle to fit.

0vsSo1L.jpg

More tomorrow, cold beer is calling.

• Like 8