Shuzz's " I've had this since before you were born" Hilux

CarolsHusband

A final thought/question for the day (my day, anyway).

Spare tyre...... It won't fit where it should, plus I binned the pulley & chain years ago as it was fucked. Anywhere in the bed is a pain in the arse, especially where it is now though slightly less so against the cab back. 

My thoughts were either build an American style tailgate mount or how about on the front ahead of the rad ? It's not exactly going to ruin the lines.

Discuss.....

/all opinions welcome, even wrong ones.

//nite spam Fred.

• Like 1

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, 75swb said:

Bonnet mount ftw! 

It had crossed my mind. I'd do it if I knew that I'd never have to access the engine ever again.

6 hours ago, Nominal said:

RAC card and cellphone in lieu of spare?

The way the recovery services work over here would make it a complete waste of time.

So many ways of worming out of fixing stuff, if they answer the phone at all.

• Like 1

So, just before I went to the test I thought I'd check the lights. One headlight not working on dip, also fog lamp and brake lights packed up too.

Cancelled test.

*sigh*

Then found something hiding in the engine bay under the fuse box.. I'd like to find the sparky who did this & shake him warmly by the throat....

002 small.jpg

Rewire in the morning and hopefully that'll cure it.

Ha ha, yeah, right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck you for a couple of weeks. Had to walk away before I burned the twat.

013 small.jpg

Made the interior look right pretty. Getting there with the electrics, lots of water in the loom & fuse boxes.

015 small.jpg

Defusing the towing electrics. Blue or black ? Seems to have helped though.

016 small.jpg

That's all I've got for the moment, not even going to tempt fate and think about when it might get tested.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Fred.

Hilux has been mostly fine, various bits fitted to make life easier. New window mechanisms, door locks, rad cap, etc. 

Noticed a few drips of oil on the drive one day.  Next day,  full Amoco Cadiz spec under there. I dunno, you leave a truck in a field for 10 years....

To be fair I should have put a new crank seal in when I had it apart in the winter, but I was cold and it didn't look too bad.

That, and the sump was held on with good luck & optimism.

Pics...

I thought I'd already done this once.

001 small.jpg

003 small.jpg

004 small.jpg

I like to change my cambelt every 1100 miles, better safe than sorry.... Gonna do the sump gasket too, it'll give me a chance to clean the pick up mesh and see if there are any spare parts in the bottom of the sump.

Big question is, what colour do I paint the sump while it's off ? Fancying red. Or maybe yellow.

• Like 2

On 13/04/2019 at 19:10, CarolsHusband said:

There isn't a single problem in life that cant be improved by painting your sump red.

Except for still having a leaky sump, it seems.

Someone, at some time in the past,  over-tightened  the sump bolts and deformed the gasket.

(For "someone", read "me")

(For "at some time in the past", read "last Saturday")

It was fine for a bit & then it wasn't. Still, the chassis definitely isn't going to rust now. 

Surely I'll get it right in the end with all this practice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Yowzer said:

Top of my head says they should be 8-10NM? so barely a flick of the wrist on a 1/4 drive

The top of your head is correct. I gorilla'd them, relatively speaking

6 hours ago, UTERUS said:

Replace Gasket with threebond 1207B. 

That was my next plan if I've fucked the gasket. That or buy a cork tile and cut one out.

/old skool.

• Like 3