Hayden's Datsun 720 4WD project discussion

WhangareiKE70

10 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Optimism is the only real option...

One foot in front of the other and all that. 

I am going to make a to-do/shopping list in here at some point soon, and then others can point out all the shit I have forgotten. 

Main expenses I can think of now are ECU, gauges, injectors, fuel system, paint, and potentially GU axles to get the bigger brakes (depending on brake test). 
So if anyone has hookups or suggestions for any of these parts, let me know. 

1 hour ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

@ThePog Wreckers in Whangarei has a GU they just got in stock, I asked how much for F&R diffs, they said $5k :shock:
Is that anything close to what you paid for yours? Or are they just being ripoff artists?  

Mine were 3k as i recall. Boys on the patrol fb page said i got ripped at that...

TBH you could buy a complete vehicle and sell off the bits you dont need and make money off it.

3 minutes ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

There is a pair on TM atm for 3k that I just found, so 5k is a stretch. Not that I have the 3k at this point either. I was hoping they might come back with like $1.5/2k and I would scrape the money together, but no such luck. 

Are you on the safari FB pages? Plenty of stuff comes up on there, and you can always ask for something specific.

8 minutes ago, jessemk2 said:

Mate did a gu diff conversion on his gq 

He did it more for the little bit wider track,brakes were still average at best

Good quality brake pads and a serviced brakes system will get you through a cert imo

Definitely don't need wider track at all haha, in fact if I went to GU diffs I would have to buy lower offset wheels.

The diffs that are on there now have fully rebuilt calipers, new disks, braided lines etc, so I will just get some really good pads and try it like that I guess?   

• Like 1

I reckon it's worth a try, it has to be lighter than a bog standard safari. Maybe take it to a weighbridge to check. Lwb saf weight is around 2500kg. The td42+gearbag is min 550kg right there.

Just make sure there is nothing excess on there for the cert.

Maybe a set of the two pots will come up in the meantime....

1 hour ago, ThePog said:

I reckon it's worth a try, it has to be lighter than a bog standard safari. Maybe take it to a weighbridge to check. Lwb saf weight is around 2500kg. The td42+gearbag is min 550kg right there.

Just make sure there is nothing excess on there for the cert.

Maybe a set of the two pots will come up in the meantime....

Yeah I’ll take the jack/spare/shovel etc off for the cert. I’d say I’d take the roof tray and side bars off too but there are mounts for the exhaust on there and it might be taking the piss. Haha

And I’ll keep an eye out for those twin pots in the meantime. I’m amazed they don’t make repo twin lot calipers for the GQ diff, there’s such a market. 

1 hour ago, dspec_tt131 said:

I'm not really into lifted mud trucks but this thing is really cool!

Thanks man! I’m glad it’s turning into something finally. I really threw myself in the deep end on this one haha