Hayden's Datsun 720 4WD project discussion

WhangareiKE70

On 14/09/2018 at 17:41, tortron said:

??

On one hand, hell no. But on the other hand, it will probably need something like that haha.

Had a quick squiz at the Car Construction manual and it said something about minimum of 30(?)% of the overall circumference  of the wheel needs to be covered, so that means I can hopefully I can get away with having the front essentially uncovered, and just covering the top and back side of the tread. 

Was thinking something similar to the Smittybilt Jeep fenders, which are essentially a tube and plate construction, and join that to the front tube bumper I plan to build, I just need to allow for flex between the flare and guard, as the flare will be mounted to the chassis and the guard obviously to the body.

• 10 months later...

Can anyone give me good advice as to how to tell if your welds are up to cert standard? Just weld some things together and take them to your local certifier to be inspected?

I would like to do it myself as it will save time/money, but while I think my welds are ok, I don't know they are, if that makes sense.

Can I tack things together then just get someone to finish weld it, or will the tacks ruin the weld bead and make it look shoddy?

15 minutes ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

Can anyone give me good advice as to how to tell if your welds are up to cert standard? Just weld some things together and take them to your local certifier to be inspected?

I would like to do it myself as it will save time/money, but while I think my welds are ok, I don't know they are, if that makes sense.

Can I tack things together then just get someone to finish weld it, or will the tacks ruin the weld bead and make it look shoddy?

I built my own rear trailing links and such with a MIG. No particular inspection or weld testing was needed. If its a critical weld (e.g. front suspension) then NDT is required. 

Otherwise just reasonable quality welds seem to be OK. You can check with the local C-man if you like.

• Like 1

I will likely make the body mounts up, tack them in, then get him to come inspect, and at the same time show him some welds I've done on some scrap of a similar thickness. Then I can get a yes/no/some improvement needed, and then at least I know where to go from there. 

14 hours ago, cletus said:

Shiiiit that crash sucks. I've also been hit by a pissed idiot when I was in a van, not as bad as you though. Didn't want another van without engine in front after that

Good to hear you're coming right  

Cheers mate. Yeah, the only saving grace was that it was a 4wd van, so when we hit we essentially went over the bonnet of his little Corolla and then rolled. In a normal height Hiace, where he hit first (straight into the drivers A-pillar with about half a cars overlap, I was already well off the road trying to avoid him) would have been my legs gone. As it was I have a couple of gnarly scars on the shin of my right leg, but no damage to them other than that.

Damage to the van was intense, front RH suspension was ripped out, wheel was in about 30pcs.

12 hours ago, MACKAZ said:

Shit son. Where was your smash? 

On Mangakahia Rd, about 3kms from the Maungatapere turnoff (there is a little bridge just past Tattons Rd if you know the area). Only about 2 kms from home, we had driven from Pukekohe that day without incident, then get hit by this idiot just before getting home. 

On a fine day you can still see the marks on the road from where he locked up and skidded, and then where his engine leaked oil all over the road once he hit us. This is almost 5 months later now.

• Sad 1

Faaaaaark @ that crash. Seeing that only goes to put another nail in the coffin for our van. Ours is a 4wd hiace too. It puts the willies up me when we find a tourist coming round a corner on our side so I tend to drive it in super slow cautious mode. But not much one can do when a drink idiot crosses a centre line etc.  We've been planning a replacement for many years now, similar to what you're doing but with an old Bedford truck cab. Anything that ends up higher and with an engine in the front eh. 

I hope your back recovers awap and it all comes right. 

Really interested to see your tiny house build. It's certainly something we'll see more of as house prices get ever more ridiculous eh! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Faaaaaark @ that crash. Seeing that only goes to put another nail in the coffin for our van. Ours is a 4wd hiace too. It puts the willies up me when we find a tourist coming round a corner on our side so I tend to drive it in super slow cautious mode. But not much one can do when a drink idiot crosses a centre line etc.  We've been planning a replacement for many years now, similar to what you're doing but with an old Bedford truck cab. Anything that ends up higher and with an engine in the front eh. 

I hope your back recovers awap and it all comes right. 

Really interested to see your tiny house build. It's certainly something we'll see more of as house prices get ever more ridiculous eh! 

You can never 100% plan for idiots unfortunately. 

Back should be good, I am going to be easing back into the gym this month, at the recommendation of my physio, so gives an idea of how far it's come already. 

I have a little Suzuki Vitara offroader, a Lexus LS430 UL daily, and the tiny house, so the plan is to do a "Hayden's other projects" thread where I exhibit how fuckin' good I am at spending all of my time and money on stuff and things :tongue: (this doesn't include my Suzuki GSF250, the trailer project I bought and haven't done anything with yet or the other 1,000,000 things on my to-do list).   

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Cheers @Willdat?, yeah it's pretty cool, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or what that it's at the stage it is now, but had I not pulled it to pieces when I was younger with no real way of fixing things I likely would never have dived this far in and it almost would be stock. 

But such is life/projects, it gets away on ya. 

One thing I would really like to do in the future once this is done is to get a 2wd version and do the opposite of this, slammed, maybe an SR20DET, Silvia suspension all around. Then put it on a trailer behind this to tow it to the track haha. But like I keep having to tell myself, no new projects until I finish this one (/then buy a house probably). 

• 5 months later...

Thanks @Roman, yeah about 16 months on now the old back is about as healed as it will ever be, but mostly good. 

It's all starting to take some sort of shape, which is good, still hoping to get it done this year, but so much has come up financially/in general that it might be a bit of a mission.

Definitely ready for Nats 2021 though.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...