Rich1179's other mitsubishi

rich1179

Discussion here

Right this is starting, i don't know if it will work or if it will burn to the ground but that's the fun of a project right?

Over the weekend i managed to get the first big part of a plan that has been in the works for about 2 years.

this is a 24 valve mitsubishi V6 RWD 3.8 build

at this stage i have:

one mitsubishi 380, 6G75 motor from pick a part

one pair of engine mounts from a pajero

One set of nice tube headers for a pajero SOHC

lots of suborn determination (i feel it will be needed)

At this stage i am unsure what shell I'm going to use but i have 2 in mind.

one is a 1980 celeste shell I've had for a while now

the other is something i picked up about 6 months ago from a barn up north, a 1974 Mitsubishi GTO.

The GTO has the wrong motor already (that and i'm trading it with somebody for the headliner and interior trim), a shit exhaust and fiberglass front wings.

Photos will be loaded once i pull them off my phone....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2018 at 13:22, rich1179 said:

Ok first Question, what gearbox to use,

got 3 options, 

Mitsubishi R5M31 (Rare and expensive)

Holden T5 (cheep but big and bulky)

Toyota W57/58 (expensive but quite compacted)

swaying towards the Toyota as they are just known but open to comments

And plans changed... plan er D2 (yes there have been that many) is to look at using a great wall gearbox as they are a toyota copy so lets see if china can make a good copy :D found one at this stage that is a 6 speed. I believe its a double over drive unit but will find out when i go look at it this weekend

side note motor now has mounts( that are too wide), exhaust headers (that are too long) , a flywheel (bolts are too short) and a bellhousing (With the stater on the wrong side).

Yep lots of plans but have found its  smidge shorter and the same width as a 4g63 with turbo so looks like it will fit nicely in the hole. (I don't even have the GTO in Auckland)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok lots of parts sourcing been going on.. some needed others not so much however did get bored, yes that is an SC14 supercharger, and a weber. i'm not using ether at this stage :D... 

received_294441967952063.thumb.jpeg.3e10664a85992f0bc3279ee248c864e7.jpeg

also looking at moving so hopefully can start to make a big dent on the work

• 1 month later...

right long time no update but got some stuff sorted.

firstly mounts, one side is done the other needs a new motor side plate making but will be done soon. 

1235821470_Mount(Drivers).thumb.jpeg.e7a13f03a3a36ee159a2f6abf50f08d7.jpeg

secondly, the fueling system finaly showed up... need to make it fit now

Carbs.thumb.jpeg.0558094e431e57f48d90ec93f95721f0.jpeg

thirdly i did find a gearbox... I don't know if it will survive yet but its a 6 speed twin overdrive out of a Great wall v200 

2015093133_gearbox(original).jpg.916c88dad226e800017c6b47bbb37c54.jpg

so i got it for a good price then found it takes a nissan clutch that is the same diameter as the original (if by original i mean pajero 3L) cover and matches the flywheel

after that it was road trip to my good engineer friend with an old pajero bell housing and the gearbox to get the joined (this time it was not a 40mm spacer refer to rover page if you want to know).

As a side note for anyone with the same forethought and planing as me.. put the gearbox next to the original just once before this much work.... yes its huge but i will make it fit (and yes, that really was said to my girlfriend).

1126059236_Gearboxsidetoside.thumb.jpeg.e5163558c6abc3d3efc9b750b7c9ec94.jpeg

and this is what it looks like all bolted together

1617799635_motorgearbox.thumb.jpeg.b995388a669c018f4feedfb269c16cdd.jpeg

• Like 3

So whats the next stage... well firstly, i need to actualy get the engine/ box to the GTO (ive been moking this up on a spair celeste shell).

i know i need to at least notch the xmember to clear the sump. 

sadly will need to cut the tunnel a little to make way for the new 6speed but thats all part of the fun of this kind of swap, and before you all explode at me no this is not a perfect and clean GTO is been messed around with, arches on the back and fiber glass front wings. looks mean but needs to sound it too... and yes this is the first photo of the gto on this form

1132349939_GTOsneekpeek.thumb.jpeg.345568cf8b9d0e5cd269fdb2615ba523.jpeg

Like i said she is not a looker but being solid and had a lot of rust repairs already done will help.

as for interior I finally managed to track down all the little and odd parts I was missing, from one guy

Quick question, dose anyone here know or can help ether track down a fiberglass bonnet or another original one as i now know the carbs wont fit below and i dont want to cut up the only one i have ... just in case

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Right then bug xmas / new year work on car... 

firstly disclaimer if people don't like seeing cars meet a grinder don't keep looking

Right so I carted the v6 and 6speed up to keri keri over Xmas. And got the GTO finally into the garage. And stage 1 remove engine.

Done

received_2320874068197687.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...