SHIZZLs Super Hunter smack talk fred

shizzl

today I decided to freeze my buts off in the garage.

cleaned the block and moving parts.. reinstalled the pistons and crank assembly to check bearing oil clearances.

I used plastigage for a rough measurement.

All mains were well within spec, but 2 of the 5 have some grooving, there is no marking on the crank journals though.

Big ends are basically at brand new specs

top compression ring end gap is also at the min clearance range however a 2nd comp/scraper ring is broken aswell as 1 oil control ring.

my guess is that this engine got a rebuild no more than 20,000kms ago, but has sat for a considerable amount of time.

a couple of the frost plugs look new, where the remainder are heavily corroded.

Now the big task at hand is to locate a set of +60 rings, big end and mains bearings, full gasket/seal kit, head kit etc.

in the meantime I will plonk the head back on the block and make a start on the carb manifold and the headers.

while I was looking over this block today I noticed many ports in the block for oil and water galleries, would be simple enough to plumb a turbo into this block if I were ever keen to see the limits of it..probably not very high.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some days it just makes me want to set fire to this.

Battery is being a dick, so can't get it in for a wof fail yet, had the alternative tested, all fine. Battery tests over 12.5v but no sparkles..

Still need to get some kind of air filter on it cos I'm sure it needs them to run better tune wise.

Also looked at the big end bearings in the spare motor... they have major grooves in them, poked, but the crank has no marks at all.. has 030 on them so I'm almost guessing they're a +30 set . Mains bearings look mint

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wtf , how was this for luck..

Trolling trademe and this listing showed face.. immediate buy now damage was done

Ported and polished head with new valves (to be assembled) and alloy rocker cover..

Guessing it's close to a holbay spec..

Funny this is I offered to buy this from this guy months ago when he was selling the racecar, but never gave a price... 

Screenshot_20190825-225658.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well the world can go get fucked right now.

Was having a great day until some fuck knuckle list it into the hunter.

Normally wouldn't park it there but the landlord wanted it off the drive for a delivery to come in.

I'm so fucking pissed off.

The guy didn't even stop, I chased him down in my ute, had to cold rape it 6kms to catch him.

Cunt has no wof, no reg, no licence, no clue and bald tyres.

20191028_161721.jpg

• Sad 13

minimal poohs which im bloody stoked with..

he said this was 30mins work, he'll chuck 16 hrs at it.

the door handle was pushed in a bit so he'll sort that aswell as some pesky dents that were already there.. thatll make it straight as down that side only leaving a crease in the left front doort and small dent in the front left guard.

im really 50/50 whether to respray this or not ( same colour)... the patina of the faded worn away paint is cool but being a mint paint job is also lush...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

at a bit of a crossroad with this old girl at the moment.

have a couple of people who have offered some good coin to take her off my hands with the spare engine etc..

but I know ill miss it straight away and kick myself forever..

current situation is the front main seal/timing cover has started leaking (most common issue on these..

they dont use a conventional seal, think its more like a waxy piece of rope or some stupid contraption... plus the carbs need correct needles and tuning..

so do I :

A: rebuild the spare engine ($3-4K) then get it tuned to suit ($1), maybe get 130hp

B: drop in a MX5 engine and box, for modern reliability

option B will remove alot of the cars originality, so my question is, should I stick with the original set up, or modernise it?

if you dont need the money ...keep it man...bloody clean car.

and if you want to be able to jump in and drive all over the country without issue and good on fuel.....mx5 the bugger

you would regret selling it mate

and they fit pretty well......even with a wu-tang war whistle hanging of the side

11931218.jpg.5ffa5d765d5f52b41efd8e93044bed90.jpg

• Like 7

The main thing that puts me off it wiring, have been trying to find info on a simplified loom 

If a mx5 motor can be fitted without cutting the body up then it's a great option. 

Have only considered selling it as I want to get back into speedway.. I don't need the money, just the space it's in

• Like 1