Steering intermediate shaft adaptation?

WhangareiKE70

Hi all,

Looking at the steering setup of my Datsun/Patrol amalgamation, and as the patrol chassis is obviously wider than the original Datsun 720, the steering shaft is no longer a straight shot into the steering box.

I understand this means running an intermediate shaft, but I have a few questions regarding this. 

A ) Does the angle of the intermediate steering shaft matter, or as long as it isn't too hectically sharp and the angles are the same is on the input and output then it's all good? 

B ) If the splines don't match for the steering box and the steering column, can you purchase/have made adaptors? If so where/who would do this? And at which UJ would the adaptation happen, or does it not matter? 

C ) Will the shaft to the steering wheel and the one to the steering box require some sort of support now? 

Any help or advise would be hugely appreciated, most of my experience thus far has been buying and bolting parts, this project is my first major foray into proper custom stuff. Nothing like jumping in the deep end aye?

Cheers and thanks in advance. 

-Hayden.

• 4 months later...

hey mate.

Maybe some images would help.

I put an 80's hilux cab onto a SWB GQ chassis and (believe it or not) the hilux steering thing bolted straight to the patrol steering thing (I cannot remember if it was a patrol shaft or hilux that i used, but it works with no other parts except what came on those two cars.

Since the hilux and datsun are pretty similar widths i'm a tad confused as to how yours is so offset? 

Edit.. i think i know what you mean now, post pics to show us. You can buy nice UJ's for steering that have nearly any female spine you could use- and also spined shaft for intermediate shaft use. I'd say as long as the joints dont bind and its rigid then you'd be fine- however @cletus could advise you better.

PS, ensure any UJ's you buy do not have welds.

Engine placement

I will get a better photo when I get home but that gives you an idea. The body is hovering about half a meter over the chassis on the hoist. 

The angle of the photo is deceiving, but it has to travel approx 150mm across over the 4-500mm between the steering box and the firewall.

I connected it up (without the steering column not bolted in as it was too long) and the angle was harsh to say the least, the rag joint wasn't happy.

As I said, I will get a better photo hopefully tonight which should explain it better, and you can tell me if I'm being dumb, and what the obvious fix is if there is one.

-Hayden

IIRC it is the intermediate shaft that needs a support bearing.

Companies like Borgeson http://www.borgeson.com/index.html produce many universal joints that make adaptation easier. It might make sense to use a double-D shaft for the intermediate as it's easier to get the length adjusted than a splined shaft.

You should probably purchase the LVVTA Manual, or at least the steering chapter:

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/shop/chapter-7-steering-systems/

This is the place for cert questions

12 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

thats easy mate, just dont use rag joints.

im sad theres no 4.2 diesel :-D

I am also sad there is no TD42. But they are genuinely about 150mm longer than an RB25, and I have already had to cut the firewall to get that engine far enough back, while still maintaining room (just) for he radiator/fans. It was a very genuine consideration.

52 minutes ago, Nominal said:

IIRC it is the intermediate shaft that needs a support bearing.

Companies like Borgeson http://www.borgeson.com/index.html produce many universal joints that make adaptation easier. It might make sense to use a double-D shaft for the intermediate as it's easier to get the length adjusted than a splined shaft.

You should probably purchase the LVVTA Manual, or at least the steering chapter:

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/shop/chapter-7-steering-systems/

This is the place for cert questions

I have the NZCCM, and it has this section:

image.png.a0a350c7cedaa7a1c0b3c9baec69081e.png

Which is essentially my question. The pair of UJs (1 either side of the intermediate shaft) would be supported at the firewall, and the steering box. Is that what it's asking for, or some sort of inline bearing on the intermediate shaft?

I will post the question in the cert thread too but I wasn't sure if it belonged there or in the technical thread. Hence the confusion in my second post.

Cheers for the input guys/now I want a TD42 again.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

So this has come a fair way, have used a Patrol steering column very kindly supplied by @ThePog. Now have steering collapsibility etc.

As I had to change the firewall mounting etc, I moved it along so that it lines up with the steering box and all is good in the world, except the shaft is still too long. This isn't too much of a problem, I just need to cut the shaft to length and have it re-splined. Is this a job any old engineer can do or is there someone specific I should contact/someone anyone can recommend?

From what I understand this is ok as the shaft is just mild steel and isn't being welded? @cletus any input here? 

• Like 2