Nels Hb viva discussion

Mark_Fleming

On 22/04/2020 at 14:08, nels said:

D18D08CF-A104-4CF3-B2ED-F96996841CBF.png

Simon Burneys 40' Ford Coupe. The car was an animal and its owner was loose as. Before this reincarnation (and its still like this 30 odd years later) this coupe was a red oxide primer patchy looking ruffy. It ran a 402 BB Cheb and 4 Speed. Simon always rode it hard. I'll go out on a limb here but I'm remembering it was one of the first cars to front up with a narrowed bum all tucked under with a link suspension. I remember the hand formed alum bucket seats - unheard of for the time. Most cars of the era (and especially ones that were still tooling around on the street like this one did or did previously when in primer) wore their big tires sticking out and featured jacked up arses. Damn, I loved this jacked up look. The quintessential street racer. But yeah .... Simon Burneys manual BB pre-war coupe. Sowed the seed for wanting something similar of my own one day.   

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Johnny..I fricken loved watching this thing also.

used to rev to 8000 easy..would absolutely scream..bloody awesome.

Simons coupe was the shit back in the day.

really miss that cool hot rod class at the drags.

Edited by nels

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @nels two questions ... you say don't weld or don't weld all(?) of the rear tub to the inside of the rear fender. Just so I picture it right - the tub is welded front, rear and to the chassis rail but sits near as flush to, and is contoured to the inside of the rear guard - but not permanently fixed to it. Yeah? If not, can you put my understanding right mate? Also, what do you use to seal (is it sealed?) the tub to the inside of the guard if it is floating there? Ta.

And, when you decided to stretch the rear wheel arch - was there any method to the madness? Or just what looks good/some space to get the wheel off. Cheers man. Ta. 

Hi Johnny

I got my info on the wheel tubs from a drag racing forum in the states and 95 % of contributors all said not to weld the entire wheel tub as it warps and doesn’t allow enough flex.

Idea is to spot weld or run only about an inch  intermittently and seam seal the rest on both sides. Use a good quality one.

With the extending of the wheel arch the viva rear quarter really tucks in towards the back so had to move it about 4 inches to accomodate the rear tyres.

I cut just below the crease line and tacked in place where the lower openings looked the same. Just spot weld in different spots and both sides and move around to stop any warping.

Best of luck with it all and look forward to some photos.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback on the paint.

The Colour was a direct match of the original viva wagon as my mate dave who painted it all those years ago was the one who has done all the stonechipping also.

It has a very metallic base to it and should really pop outside in the sun.

Its funny cos just finishing up the interior and seeing the green it took me straight back to being in the wagon.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...