Tyre tread pattern vs width

Scrubb

Okay, so I have a couple of noob questions which I can't find any answers for online and hopefully some of you guys can fill some gaps for me.

I need some new tyres for my EX Lancer, and because my car is so clean and original, I think I've decided to keep the original tyre size of 165/80R13 instead of going for the wider, more commonly available 185/70R13 to preserve that same ride and feel the vehicle would have had back in the day. I have Toyo T1R's on my Turbo lancer for when I want that more sporty feel.

There's a couple of tyre models and brands I'm contemplating and I realise grip is always going to be a huge compromise at this small tyre width, but I'm looking at these:
Goodride RP28
Goodyear DuraPlus (Asymmetric)
Toyo Nano Energy 3 Eco Premium (I have these on my gf's car in 185 width and have no complaints)

So my questions:

1. Am I being silly going for the skinnier 165mm width tyres over the commonly available 185?
2. With the smaller width, would there be a potential disadvantage going for the asymmetric tyres?
3. Can I tell by looking at the tread pattern what characteristics a tyre might have? (Does this even matter for such a small width?)

Thoughts/suggestions/criticims? :P

• Like 1

I don't think you'll notice 10mm on either side of a tire (165>185) & common sense would go there, even just for the extra grip & safety is why I run 185's on my Avenger, yep does affect speedo, more than you realise & becomes evident with a GPS

so yeah : keen to follow this discussion & where it goes too!

the 77$ 13" Whitewalls in the petrolhead magazine look tempting too!

33 minutes ago, JoKer said:

I don't think you'll notice 10mm on either side of a tire (165>185) & common sense would go there, even just for the extra grip & safety is why I run 185's on my Avenger, yep does affect speedo, more than you realise & becomes evident with a GPS

so yeah : keen to follow this discussion & where it goes too!

the 77$ 13" Whitewalls in the petrolhead magazine look tempting too!

I've had 185's on one of my other Lancers before and I did notice quite a difference and the steering was heavier, but the biggest difference was the grip was probably 500% better than the 165's which was awesome! - hard decision for me.

Speedo reading shouldn't be too much of an issue, I think:
image.png.622c742cde12d1ce8c608cc57459cd2b.png

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kiwiplymouth said:

No woodburner to recut cross plys? 

They took them off me due to rotted sidewalls. Oh well 35 years is good milage for a tyre

11 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Managed to get some Toyo 155's for my Minor from a MM parts man who imported them. Wider tires can look pretty balloony on narrow rims.

(Saw a mouse running across the garage floor when I went to check the sizing - now I have two problems)

Yeah I'm Gona pop my centres in some modern barrels (one day)

6 hours ago, Scrubb said:

So my questions:

1. Am I being silly going for the skinnier 165mm width tyres over the commonly available 185? - Yes 
2. With the smaller width, would there be a potential disadvantage going for the asymmetric tyres? - Probably not
3. Can I tell by looking at the tread pattern what characteristics a tyre might have? (Does this even matter for such a small width?)  - Wont really matter for the speeds you're doing unless you enjoy a good thrashing around the hills (and a drive after). The more groves in the tread the less rubber contacting the road in the dry but better water dispersion in the wet. 

the tyre compound is more important than the tread pattern in general. but I wouldnt be all that worried if the car has original brakes and engine, and you know the car and drive it to its braking and cornering abilities. Get what you can that looks right, if possible from one of the more well known tyre companys, in whichever has the softest compound if you have that choice.  ie michellin, yokohama, bridgestone, toyo etc. not cheapo plastic china brand that comes in a plastic bag and has less grip than a mcdonalds tray. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

I think I'm going to see if I can try some 165's on these wheels and see how they look, if I remember correctly they may have looked a little baloony last time I had them on, so may stick with 165's as long as they're still available, we'll see!

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

next time you're near it see what's stamped on them maybe? (could be hard or easy to find) might be letter + Number combo will tell you 

for example

774937895.jpg

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/listing-1755186225.htm

is pretty easy to see (13x6) sometimes you just have the 6J number ( the letters refer to the profile or type of rim according to google

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/wheels/wheel-markings

4.5" to 5" is standard for 165 wide tyres.  Can put 185's on without a problem though.

Answers to questions;

1. Yes - the wider tyres will drive much nicer than the 165's.  + you have way more options available to you.

2. Assymetric tyres are pretty much the way of the future with tyres anyway.  Some brands are coming up with split compounds, and they can fine tune parts of the tyre for different thing. (Such as outer shoulder firmer/more solid for cornering, but inside half the tyre more for everyday comfort sort of thing)

3. Na, you can get a rough idea on it's water dispersion capabilities but thats it.

I'd recommend going to the 185/70R13.  As far as options go, #1 recommendation would be a Michelin Energy XM2, but they're priced pretty high for a 13" tyre (retail $150+gst).  Well worth it though.

Otherwise, Yokohama AE01, or Toyo NanoEnergy3.

Also, speedo difference will be less than 1%

Well you're not going to get an original feeling for the car by putting modern high grip tyres on it, even if they are 165 width. 

Buy some triangles or linglongs or something and wallow about disastrously like it would have on factory fitted tyres haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2