Nels Hb viva build

nels

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nels

Top Posters In This Topic

Made up a tool to insert the chrome strip and I installed that today.

also found the little chrome clips that cover the back corners and front join. A bit of tinfoil and elbow grease and they will come up like new.

B4BEE164-E5D2-4615-8949-1CEC2EA4C388.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

This arrived last week from the States so I’m starting the process of running all the wiring and getting everything I can hooked up and ready for the sparky to test it all.

if it’s anything like the last two times I did it on a ford pop and 55 chevy this will take me ages..I’m bloody slow at this stuff.

I used the same kind of kit way back in the early nineties and it’s good to see the quality is still the same.

32F3CF3B-7188-45C8-A601-7B299B575028.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

It’s been a busy end to the year and a quick start to the new one.

managed a little trip down to Horopito to pick up a few bits and a drivers side glass which was great.

got most of the wiring connected ready for the sparky to check it all over before I tidy it up and throw it all up behind the dash.

BF754272-A885-4330-952F-28BE82E82173.jpeg

• Like 8

Started to make up a template for a neutral safety switch for the shifter.

The B & M shifter I have is the very first model they made 60 series with a gate shift pattern but no safety switch

Just going to add a couple of dimples in the right places to activate the micro switch.

B1E3A9BE-21FD-4613-9A9F-2442D08CD74C.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Turns out trying to get rear quarter window rubbers for the HBs fixed windows is impossible even in the Uk.

so only option was to get a whole lot of samples sent from Basis to see what could work.

94F75651-1C81-431E-9E7D-70889128712F.jpeg

• Like 3

Finally found one that had a thick enough base to hold the glass in place securely as the viva has a deep channel to it.

the rubber had a flap on the bottom also and the side profile was quite bulgy so we trimmed the flap off and also shaved the profile so the trims could sit better on them.

A6977C6A-67E2-419D-9A69-5428D935EAF3.jpeg

• Like 3

A very helpful guy with a sweet HB Gt gave me some very good trims to work with as mine were rusted to bits.

I’ve ground the piece off the back that used to slip into the old rubbers and will urethane them in place once I’ve installed and sealed the windows 

81990DB1-850C-4FFF-AE46-9FF20C75A4C8.jpeg

• Like 3