My Toyota Crown 5m situation

junglesponge

You'd need fuel pump (maybe even tank), fuel lines, loom, all of the associated sensors etc. You'd be better building an aftermarket setup for it. But at the cost involved and the guarantee of a blown head gasket in the future you'd be best off just going 1JZ or 2JZ.

• Like 3

Lol I have actually been contemplating the same thing.  Been midly sick of throwing dollars down the fuel filler, but in reality I don't think it would make much difference. 

Things to note: the ecu from a 5me doesn't control the ignition,  that's all done at the module for the electronic ignition. 

So it really only does fuel, and a bunch of emissions stuff. Which does make it a slightly easier conversion.  Could easy eliminate all the emissions shit and have a pretty basic setup. Manifolds fit straight on etc. Then its just a matter of powering the ecu, and fitting an inline fuel pump,  assuming you car has a fuel return from the carb like mine did? 

But yeah.  I don't actually know if the gains are worth the effort.  One thing I have been contemplating is swapping to a 5mge setup from an mx73. At least that way there is more power to be had with twin cam life and probably more fuel efficiency also. And shitty old cressidas are still around with the right hunting. 

Really wish Toyota had made a deisel motor series close to ld28. Oh well.

• Like 1

Never added it up but I think total gas was over $500, but that is of course including the ham-welly trip. Best economy I've seen is 10L/100km but I'm sure that's simply because I drive like a Muppet, I reckon a tunable ECU will allow some decent improvement

electronic ignition definite upgrade if on points at present. usually later model engine might have a compatible distributor but I dont know toyota m_aybe series details. 

programmable ignition would be even better but more involved to setup. still would be mostly wires and a couple of sensors so less than installing a fuel system needing pump and manifold and lines etc. etc.

this is vaguely topical

tbh the stealth brand electronic conversion kits are far better than old clapped out toyota stuff. if the coil, module and dizzy aren't exactly the right match it wont work. 

they make one for a F series landcruiser which has the same dizzy as early crown. the dizzy caps are the same as well, actually its the clip on dizzy caps that are the same, the screw on ones are different. anywho the stealth kit is far easier and will work out of the box. i spent ages trying to get the stock toyota stuff to work on two occasions and its a ball ache.  

• Like 1