Nick's 1979 RX125 resto

TimShadboltfan27

• 3 weeks later...

Little bit of progress on this thing, has been a bit of a one step forward two steps back type operation. Have taken this for a few test rides so far. Can confirm it goes hard for what it is. should try track down a go pro for some gnarly helmet cam footage and wind noise. 

Two problems have arisen since riding this thing;

One, it is wayyyyy too rich. It is flooding the bike and wont start. I have adjusted the needle and running std main jet size, so the mid range and WOT feels okay, but it will not idle. The pilot jet is sadly mashed in there and seized, not even an ezy out could extract it. going to have to drill it out and tap the thread again, so need to track down a tap for the appropriate thread pitch. Then will smash std size pilot in and start tuning from scratch.

Two, the clutch slips. Well, not really slips, but the disengage is very delayed, you change gear and about 5 seconds later the clutch releases and finds the intended gear. ugh, cases have to come apart again. So last night i pulled motor apart and the clutch plates looked okay, hard to tell if worn but they were pretty thin at 2.5mm. No worries i thought, i'll just swap the plates out from my low kms replacement motor.

adjbw58.jpg?1

yeeeeea im probably gonna go ahead and not use those....

So this is where i am. now waiting for a clutch birthday parcel - springs and friction plates from Yambits. Bout a week turnaround for shipping. 

dBPcxfK.jpg?1

But i have made progress where it counts, with the installation of the world's most vital and MUST-HAVE ADV accessory - the Aliexpress dart pouch, the PPSC weapon of choice for securing your Winny Blues on long rides. 

Vlalj68.jpg?1

• Like 4

21 hours ago, kicker said:

Check your clutch cable too, gummy ones can cause slow engagement.
I had to do my restricted test with a sticky cable, made it interesting 

yea brand spanking clutch cable which ive made plenty of adjustments to. What ive noticed is with the bars being very low, my cables like to kink up behind the headlight and along the frame. need to swap out for some higher rise ones which may help as well.

11 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

Clutch springs should help a lot. I upgraded the FS1 to use MX100 springs and the slip has finally gone away.

yep though i may as well replace em, may smash a couple washers in there as well for max tightness.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

More joyous progress on this thing. I got me new clutch pads and springs. The new springs were considerably tighter than the existing ones, they definitely helped a lot. 

There's a lot of conflicting home-mechanic information on the internet about installing clutch pads, and how long you should soak them in oil for. Some suggest an hour, some a day, and a few "ex-GP" mechanics recommend months. I am impatient and soaked them for an hour. 
It feels great now, best clutch i've ever felt on a bike so i call that a win. The first couple of mangs it did slip a small amount, but once motor got some heat into it the clutch has felt fine and no further issues. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts. 

Ghs2elj.jpg?1

Carb now has standard size pilot jet in it and idles nicely. Still a little rich, but ok for now. Just need to get some miles on it. A lot of faffing around has gone into making it run nicely, i had to make a frankenstein throttle cable out of four, then had a local bike mechanic shorten the upper cable as it was too shlong.
With a smooth throttle cable, new front brake and new clutch it feels like i just bought this thing off the show room floor!

I just need a mirror and to get both brake switches to work and i am ready to pay a visit to the re-vin man. Much excitement. 

NXBklTD.jpg?1

also spotted this wild as fuck RX125 at the DGR in Wellington - sounds just as wild as it looks. Some inspiration for further down the track...

j5BfCqm.jpg?1

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Aaaaand she’s legal as a drug sniffing beagle!

i described my revin process in the revin thread, but today I got this thing back on the road. Stoked as fuck. even get to keep the original plate! 68 Gag em 
009EA2F9-C2F5-4E76-9F26-C3A046A126BD.jpeg.247853db6bd4ff23f3210de95e554e84.jpeg

since last update I decided I thought I’d bang some off road-ish tyres on it considering my main premise for this bike is light off road duties. 
I managed to track down a PPSC control tyre Shinko SR241 in 2.75 x 18 for the front and a Shinko SR244 in 3.00 x 18 for the rear. The front needed a bit of a massage and some self clearancing to fit, but the rear fits comfortably. 
26C94234-0D2F-431F-9DA6-118A0AF348F1.jpeg.6bbedcd437174a6664bed6d01a250588.jpeg

66EB5852-54B2-4193-8632-D83E316EEAD6.jpeg.f748c7715043ddb5af4da5f50fb49ba3.jpeg

well what now!?!! I need to get the seat recovered and paint those side covers in original silver. Decided I’m gonna keep the OG silver tank and it’s patina, and get some decals done. then perhaps make some tasteful scrambler mods....

Bring on the Te Urewera Undertaking!!!

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...

Man for ease of motocamping id recommend an aliexpress parachute hammock and a fly sheet for minimal space and enough comfort. My fly sheet hammock and sleeping bag packs down to half the size of  a 2 person tent and is 100% more comfortable than sleeping on the ground 

• Like 3

Yea I think I’ll cop one of those hammocks and test it out, but yea as cam said a lot of camp spots don’t have enough trees to provide for such a set up. 

kathmandu have a pretty killer one man tent that can be had for under 200 clams on sale and packs small and reasonably light I would probably go for that option 

Ive been rolling a Alixpress Hammock tent for last few years now and always rated it. But have found it getting a bit colder in the south here on the underside when sleeping.

Just tested out my new setup last night on the welly campover.

Nemo Hornet 1 person tent. With Nemo sleeping pad. And new sleeping bag from same shop. All the gear is super duper lightweight and packs down smaller than my hammock tent setup. The tent it self weighs less than two tshirts. Got hot last night despite being quite cold outside. Would recomend. Gonna take on Bike mission in the new year id say

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dolan said:

Need trees to tie to? Our campsites only had us ppsc dudes massive boners for small bike camping to tie shit to tbh. Which would have been fine to swing a hammock from but then there’s nobody to go in the hammock

Met a cyclist in South America. He just had a hammock. He would tie one end to a fence or whatever and use it like a bivy when no trees anywhere

http://aroundontwowheels.blogspot.com/?m=1

My current sleeping mat is one of these

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/camping/stretchers-mattresses/other/listing-2442948898.htm?rsqid=a96afee8ab3c441c832f0b11f25bf442-004

Folded to the desires thickness and the extra cut off. Majorly warm with what is effectively a survival blanket on it. Which is ideal for me because I use those old macpac down sleeping bags that have nothing on the underside, but compact down to the size of a 440ml Waikato. Might change to a quilt one day.

I started using one as a bathtub type floor in n old no longer waterproof tent and found I preferred it over my admittedly worn out and full of holes thermorest, foam doesn't deflate at least. I will probably take a painters plastic sheet as a tarp next time too tho

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After getting my cushy posterior punished on Te Ureweras, i decided to look further into the suspension department. the rear has like 0 travel in those old shocks, might as well be hard tailed jim.

So when a mudbug came up for wrecking on trademe, all i could think of was how cool this would look with those quintessential yellow springs on the rear. 

Took a punt and wanged them on. they are in average condition but what mudbug isnt? popped the standard suspension mount bushings out and swapped them into the mudbug shocks and was direct bolt on m9 

WRlRThU.jpg?1

country calendar theme plays

jJrKyLC.jpg?1

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Lockdown gave me some motivation to do some quintessential 2 stroke maintenance. Everyone's favourite job - crank seals! 

This thing hasnt shown any signs of having fucked crank seals, but the motor was in unknown condition when i got it, and did show signs of hard starting and other giveaways. I had ordered a set in one of my previous yambits order cos i knew theyd need doing at some point. what better time than now ? 

Removal of old seals

Pretty straight forward. Disassemble bike to get to engine side covers. remove side covers

spacer.png

the right side required removal of the clutch and a few worm gears that operated the oil pump. this seal was easily accessible and you could remove it with a small pick. send new seal home with appropriately sized socket and job tidy. 

spacer.png

Left side bit easier to get to, you can see the old one was doing a bit of wees which indicated he was pretty tired. Replacement requires the removal of flywheel. then the points and magento behind it. This one required a trick out of Great Uncle Kenny's engineering handbook, by screwing a tecky into the old seal then pulling it out with a pair of pliers. New seal pressed in with a flat punch.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This job then revealed more issues i need to remedy before i can put her back together; the kickstart oil seal is chooched. was doing mega wees on Te Ureweras (was hoping itd self-seal with a bit of Motu gravel tbh) and then pulling the clutch cover off truly reemed it. The points also look average and duller than a British weekend. so i will whack a new set in and hopefully unleash some more electrical horse power???? probably not

This thing has a never ending to do list but at least the bits are available and easy to obtain. Will whack a yambits order in, along with a piston kit and away we go. 

Hoo Roo

• Like 5

• 8 months later...