Battery chargers

yetchh

What sort of god chargers do you guys use, had this real old 6 amp charger but it seemed to have stopped working.. bought a 10 amp 7 step sca charger, they any good? About $170 or is there better or there for that money?.. cheers

I have a Repco 8A 6/7 stage thing, has saved a few batteries. What you have should be sweet, if you already have it, not sure?

I had seen C Tek were sweet too (and with long warranty), got the Repco one because it was on special and I was sick of buying new batteries.

Ive noticed some of the new chargers are to sensitive and to many safety features  if a battery is really flat , i sometimes have to hook up another one to it at the same time to get it to start charging,

Id be tempted to hunt around for one of the old ones at about 20amps.

Great for electrolysis cleaning too.

• Like 3

Ctek are good because they charge then maintain the battery. They have different sizes for different applications. But you can also buy the little connectors seperate so you can have one charger and then have the permanent connectors on all you batteries. It then is plug and play. Super handy for motor bikes and jet skis where batteries are often hard to reach.

• Like 1

I bought a $90 jobbie off aliexpress can charge at 20 amps but also has enough balls to jumpstart,  bonus feature is a desulphation function which breaks up the acid crystals that fuck batteries. Its revived several big 6 volt deep cycle batteries now bloody good value.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, nzed said:

10amp is sweet for that money. Probably only question would be sca quality.

I have ctek 5amp smart charger and it's great but would certainly love a big old girl that just whacks the grunt in as smart chargers suck balls on old batteries or ones that are quite flat. 

Yeah have been looking at the ctek chargers, on the pricey side.. was wondering if the century chargers are any good also, for the same price but only 6 amps..

The sca one I bought also has a desulphation stage,  had a battery in my zephyr that was iffy.. hasn't changed anything, it is 9 years old tho.

19 minutes ago, yetchh said:

Yeah have been looking at the ctek chargers, on the pricey side.. was wondering if the century chargers are any good also, for the same price but only 6 amps..

The sca one I bought also has a desulphation stage,  had a battery in my zephyr that was iffy.. hasn't changed anything, it is 9 years old tho.

They are on sale quite often at SCA/Repco. I bought one a while back, work OK and I like being able to leave it connected all the time. 

I'm not really sure if they are better for the battery than my Repco cheapie one though. I find that works better on really dead/paddock car batteries at the Ctek won't charge those sometimes.

I bought a couple of expensive battery conditioners as was sick of replacing batteries coozed from sitting. Work great, but I stupidly tossed the old 'dumb' charger.

Course the fancy-pants ones don't work when you've completely flattened your batt, so had to find another old school one to bring them back up to a level the brainiac chargers would work on...

• Like 3

I've charged multiple dead flat batteries with mine, might be hit and miss with the charger models. Lent it to OS'ers too who had batteries they had given up on. Batteries can be too far gone too though, up shit creek in that case haha.

16 hours ago, Get it done said:

Ive noticed some of the new chargers are to sensitive and to many safety features  if a battery is really flat , i sometimes have to hook up another one to it at the same time to get it to start charging

Also had to "jumpstart" the battery charge on my 5A Ctek before, but that was for a 6v motorbike battery that had been at 0v for about 5 years. It did manage to charge it, but the battery was poked and didnt hold a charge long. Big fan of the Ctek chargers, quick, reliable and simple.

A lot of brands use Ctek as their official branded charger too. All the chargers we had at Mercedes were Ctek, albeit the massive top of the line ones.

how long should batteries even last anyway? The old battery on Jane's car was only 5 years old but got to a point where it's CCA was only like 240 (repco test) and would turn the engine over quite slowly when engine was cold/ been sitting a few days and would only hold enough charge for one start so you couldn't just move the car a few metres to get another car out.  After doing that the engine would still turn over but super slow. Battery must have had a bung cell or something causing high internal resistance. 

Threw a new battery in the other day so should be good now