KK's Honda Cub

KKtrips

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that’s epic as fuck. Also that shop sounds like a bunch of fucks. I work at a bike shop and getting that running shouldn’t take more than a couple of hundred bucks, that’s if things are chooched. 

Sounds like they quoted you the ‘we can’t be fucked working on this because it’s not a big bike and nothing is cool except for what we like’ price. 

You can buy the tail sections and get them welded on if that concerns you. I can hunt down the eBay link. Either way deluxe frames give me major boners and look way more delicious than the other type. 

Edit: eBay link for tail section:

Click this and keep deluxe

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MopedNZ said:

Sounds like they quoted you the ‘we can’t be fucked working on this because it’s not a big bike and nothing is cool except for what we like’ price. 

Click this and keep deluxe

The 2 mechanics were young guys and said they were both super into Cubs, in fact they were fizzing and showing me photos of theirs when I took it in.

I have no reason to believe it, but it almost felt like they had decided to smash me with a super high quote so I wouldn't do the work and then hit me with a hefty bill for them looking at it so I would tell them to keep the bike in exchange for the labour or something like that.

Having worked in workshops for a few years, I have seen the old "buy cheap, fix and flick for profit" trick from some of my less scrupulous workmates...

Oh yeah - they also tried to sting me $10 (a day?) for storage of the bike over the last week but the parts girl felt bad about the amount of the bill and took it off. I would have flipped out if they did charge me cos they had the bike for the whole last week because I was waiting for a phone call to let me know what was going on and I had to ring them on Wednesday to get an update.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

The 2 mechanics were young guys and said they were both super into Cubs, in fact they were fizzing and showing me photos of theirs when I took it in.

I have no reason to believe it, but it almost felt like they had decided to smash me with a super high quote so I wouldn't do the work and then hit me with a hefty bill for them looking at it so I would tell them to keep the bike in exchange for the labour or something like that.

Having worked in workshops for a few years, I have seen the old "buy cheap, fix and flick for profit" trick from some of my less scrupulous workmates...

Oh yeah - they also tried to sting me $10 (a day?) for storage of the bike over the last week but the parts girl felt bad about the amount of the bill and took it off. I would have flipped out if they did charge me cos they had the bike for the whole last week because I was waiting for a phone call to let me know what was going on and I had to ring them on Wednesday to get an update.

Jesus. Charging for storage. That’s cooked.

Anyway won’t stray off topic anymore. Love your bike and can’t wait to see what becomes of it!

• Like 1

They’re welded on usually. The original ones were pressed and had spot welds. The circled part in the photo below. I ended up cutting it at that join, so if it’s higher up than that on yours then I guess someone’s cut further up. Could still be made to work. 

If you search c50 rear fender on eBay there’s a few different options. They sell it blank without the taillight mount I think. 

99653F28-1A56-4362-B5DF-D0F966B3D66C.jpeg

2 minutes ago, My name is Russell said:

Whats actually wrong with the bike? 

Doesn't run because it's sat there for 9 months without being ridden. Plus I want to tidy it up a little bit.

1 minute ago, MopedNZ said:

They’re welded on usually. The original ones were pressed and had spot welds. The circled part in the photo below. I ended up cutting it at that join, so if it’s higher up than that on yours then I guess someone’s cut further up. Could still be made to work. 

If you search c50 rear fender on eBay there’s a few different options. They sell it blank without the taillight mount I think. 

Awesome, I think that may be the spot where mine is cut so it might be an easyish fix.

• Like 1

When it comes to wiring get one of these trailtech units for your lights (Regulator) 

https://www.trailtech.net/accessories/electrical-accessories/7003-ac01

Best things ever! These little pit bike engines have mad voltage fluctuations,  I run trailtech's on all my bikes and until i discovered them i had endless problems with headlights blowing for years. 

No need for a battery and just a few wires required and you will be up and running.  

https://www.trailtech.net/media/wysiwyg/pdf/010-ELV-106.pdf

Can handle all the revs and river crossings all day long

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, KKtrips said:

Awesome, I think that may be the spot where mine is cut so it might be an easyish fix.

Yeah, I chopped it at the line so the main part of the body is untouched, I'm glad I unstitched the plate/light mount, might be handy after all :)

tail.jpg

• Like 3