Making a part for power hacksaw practical?

Adoom

So I bought an old as power hacksaw. It works okay, but it's missing a piece of the mechanism that lifts the blade on the backstroke.

The saw has no branding, but it's a model that has been sold under many names. Sears, Craftsman, Dunlap, Excell, Atlas, Covel, etc...

IMAG0827.thumb.jpg.5af8a2460b55c940aa61c257f3a1d570.jpg

IMAG0826.thumb.jpg.1754456f24d2e223a334e0981a700c19.jpg

The missing part is the ratchet feed block. It's intended to be replaced when it wears. But it's NLA.

It looks like this.

5b63f9e013002_Feedratchetblock.jpg.77d4e846fd5f49a5d53f2de5c68db5e7.jpg

The manufacturer released the engineering drawing for the part after it was discontinued. I wondered if there is enough information to model it to use a cnc mill to replicate it? And would it be economical to make?

5b63fd694baa5_feedblockdrawing.JPG.ee8757090a7511042c31e199c8bac50c.JPG

• Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with making that is the teeth, would need to grind a tool specifically, or if you're moneybags would be a simple wirecut job....

Very simple part to draw up, the tooth detail is a bit light but could fudge it easy enough.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, peteretep said:

could get a few of them laser cut  from 5mm plate and stick/weld them together? The teeth don't need to be super accurate?

This is by far the easiest/cheapest way. Just draw it up in cad so that u dont have to pay someone else to do it. 

Maybe go thinner than 5mm even to help keep as much detail as possible? Even 2mm would be fine.

Edit.

And then send the plates to heat treatments

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyingbrick said:

Do you need someone to draw it? I'll do it for you.

If you want to, that would be great! I've never got anything laser cut, so I need to find out if there is someplace near me/work that does it.

• Like 1

To be honest i have no idea- no drama for me to get you a price on monday tho. Ya may even be surprised.

Im no material expert but reckon gauge plate could be great for this as the laser will make the cut edges super super hard. (Just experience has shown this to be the case)

14 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

To be honest i have no idea- no drama for me to get you a price on monday tho. Ya may even be surprised.

Im no material expert but reckon gauge plate could be great for this as the laser will make the cut edges super super hard. (Just experience has shown this to be the case)

Cool, I'll wait for Monday then. Thanks!