AW11 flywheel and clutch compatibility

Vertigo

Hi guys. What is the relationship between engine, gearbox, flywheel, and clutch?

My 4AGZE smallport was mated to my C52 gearbox through a lightened flywheel and suitable clutch, I presume. It bolts up to the flywheel just fine, and is the right diameter, afaik - 212mm. Everything looks right. When it was installed in the car, the clutch wouldnt disengage fully, and wouldnt let gears be selected. We bled the system over and over to ensure no air in the system, and could not find any.

The flywheel is 262mm diameter, with a 212mm clutch surface. It is 27mm wide at the edge, and 9mm wide in the center.

What do I need to do to make it work? What do I need to keep in mind when mixing parts from various 4AGE types?

Also, I will be swapping the box for a C56 soon. Will this change the math at all?

This happened a few years ago, and when it was apparent that it wasnt going to work, we took it off and put the original clutch back in.

It is a heavy duty clutch, sourced to go in the turbo project, but because the non-clutch parts came from a few different cars, and some werent known at all, there was some guess work involved.

The engine is a 4AGZE smallport from either an AE92 or AE101.

The gearbox is the C52 that came with the AW11.

The clutch is a 212mm unit, as is the flywheel. The shop asked what engine etc it was for, and so put the kit together with that in mind, including release bearing.

Toyota NZ tells me there are two sizes of bearing - 74.15mm and 83.8mm. Its possible the release bearing that was provided was not correct for the application.

Yeah, it sounds like the release bearing could be your issue. If it's too long it won't disengage properly. 

The only other thing that could cause it is an incorrect pressure plate that has the wrong offset to the fingers. 

C56 and C52 gearboxes are the same aside from ratios and sometimes starter position. 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Could you elaborate on the offset to the fingers of the pressure plate, and how that could cause problems?

If the clutch cover is thicker overall the fingers could be running on the bearing full time. This would only be the case if you've got the wrong pressure plate / clutch cover. 

The clutch thickness is pretty much the same as the old one that did work. Hmm.

I mock fitted the clutch inside an old C50 I have lying around, and measured the distance from the bellhousing lip to the flywheel gear ring with the clutch fully disengaged (so, sitting on the release bearing), and came out to 16mm. If at all possible, can someone check this for me with a working clutch? Curious if its different.

Maybe this does not apply.... but I installed a new 'hybrid' puk clutch at the same time as a machined flywheel.

It would not fully disengage. With the car on stands, the wheels were still turning when the clutch was disengaged, but you could stop the wheel with very light brake pressure, or even holding on to the wheel.

Eventually discovered that the clutch needed to bed in to the flywheel a bit, then it was fine. Like jack the car up, start it in gear, disengage the clutch and hold the brakes on for a while. That improved it a bit, so I took it for a short drive and it got much better/stopped doing it.

But maybe you have a different problem... 

Im honestly running out of possible explanations, so Im willing to entertain that possibility! Everything looks like it should work.

Ill attempt it again, this time in the C56, when I swap engines. And Ill attempt to break it in a bit. Fingers crossed.