Electric fan sensor placement

daveyc123

I'm trying to fit an electric fan sensor on my viva. I bought a hose adaptor but my top radiator hose isn't long enough to house it. I feel it will kink the hose. 

What other options do I have? Could I tap a hole into the top of the thermostat housing? 

The obvious thing would be the bottom radiator hose, but I was told the sensor should be in the top hose.

Any help appreciated!

20180623_144913-300x300.jpg

• Like 1

Could put it into the the thermostat housing, that's how Toyota 4Ks do it. Might introduce too much stress and cause a crack though.

But yeah, you'd want a lower temp switch for radiator outlet hose otherwise your engine would run too hot. That and the fact that the outlet temperature of the radiator is nowhere near as directly correlated with the engine temperature as the inlet.

Have you already bought the sender? Only asking as I had one that looks the same as you have, and I couldn't for the life of me find a sender that was the right temp range I wanted in that thread.. (1/8bsp I think?) just something to consider before you go chopping hoses etc. If I was gonna do it again I'd probably get one welded in radiator top near Inlet. 

• Like 1

I have the sender, everything is all wired in! 

I have picked up an original fan (I didn't have one) so my current thoughts are to fit the original fan and just have the electric fan on a switch in case of over heating. At a later date I can look into getting the radiator drilled to take a sensor!

For monitoring engine temperature (i.e. to control a gauge) the sender needs to be mounted in either the top radiator hose or preferably in the thermostat housing. Reason being is that the objective is to show the temperature of the water coming from the engine not the radiator. The sender is essentially a temperature controlled rheostat.

The job the OP’s ‘electric fan sensor’ is required to perform is to switch on the cooling fan when the supply of cooled water from the radiator (i.e. the bottom hose supplying the engine) is insufficient to allow the thermostat to keep the engine at the optimum stable temperature.  Put simply the fan sensor switch is there to regulate the temperature of the water the radiator is delivering to the motor, not the temperature of the motor itself.

Temp gauge sender in the top rad hose (or thermostat housing) and radiator fan temp switch in the lower hose. Hope this clarifies the issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1