Raizer is losing the plot with Scooters!

Raizer

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had anywhere near as much scooter time as I'd like lately.

Managed to get a few hours to muck around with Barbie tonight though.

Squirt of engine start and 2 kicks was all it took to get the purple parts one started up, sounded healthy enough without the exhaust so I pulled it from the frame.

Removed the old engine with collapsed bearings from Barbie

IMG_20180916_194752.jpg.88845c64e9bdac585bb0cc7c2664957d.jpg

Fitted the old Gyro brake shoes etc to the new one and bolted it in.

Managed to get it running fairly well, the gas and oil in the tanks are likely from 1998 and the resulting smoke clouds smell like death haha, first burnout was achieved first start ha.

IMG_20180916_205752.jpg.e35418427d7b602e319895b4027445fe.jpg

Next steps are: unlock front wheel, maybe get brakes working, fit headlights etc from parts pile, buy a plate, remove springs and fit neons.

Then decide on the best way to start her on a meth habit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The little Jog is a first kick runner, goes so well I'm having a hard time bringing myself to strip it for parts!

Got one of the 12" wheeled 2 strokes going today, is a Daelim rather than a Chinese thing.

It just needed a CDI, petrol and the fuel filter was blocked, actually goes rather hard for what it is, beach race build for the new 50cc scooter class the local club has started is the plan l.

There's 4 GY6 50cc things there, couple are meant to be runners but I've got no interest at all in them so if anyone needs parts I'm happy to sell shit from them.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to getting the Let's on the lift, it's only been what 11 months? lol

StySDpJ.jpg

Had the engine out in about 15 minutes, discovered the one way valve between the oil pump and carb wouldn't open even with 100psi of air behind it, so that's what the original problem was, just a tiny bit of crap had got through the pump and jammed it up.

iDL6DQb.jpg

Stripped the shrouds and head etc off

vUtx8Ix.jpg

UMTA1E7.jpg

5Ydndfe.jpg

Cylinder is salvageable. quick sand with 400 got rid of the alloy smear and it's good to go.

Crank bearings spin fine, so I think I've been lucky enough to get away with just replacing the piston and rings.
Will need to sort an exhaust for it too as it donated it's pipe to Markku's FA, might make a manifold and go to a bigger carb while I'm at it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

etEOG5N.jpg.7dedab1767eb9ae99f1221a8c7964b0b.jpg

Finally got around to fitting another new rear sprocket and actually aligning the rear wheel, new gold AFAM chain and other than welding up a few cracks in the exhaust and remounting the oil cooler I've just been pesting about on this lately, took it out the river the other day and while it's not at all good off road, it is at least highly amusing to ride off road.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Sold the Vespa/LML, may end up as a rat scooter so that'd be cool.

@MopedNZ and @GuyWithAviators apparently got sick of the trails of rust flakes I was leaving on rides so the GC's hooked me up with a new seat!

Before:
Tav6c4q.jpg
QK8e658.jpg

lol the whole rear half of the seat had collapsed down/made it actually really comfy haha

After I used a few scraps of the original seat to really roughly patch the new seat:

00YjfnL.jpg
Si9quvu.jpg

Yet another of @GuyWithAviators self-portraits on my bike haha
EGnx0Wa.jpg?1

And last night out of a moment of bored energy I chopped part of the front off

smEqUgm.jpg
zDWYh2O.jpg
1kJQrGV.jpg
W4zUqmD.jpg

Fitted old Cub indicator lenses, had to lay the horn back to clear the headlight lol
KAvLR0Q.jpg

Forgot to take before pics, but you can see the difference in the height of the speedo etc from this old pic
MHv33Rc.jpg

VS
JGiORWb.jpg

If I find motivation tomorrow I'm thinking about remaking the muffler baffles so they actually do something haha 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Remade the muffler, it isn't quiet but it's much less offensive than it was.
The extra restriction cost enough power that I had to rejet to get it back lol.

HUGE thanks to @GuyWithAviators who kindly brought a few goodies back from Thailand for Chandler!

76Qm7dg.jpg

MmEcP1x.jpg

b4PLeOd.jpg
Not that the needle will ever see speeds beyond 50kmp/h...

So stoked with that front badge!

IMG_20190331_174005.jpg.d34809181832a2ab3c633a129e6afec3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 08/12/2018 at 20:18, Raizer said:

Finally got around to getting the Let's on the lift, it's only been what 11 months? lol

StySDpJ.jpg

Had the engine out in about 15 minutes, discovered the one way valve between the oil pump and carb wouldn't open even with 100psi of air behind it, so that's what the original problem was, just a tiny bit of crap had got through the pump and jammed it up.

iDL6DQb.jpg

Stripped the shrouds and head etc off

vUtx8Ix.jpg

UMTA1E7.jpg

5Ydndfe.jpg

Cylinder is salvageable. quick sand with 400 got rid of the alloy smear and it's good to go.

Crank bearings spin fine, so I think I've been lucky enough to get away with just replacing the piston and rings.
Will need to sort an exhaust for it too as it donated it's pipe to Markku's FA, might make a manifold and go to a bigger carb while I'm at it.

Is this the one from ham ride?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kyteler said:

Sick photos too bro, props. 

As much as I wish I could take credit for the pics, they are the work of @MichaelJFox

But here's some of mine, just need to step back in time a bit!

Anyone who knows Suzuki "A bikes" knows the the seats are huge long things, and sure enough mine was too and I knew from before I picked the bike up from John that the facotry seat would never fit the direction I wanted to take this build, but the almost typical skateboard seat really isn't my style -the goal for this bike was always a clean build that if you didn't know something wasn't factory then you'd be left wondering.

One of the first things I did was pull the old cover and foam off the seat

V1lBQnX.jpg

Then chopped it up

xrnLjOp.jpg
5p1doXd.jpg

Before putting it back together

dzNK3mD.jpg
xdtCBlQ.jpg
xR5HWwb.jpg
KNxOJjb.jpg
ZNIKcRf.jpg

Stepping forward in time again the week before Labour Weekend old mate @64valiant worked his magic on it

Dwuh80k.jpg
DxUs91w.jpg
Jts8JsM.jpg
OJJS6wf.jpg
xQzj87c.jpg
lwknA3N.jpg
PY64Z6L.jpg
qhyg7Om.jpg
RhGfueV.jpg
lgMWOEP.jpg

While he was shaping foam I was at home making a taillight + plate bracket (among other tasks that I'll detail in the following posts)
2R2F5hQ.jpg

1vLkIth.jpg

To say I'm happy with how it's turned out would be a major understatement!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

While we're on the subject of human contact points might as well cover the bars.
The A range had 3 different bar options, bug antenna, MX and low bar, of course this came with the most common option, bug antenna!

hB8SAPG.jpg
WoZfnDE.jpg
:doubt:

Tried out a random China scooters bars from my junk pile

tmr0GAy.jpg
n3laBK4.jpg

Close, but no.

Then @GuyWithAviators offered a pair of bars from a Vmoto Millan of all things, worth a try

tsfUVHW.jpg
UGxXZma.jpg
b4EPApN.jpg
That'll do it!
But that speedo looks rude sitting up there!
H0kWlDp.jpg

jFxTDev.jpg
b6C0l3x.jpg
mkmKZkC.jpg
wZBHi6c.jpg
WnIaDWZ.jpg
95jW7eO.jpg

Much better!
And as luck would have it the Vmotto bars are pretty much the same as the rare A50 low bars, so when I accidentally ordered a low bar clutch and throttle from Suzuki they fitted right on without any shortening!

KzdYRcg.jpg

@chris r gave me a hand to solder up the end of the new brake cable though.

• Like 9