Raizer is losing the plot with Scooters!

Raizer

Oh, new page?
Might as well do a post on the engine instead of go to bed then.

The engine is still a work in progress, with a long term plan of swapping it out for something like an RG150 or similar unit but thats long term and I figure I might as well do what I can with the factory engine in the mean time right?

My plan was just to get it running and give it a coat of paint, but that plan lasted for all of 5 minutes before I hit order on a 45mm piston kit along with some other goodies from Sweden

ajG9Ust.jpg

Sent the original cylinder off for a rebore, anyone that reads the bike spam thread knows how that ended up though...
While waiting for it to come back I set about cleaning, painting and changing all the seals and bolts etc etc on the bottom end.

ZczzwhR.jpg
iOIuyGK.jpg
unBvsC1.jpg
N4MsObf.jpg
(That smell hung around in the oven for a week, I still hear about it now ha!)
3h4oZ9j.jpg
hsUEG9E.jpg
JeVeIE6.jpg
zgh7Pdv.jpg
New points and condenser fitted up too

zbAcRoY.jpg

And then this

nyBGkUw.jpg
AMtZtb8.jpg
FGWwgNm.jpg

:-x

• Like 4

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2YHwU8b.jpg
TEQcm1E.jpg
pcV2YuB.jpg
w7emZyT.jpg
80mN5t3.jpg
FmAM3bX.jpg
1dM8QJu.jpg
r4R1ZKh.jpg
KSDZdNm.jpg
Hmmm, that'll make changing the tyre a pain...

QDuZVFR.jpg

Perfect!
But then the K50 cylinder came with this:

AYOXLjJ.jpg

66psxj5.jpg
QDuZVFR.jpg

And just to make tyre changes easy ;)

DqBZGMr.jpg
rZx1sZR.jpg
XEmjRQ4.jpg

Dropped it 25mm, ended up with the swingarm level, which for some reason is pleasing to my eye on any bike

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Probably have more from the build I can post, but not tonight.

Have had issues with a nasty scraping clicking sound from the engine, at first I put it down to top end noise and tried to ignore it, but last time I had the cylinder off I got the Mrs to kick it over and the sound was still there, following my ear I'm 95% sure it's coming from inside the disc valve assembly.

I'd noticed that at some point someone had munched up the heads of the 5 screws holding the inner valve plate in and the cross's were all jagged and rubbing on the plate, I replaced them when I put it together but the disc has a few decent gouges in it.

I'm hoping the solution arrived today.

IMG_20191111_180719.thumb.jpg.6576ec31eed057af5c063e10e3fe26a4.jpg

Looking at the SGP stickers, there's NOS from the 70's, 90's and fresh new parts.

Going to attempt cutting the disc for more nangs while I'm at it, have found a few timing specs to go off, so fingers crossed it works out!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow. This is awesome dude!

Next level 2 stoke dedication!

Have you got any recommendations for a not so wild setup? My maverick is tired and i would love a bit more pep. Not valentino rossi spec though. Haha. Just not first gear up my hill!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Goat said:

Wow. This is awesome dude!

Next level 2 stoke dedication!

Have you got any recommendations for a not so wild setup? My maverick is tired and i would love a bit more pep. Not valentino rossi spec though. Haha. Just not first gear up my hill!

Cheers man!

Fresh rings (a +1mm overbore wouldn't hurt either), bit of a tidy up of the cylinder ports, take 1mm or so off the head to bump compression.
Make sure it's got the 16mm carb, not common in NZ but some came with 12mm or 14mm.
Intake disc benefits from a trim, I haven't got the exact timing numbers for the Suzuki R-T disc but I've been sent a cutting guide to match it.
New crank seals are always a good idea and of course a spanny and rejet!        

Measure your header pipe, should be 32mm but some have a 28mm as a restriction.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20191126_232329.jpg.9954574449902c77501e99ebb58d2f56.jpg

Old disc was sloppy as fuck on the drive spline, was pretty sure that's where the noise came from.

IMG_20191126_232312.jpg.45f0e1d4c4e7409d856247f98b47a3af.jpg

Can't wait to get my hands on another engine to do a full rebuild and port, can see so much room to improve on the factory castings!!

Managed to get hold of the specs for the factory Suzuki R-T disc, so after checking and double checking I got cutting

IMG_20191126_232448.jpg.c7ffab2be26d21271a366bcf2918d651.jpg

IMG_20191126_232405.jpg.b4eddd31f0bf79935eb614731bbb83a5.jpg

The worst of the noise is gone, thinking one of the bearings is responsible for what's left now.

Cutting the disc has given a decent gain, it's still not fast but it's a LOT of fun to fang about in town at least.

Need to pull a few degrees of timing out, hearing a bit of pinging at WOT and under high load.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Also the middy has been talking about wanting to upgrade to a bike with gears and bigger wheels etc than her scooters.

We'd looked at a couple Cubs, but she's a 2t fan too, talked with @Shakotom about picking her up a project F50 or FR50 from him, but never really got around to that.

Then old mate @Tumeke mentioned he had an A50 with A100 forks and wheels etc that he'd fitted a U50 semi auto engine to that'd be for sale soon, showed her a couple pics, she was keen and the deal was done!

Picked up the AU-Fiddy over the weekend, rather pleased with it all in all

9p5SJRm.jpg

It's a little bit of a project, but that often seems to be the way with AUs ;)

Plans are pretty simple at this stage, tyres, seat, lighting and let @Bellicose loose with his spray gun, should be a sweet little town bike for her to get the hang of manual shifting, then one day down the track it'll end up with my 60cc manual clutch engine from the green one.

• Like 9

Threw a few new gaskets and seals at the AU, also welded up the exhaust and fitted an A50 airbox from @Shakotom etc.
Gave the carb a good clean out and fixed the leak it had, the fuel tap had reserve, reserve and reserve, so we stripped it and used a couple bits out of it in my old A50 one which worked but leaked like a sieve.

Mrs fitted her new chain and a fresh plug then had a blast riding around the yard, so I guess we better hurry up and get the paint, tyres, brakes and lights sorted before summer ends!

Lol I thought it was 1 down, 2 up shift, so had her start off clicking down from a false neutral into 3rd, went a lot faster after we figured out it's actually all down shift!!

83471591_485784762360514_4752610410874535936_n.jpg.b8b2e1275bcef01f1f9aeeace756ea04.jpg

Just trying to track down a few parts like an ignition switch for it, pretty much everything else we can make or customize to suit I think.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bellicose said:

Hope you've got a reasonable size compressor to feed that cabinet. Sand/media blasting is a compressor killer.

I've got an older "industrial series" Air Command, hopefully it does the job!

IMG_20200201_095606.jpg.b419bcc1fd1aa556601071d427e86806.jpg

I got a bag of glass beads which say to go between 50 to 80psi so fingers crossed the lower PSI does the trick.

It may be a little small but will work. You'll find what works best as you go.

The rated CFM is the amount of air the pump can put into the tank, not the air coming out of the outlet, what comes out is normally a third less than rated CFM.

Rated psi is the max pressure that will come out at first 'pull' of the trigger once tank is full, then it goes down pretty quickly from there.

The main thing I've found to help with "hungry" tools is storage capacity. I had a 13 CFM pump on the 50 litre tank and it was shit and would 'cycle' more than ideal. Put that same pump on my a 140 litre tank and it's great for air hungry tools.

• Like 2

Managed to find an info sheet on it free air delivery: 337L/min 11.9cfm.

Been looking at getting a bigger upright tank eventually, seen a few videos where guys use 45kg/100lb LPG tanks for air storage.
With an upright tank you can use the thread where the gas valve was as both the drain and air fill so you can avoid any welding of the pressure vessel.

Crap video, but gives the idea anyway.

• Thanks 1