Issues with reading VR sensor

Vertigo

Hey guys. I bought a Megasquirt from MSNZ many years back now. Its an MS1 v2.2. It read my 4-tooth distributor sensor no problem and ran really well that way, but has always had issues when I attempted to read a 24-tooth CAS sensor modified with one tooth missing (for #1 TDC reference). Spinning it with a drill, it reads a very good an solid RPM, but the detected triggers are often all over the place - sometimes detected, sometimes not, and sometimes false triggers detected out of order. Im going to go back to MSNZ and get an answer for this, but Id like to hear what experiences anyone here has had with their unit - from the same company, or sourced from overseas. Also let me know what version of MS you have.

You might need to change the ignition input capture setting in TunerStudio

timing.png.5455e8169214172d27d41d120dc6fa32.png

VR-polarity.gif

Other things to consider are the size of the VR sensor head compared to the teeth on the wheel:

VR_teeth_matched.jpg

VR_teeth_mismatched.jpg

And make sure that your VR sensor wires are shielded from the rest of your ignition system and injector signal wires.

http://www.useasydocs.com/theory/pickups.htm

Yes, sadly the MS1 (or maybe its the firmware its running) does not support modifying the waveform detection settings on the primary trigger input - only the secondary one, if it exists (which it doesnt in my case). Swapping the VR wires results in invalid RPM reading, so pretty sure Ive got things the right way around.

My VR lines are well shielded, but I will try a bit extra to be sure.

Im leaning towards the VR conditioner on the board being incorrectly set, but open to other ideas.

Absolutely is. When it works, its really awesome. Its a bit more sensitive to environmental variables than other ECU's, but you can compensate for that most times.

Actually, I just got the COP's running last night - big win. No need to test with a Link now.

Turns out that the biggest problem was that I had double-crossed the ignition trigger lines, so it was ordering spark (from ECU to loom to coils): 1-2-3-4 -> 1-3-4-2 -> 1-4-2-3, and thats because of an incorrect pinout diagram I found online. Always do a bench test and directly observe your sparks to be sure they are in the right order!

• Like 3