Bens Scampy scamp

f100_dreamin

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

seen as your doing a full engine rebuild.

one thing that should be done on these motors is to clean up the block casting in the valley where the oval holes are. they have small bits from the casting left there which can come off and destroy your new engine. just run a die grinder round there and ya good and anywhere else that may need it.

oh and replace the distributor bush too 

also would personally buy new better heads than fix your current ones as most of the time the cost getting a shop to fit new guides and inserts plus valves isn't far off the price of new heads. but that depends on the condition of the heads 

Not trying to be a know it all or anything but i work at a engine shop so i know whats involved.

plus im doing a 318 at the moment :smile:  

• Like 1

The heads are only getting machined to take the double valve springs and having a quick once over. Because it’s the machinist we use for all our engine work he is doing me a good deal which is under a third of the cost of new edelbrock heads.

Obviously if he finds that they need a bunch of work then I will have to re-asses from there. 

Cleaning up the valley has always been on the cards but I will have a look over the area you recommended, cheers for that. 

• 4 weeks later...

nice to another little mopar coming alive.i see there is a few mopar motor experts on here .might need some help  from you boys latter on ,son wants me to build a twin turbo set up for his coupe . what sort of dollers are you guys paying for the explorer diffs 

2 hours ago, cletus said:

With your discs, did you re use the wheel studs?

They are a bit weird eh

Yeah @cletus the way that they attach the hubs to the rotors is a new one for me. Still if it works it works I guess haha

1 hour ago, con said:

nice to another little mopar coming alive.i see there is a few mopar motor experts on here .might need some help  from you boys latter on ,son wants me to build a twin turbo set up for his coupe . what sort of dollers are you guys paying for the explorer diffs 

Cheers @con, I never made it out to get the diff that Cletus shared so not sure sorry. I will aim to get one shortly and have spoken to Lee at Diffs’r’us and he quoted $450+ to shorten. 

• 5 months later...