Managed to remove the rear suspension and diff, 

45921981475_f8ba149867_b.jpg

46836486651_1605bbf0d6_b.jpg

then removed the fuel tank and fuel lines

45921980895_c9f9f17a23_b.jpg

46836486061_192937d3a1_b.jpg

now have plenty of room to play 

45921981115_dbf10ef8e0_b.jpg

still need to build a cradle to drop the engine and gearbox onto for easy removal, but first I need to get the torsion bars out which are proving to be very stubborn, there are plans on a mopar A body website of how to make a tool to remove them so that maybe the next step 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Work on the scamp has been on the back burner a little bit lately. However a chap in my Hot rod club was in need of some 318 engine parts, so I removed the factory 2 barrel intel manifold and rebuilt carb, I could’ve stopped there but I was at a loose end so I decided to pull a head. 

Looks like it’s had a pretty poor service history it’s fairly black and gunky inside 

47602537281_bf3fef6758_b.jpg

nothing seems overly worn however

47602537391_6171053a20_b.jpg

Pistons have no markings to indicate being oversized

33725319518_371e5f2318_b.jpg

It has a small ring ridge which it to be expected, but a quick vernier of the bore (albeit on the ring ridge) shows 3.89”, stock bore should be 3.91” so looks to be stock bore 

heads are standard open chamber heads. Factory sized valves 1.78” in 1.5” exh. 

47602538211_a405616561_b.jpg

Obviously until I get it on the engine stand and drop the pants off there maybe a different story but at this point it looks like a good base to start a build with. 

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Scored some garage time to work on this cream puff, 

Decided to take a break from the underseal removal. 

started on Saturday by pulling the engine further to pieces, 

timing chain has seen better days

Not an issue as I already have a replacement double row chain that I got with my Cam kit. Proceeded to remove the cam to check the cam bearings. Unfortunately they’re goosed. 

47934061197_3ac57ca44d_b.jpg

47934061142_c82335742f_b.jpg

so I’ll speak to my machinist and organise to get the motor down to him to have them replaced. I’ve got the heads ready to drop to him anyway to have them machined to take the double valve springs. I’ll give the ports a tickle up when I get them back from him. 

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. 

Have rebuilt the front Callipers, new pistons and seals. And all painted up! 

48036158793_9bbc78a035_b.jpg

48036158883_05acdf9ac1_b.jpg

Also pulled the PS pump apart ready to take to work to clean up then I’ll re-assemble and modify the pump to reduce the amount of assistance (common modification over in the states as it’s way too light at higher speeds) 

Again it feels good to be putting parts back together 

also spoke to a local sand blaster and they reckon a couple of hours should get the underbody all finished up so I’m going to make a couple of frames so I can lower the car onto a trailer and take it to be blasted soon. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ended up not going to training tonight so decided to get the cam installed and degree’d 

49053891146_7d4db7fabd_b.jpg49053891791_5d4b7f521d_b.jpg

found TDC, then set the Dti gauge up on the lifter (Ended up welding two old lifters together to make it easier to get the Dti gauge set up) found max lift and set Dti to zero, wound engine back .100” and then forward to .050” before max lift, noted the number the pointer was at on the degree wheel, the wound engine over until the lifter was at .050” after max lift again noted the number the pointer was on again, 

added the two numbers together and then divided by two, this gave me 112.5° intake centreline. Cam spec card is for 102° so was a bit out. pulled it all apart and advanced the cam 4° and started again, ended up with an intake centreline of 101°, 

so that where it will stay. Tomorrow night I’ll get the heads on an confirm there is no clearance issues. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Not a huge update, but progress is getting made. 

front suspension is all Re-bushed and repainted, and has new ball joints. Had a mission with the upper arms. 

the arms that came out of the car I managed to get the ball joints out of, but the bushes were seized into the arms. So I dug through all my parts and found the Aussie upper arms that came with all my front brake parts. Confirmed they are the same at the factory stuff. Bushes all came out easy. But the ball joints would not budge (shitty home made roll didn’t help) so I ended up welding an old axle nut to the top of the ball joint and using that to get them out. Got there in the end. 

49345907083_ef1f49b379_b.jpg49346581282_74fc19e955_b.jpg

I’ve also started cleaning up everything that bolts onto the engine, inlet manifold is all done

49346579912_3109dc532e_b.jpg

Still need to finish cleaning the sump then I’ll have everything sorted to paint the engine, still undecided with what to do with the rocker covers though 

1972 Plymouth

in that photo you can see it’s got a cool set of finned rocker covers I’m tempted to paint them the same colour as the inlet manifold and paint the fins black however I’m yet to decide, when I first got the car I had thought about doing them wrinkle black and then knocking the fins back to alloy so am a bit undecided there 

Discuss here:

• Like 8

• 4 months later...
Well it’s been a while since I updated this. Life etc etc,

anyway, the inside of the boot has concerned me as the car has previously been involved in a rear end collision. I pulled the bumper and it looked alright, you can see where the RR has taken a hit and been repaired. However inside the boot has had copious amounts of seal sealer used inside it. I stripped it off on the RR only to find that instead of welding the rear panel brace back to the floor it had just had seal sealer smeared all over it.

49547044431_fb48eb200f_b.jpg
49718693941_865b2d9e5b_b.jpg

Coupled with this the RR rear spring mount was out of shape and the LR was rusty, I made a cardboard template, and dropped it to a local shop that laser cuts and folds sheet metal.

49957735566_dcc6af9cbe_b.jpg
49958016057_a9934e8a8a_b.jpg

The car is booked in on the 20th June to go to a buddy’s metal/restoration shop (R3 Fabrication in papakura) to have the rear end, spring mounts and a couple of small rust spots repaired,

I have also got my fuel tank all cleaned up, but I’m slowly running out out things to sort.

49958016582_0b8ca54311_b.jpg
tank has come out a bit patchy (which looks worse because of the underbody Shultz) and I’m not sold on the black. 

may hit it with some silver and do the straps black 

I still need to paint my engine, I have all new frost plugs now.
So once it’s painted then I can start assembling ancillaries, and come up with a plan to run the Gilmour drive belt and P/S
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Decided I was unhappy with the black fuel tank so I threw a coat of silver on, it’s a bit better but I’m still not sold (and now it may not even end up being used, more on that below) 

50030575106_f871e6525e_b.jpg

got my replacement spring mounts back from being made

50030836522_871d6273a5_b.jpg

built a frame to put the car on so it can be moved around 

50030563066_9b4c85eb95_b.jpg

loaded the car up onto my mates car trailer and took it to Greg at R3 Fabrications (check them out on Facebook) 

50030563616_49b4d1e127_b.jpg

50030025683_4c3e84a28e_b.jpg

50030824277_aeda71e638_b.jpg

Was a pretty nerve racking drive that’s for sure. Not that it moved at all but the height of the car on the trailer just felt wrong haha

Upon Greg looking at it he identified that the rear chassis rails have a slight downward kink, and the front is twisted to the right, so it’s going onto the chassis machine this week to be straightened and have the new spring mounts fitted, have the boot floor cut out (it’s basically uneconomical to repair due to the amount of creases in it, so we will replace it with a flat boot floor (which means the spare wheel well that the fuel tank mounts to is gone, hence the comment about not using the tank) I may end up running a drop tank or fuel cell. TBC at this point. Then I will pick it up and start saving to have the next stage of work done, (rust in the outer 1/4s Which Greg believes will be best to stitch a couple of whole 1/4s on) 

One step closer.....

discuss here: 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...