Kelvinators Mini

kws

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like all the cars I obtain, I don't mess around, so today I tore into the brakes to replace the leaky cylinders.

What we had was a braking system that had no pedal feel, and wouldn't actually stop the car unless you pump the pedal, and then it would brake hard on one front wheel and pull to the right. This was after many attempts to bleed the system.

Yesterday I took the drums off (it has 4 wheel drums, woo technology) and inspected the shoes and cylinders. The front left was showing clear signs of a serious fluid leak, with everything wet, and the shoes had soaked up fluid and were badly contaminated. All the others at the time appeared to be dry.
 DSC02611.jpg
DSC02612.jpg
DSC02613.jpg 

This morning I shot to Repco and picked up a pair of left hand cylinders. Unfortunately they had no stock of the shoes, but BNT in Lower Hutt did, so I drove in and grabbed a set of them.
DSC02614.jpg

To start, I clamped off the brake hose, so I didn't end up draining the system completely
DSC02615.jpg

And then removing the shoes was as simple as just lifting the top shoe off the cylinders on each end, doing the same to the lower shoe, unhooking the springs (whilst taking care to note how they are attached), and then removing the lot.
 DSC02616.jpg
DSC02619.jpg
DSC02620.jpg 

The shoes were well stuffed and had transferred material to the drum
 DSC02621.jpg
DSC02622.jpg

Just a quick side note whilst we have it apart, this is how the adjusters work for the front. There are two squares on the rear of the drum backing plate which are the adjusters. They requires a 5/16" open spanner to turn.

This is what the adjusters look like on the inside of the drum with the shoes removed. The red arrow is the top shoe adjuster, and the green arrow is pointing to about where the lower adjuster is, behind the flange.
DSC02619-1.jpg

You can see the adjuster is an offset pin that rotates, pushing the shoes closer to the drum. If we start with the adjuster wound right back, it doesn't touch the shoe at all
DSC02617.jpg

And if you put a spanner on it, and rotate the direction of the tire (anti clockwise in this instance) it will contact the shoe and push it out towards the drum. The lower adjuster works in exactly the same way.
DSC02618.jpg

So, with that little interlude, lets continue. Heres the split CV boot (replacement ordered)
DSC02623.jpg

And then I removed the wheel cylinders. First you remove the bridging pipe from the back, that links the two cylinders. Then remove the bleed valve from the rear cylinder. Next crack off the main brake hose nut, but do not try to undo it completely as the hose cannot spin.

Before you can remove that hose you need to remove the two bolts in the rear of the cylinder and pull the cylinder forward with the hose. Since the hose was cracked off, you should be able to spin the cylinder off the hose and then remove it.
DSC02630.jpg

Heres the two old cylinders and link pipe
DSC02625.jpg

It was pretty grotty in there
DSC02624.jpg

I hosed it down with brake cleaner, and scrubbed it. I wire brushed where the cylinders sit, and put a thin coat of copper grease on the backing plate so the cylinders don't rust to the backing plate like the old ones did
DSC02626.jpg
DSC02627.jpg 

On went the new cylinders
 DSC02628.jpg
DSC02629.jpg
DSC02631.jpg 

Now, before moving further, change of gloves was needed so as not to contaminate the new shoes
DSC02633.jpg

Refitting the new shoes was the reverse of removal. Gently place the shoes into place, hook the springs on, and pull the shoes onto the cylinders. Done
DSC02634.jpg

Back on went the drum (after a thorough cleaning, and removal of all the stuck material), and then I adjusted the shoes. Back the adjusters off so the drum spins freely. Doing one adjuster at a time, slowly turn the adjuster until the drum stops spinning freely. When you hit this point, slowly back the adjuster off until the drum just spins freely. Then move onto the other adjuster.
DSC02636.jpg

I hadn't touched the front adjusters since I got the car, but they were way out of adjustment. No wonder the pedal feel was bad.

Moving onto the other side, since shoes come as a pair I was going to replace the other side too. I pulled the drum off, and damn....
DSC02637.jpg

I'm sure this wasn't leaking when I checked yesterday, but it's bucketing out now. The rubber boot is full of fluid. Oh well, guess I need the RH cylinders too.

By this time it was too late, the shop was closed, so I'll have to get the cylinders tomorrow. In the mean time I whipped off the shoes. They have no signs of liquid contact, so I'll save them as spares.
DSC02640.jpg

Since I couldn't do any more work on the brakes today, I moved onto checking some wiring. I had a lot of things that didn't work, and I was sure most of them were linked. I picked up a cheap test light when I was out, and went onto probing the fuse block.

I had continuity across all fuses except one. I triple checked, and nothing. I wiggled the connectors and removed and reseated the fuse, and bam, the test light lit up. I had power.
DSC02642.jpg

So now I have working wipers (they're so small and cute, but also more powerful than the SD1 wipers; go figure), a brake switch thing that lights up
DSC02645.jpg

A demister switch that lights up when held (the switch doesn't latch properly, will have to disassemble and inspect)
DSC02644.jpg

Dash cluster lights, and the blower fan works now. Yay!

I still don't have indicators or hazards though. I can't test the brake lights due to having the brakes apart too.

I tracked down the flasher relay, and it didn't look good.
DSC02647.jpg

BADLY corroded terminals on both the relay, and the holder
DSC02650.jpg

I tried cleaning up the terminals, but still couldn't get it to work. Will need to remove the holder and maybe replace the terminals. Also need to track down another flasher relay.

I also found this random relay floating around above the wiper motor. Has two wires going to it, doesn't look standard, and two more wires terminated near it. Will have a look in the wiring diagram and see what it is. Maybe hazard relay?
 DSC02652.jpg
DSC02654.jpg

I also need to find where the speedo cable connects to on the gearbox. I had a good look around but haven't spotted it yet.

I'm hopeful that if I can sort all these issues, I might be able to take it for its registration check in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 5

Another big day working on the Mini today, but not everything went to plan.

I left off yesterday with the RH front brake cylinders also needing to be replaced, so this morning I shot to Repco and grabbed a pair of RH cylinders so I could finally get the brakes back together.

Replacing the cylinders and shoes was the same as the other side, and it all went together rather quickly since I knew what I was doing now. I also straightened out the dents in the backing plate with vice grips.
 DSC02672.jpg
DSC02674.jpg
DSC02675.jpg 

Then it was a matter of adjusting all the brakes correctly, and bleeding them. I started by gravity bleeding all four corners, just to make sure fluid was flowing through, and then moved onto the actual bleeding process (and what a process it is!)
 DSC02678.jpg
DSC02680.jpg

The standard bleeding process on a car is to start with the wheel furtherest away from the master cylinder and work your way forward. This follows that procedure but with a couple of little quirks.
Screen-Shot-2018-06-16-at-9.11.20-PM.png

Because this is a late split circuit system, you can't just pump away at the pedal (which would have also caused issues with the seller when they tried to bleed the system in such a way) or the pressure reducing valve can shut off the rear brakes.

To bleed it correctly, you need to follow the pattern in the manual (there are four different patterns depending on your exact setup), and in this case with the bleed valve open, the pedal is quickly pushed to the floor and held for 3 seconds. The pedal is then slowly raised to its stop, and a minimum of 15 seconds must pass before the next push of the brake pedal. Do this until clear fluid with no bubbles comes out, and you're done. Move onto the next brake in the list.

I went around and did this, but so far the pedal feel isn't too different. I'll need to drive the car to see how it actually feels and operates.

Before starting the car up again I wanted to do a quick oil change as I had no idea how old the oil in the engine is, or what it is. I whipped the grille off for easy access. It was missing most of its screws, so this was pretty easy.
DSC02658.jpg

You can see the oil filter is right there in the front, nice and easy to access. Just in front of the oil filter is that random wire. Turns out this is the coolant temp sensor wire, which had been missing. Looks like they probably forgot to disconnect it when they dropped the subframe and tore the connector off. I stripped the wire and crimped a new connector on and connected it up. Cant test it yet, hopefully the sensor is good.
 DSC02659.jpg
DSC02691.jpg

With that sorted I set about draining the oil. The sump plug is on the RH side, and is a huge 15/16" hex (same as the Rover drain plug). When undoing this I noticed it was very tight but was coming out slowly. When it came out, I wasn't impressed.
DSC02685.jpg

Its had sealant smeared all over it to seal it. Why? Well, because the threads in the gearbox are buggered of course. I tried to reinstall the plug but it wouldn't tighten, and this is what I fished out of the hole
DSC02687.jpg

Well that's a bugger.

Since I was stuck with a sump plug that was now useless, I moved onto replacing the filter. The older filter was date stamped 2015, so I'm guessing that's the last time this engine was used before it was put in this car. I pre-filled the filter, and spun it on.
DSC02689.jpg

I have looked into options for the sump plug, and it looks like I have three. Order a tapered self threading plug from Minispares, but they are a very bodge solution. I could get it Helicoiled, but it's very expensive to buy the kit and do it myself and obviously I cant drive it anywhere. The last, and likely best option for me, is to buy an M20 bolt, an 18.5mm drill bit and M20 tap. Drill the hole out, thread it and use the M20 bolt as a new sump plug. Apparently the magnet can be moved from the old plug to the bolt, which I'll try to do.

Next on the list of things that failed was the rocker cover gasket. I picked up a new gasket from Supercheap
 DSC02698.jpg
DSC02697.jpg 

The reason I needed to do this was that the old cover was leaking like a sieve. There was lots of nice grey sealant oozing out.
IMG_1725.jpg

Removal is easy, just the two large bolts on top and then it pulls of to reveal the horrors
 DSC02693.jpg
DSC02694.jpg

Even the bolt seals are stuffed and had been smothered in sealant
DSC02695.jpg

I cleaned all the old sealant off. There was actually a cork gasket somewhere in that mess, but it was hard as a rock. I used a thin smear of sealant on both sides of the gasket and refitted the rocker cover. This is where I found out that the rocker cover is bowed in the middle and may not seal even with the new gasket. FML. I shone a bright torch into the oil filter hole and couldn't see any light coming through, but I'll need to look for a new rocker cover.

This is about where most normal people would give up in a rage, and probably set the car on fire. I didn't let it get me down though, so moved onto looking at the electrics.

With the brakes back together I confirmed I had no brake lights, and also had no indicators (front or rear) or reverse lights. The number plate lights were working though! Yay!

I wanted to check for voltage at the rear bulb holders, so I removed the lenses.
 DSC02700.jpg
DSC02708.jpg

Wait, what?! No bulbs?! Well I guess that explains the lack of light....

The gaskets on both sides are beyond reusing, so I'll order some more. I also gave the reflectors a quick clean whilst there as they were filthy.

Half/half
DSC02710.jpg

And all clean
DSC02712.jpg

So, do I have voltage here with the park lights turned on?
DSC02701.jpg

Test light says yes. Exciting. What happens if I put a bulb in there? I went fishing in my container of old bulbs and found a suitable dual filament bulb
DSC02702.jpg

We have light! We even have a brake light now!

I wonder if an LED would work?
DSC02709.jpg

Yes, and here's the difference.

Bulb
DSC02705.jpg

LED
DSC02707.jpg

The LED is brighter, and lights up far more of the lens.  I will run the LED for now, and see how it looks on the car in the dark before completely deciding. I also fitted an LED bulb to in the rear indicators.

This amused me though. I thought it was a connector.... well, it kind is, if by connector you mean a holder for a bunch of spade terminals.
 DSC02703.jpg
DSC02704.jpg

So do I have power at the front park lights?

I removed the lenses to check. Well, at least I actually had bulbs here.
DSC02671.jpg

The answer was no. No power. The bulb looked manky, so I swapped for a better bulb and then went digging whilst the park lights were turned to ON. Whilst probing the bundle of wires that runs behind the grille I noticed the park light flashed on. I narrowed it down to a loose connection in the power feed joiner in that bundle of wires. I don't know why they have weird joiners there, but they don't seem very reliable. I cleaned what I could, and this was the result
DSC02715.jpg

The other side was a blown bulb
DSC02718.jpg

Well that's a great success. Now, what about indicators? I still had nothing at all, so whilst casually browsing the wiring diagrams I made a list of places to check for voltage. I had nothing up to the hazard switch (which the indicator power feed goes through). I removed the switch and noted some corrosion on the terminals. I cleaned the terminals, refitted the switch and heard a faint "click" "click" "click". It turns out this was happening.
Motion-Still-2018-06-16.gif

Indicators!!!!

I don't have hazards because the wires are cut, but I'll try getting another flasher and seeing if I can get that working too. The rear indicators are working now too, along with the dash indicator.

Very happy with that. I haven't got reverse lights, but hopefully I can get through the inspection without them.

You may also note that the headlight trim is missing on one of the lights. That light works on high beam but not low beam, so obviously its blown. I didn't notice the little words on the bottom of the light, so I removed it to see if it was a sealed beam or not. It is, which means no easy bulb replacement (sealed beam means that the whole light is basically the bulb and gets replaced).
DSC02665.jpg

I have ordered a replacement pair of semi-sealed beam lights, with replaceable H4 bulbs and will fit them. I do need to take note to not exceed the standard wattage of the sealed beam bulbs as the wiring wont handle more without adding relays.

Another electrical item I cleaned up was the starter solenoid. The seller advised that two of the wires were getting hot, and looking at the wiring diagram the only option for grounding the unit was against the inner guard via the mounting bolts. Having a look around I noticed that the whole lot was covered in oil and grease, and the mounting bolts were tiny with no washers or anything to spread the contact patch.

I removed the solenoid and hosed the lot down with brake clean
DSC02683.jpg

I wire brushed the mounting holes front and back, and found some star washers to put under the nuts
DSC02684.jpg

And then I refitted the whole lot. Woo.

The last thing I did today was to fix and refit the wing mirror. The mirror had come off the mount. I removed the mount, disassembled the mirror and reassembled the mirror on the mount.
 DSC02727.jpg
DSC02728.jpg

I know it's not everyone's favourite style of mirror, but it'll suffice for the registration test.

So that was today. Lots of ups and downs, but overall I'm slowly getting there.

• Like 9

The first thing to check in order to fix the misfire, was the ignition system.

The obvious place to start was the ignition leads. I have replacements on the way, but in the mean time I needed to try to insulate the existing ones. Electricity/Spark has a great habit of taking the path of least resistance, so if it is easier for the spark to go anywhere BUT the spark plug, that's where it will go.
IMG_1725.jpg

The previous owner kindly left three of the four boots on the dash, so I greased them up and slipped the boots on. The lead that I didn't have a boot for I tried to insulate with insulation tape. These leads are only temporary.
IMG_1813.jpg

I also checked the spark plugs. They don't look too bad, but the gap was massive. They were all over 1.1mm, so I gapped them down to the commonly used 0.8mm (manual calls for 0.6mm but that is crazy small). Plugs One, Two and Four were all the same colour as below, but plug three was dark and a little sooty.
IMG_1814.jpg
IMG_1765.jpg

After refitting the gapped plugs I checked the cap and rotor. The rotor was looking a bit average, and strangely had over spray on it
IMG_1815.jpg

I gave it a quick touch up with some fine sandpaper to clean the tip and the center contact point
IMG_1817.jpg

The cap though, is well past it. There were a lot of deposits on the terminals, and the terminals are badly pitted. I cleaned as much as I could off the terminals, but they aren't going to be helping anything.
IMG_1816.jpg

I'll order a distributor service kit, to replace the cap, rotor, condenser and points.

I took it for a test drive after this little service, and already there is a noticeable difference. The misfiring has lessened a lot, and it runs smoother. It still isn't idling perfectly, and the misfire is still there, so I still have some work to do. The exhaust leak wont be helping and I bet the carb is filthy.

• Like 6

No one likes either a saggy unsupportive seat, or one where you literally sit on wood. The Mini had both, and it was time to fix it.

The first, obvious step, is to remove the seats from the car. In a Mini this is super easy, with just two bolts at the front to remove.

Once out, I took the driver's seat into the house and began pulling it apart. This is what I started with. A very hard, unsupportive seat that was bodged with wood.
DSC03012.jpg

The diaphragm is the large black rubber part with the holes in it in the above photo. This is used kinda like a big sprung net that allows some support and spring for your bum when the seat is sat in, making the seat comfortable. To replace the diaphragm you need to strip the whole base down. This isn't too hard to do, as long as you're careful.

First you need to remove the vinyl cover. This is held to the frame with the black metal clips. These have two little tangs on the top side of them (the side you can't see) that dig into the material and hold them in place. I used a flat blade screwdriver to carefully pop them off. Some were a bit harder to remove, so I used needle nose pliers to gently wiggle the clips free of the material
 DSC03014.jpg
DSC03013.jpg

I found this froggy rag stuffed inside the cover of the seat. Not sure if it was added to help bolster it, or just randomly stuffed in. Should make a good rag in the garage.
DSC03015.jpg

With the clips removed, gently peel the cover back. Take care that it might be slightly stuck to the pinky-red material wrapped around the base, so carefully peel the cover free
 DSC03017.jpg
DSC03018.jpg

If the original diaphragm is as stuffed as mine, and no longer attached to the frame, the foam and diaphragm can be pulled out. If your diaphragm is still attached to the frame you will need to unhook the metal hooks from the frame. My diaphragm was stuck to the foam. I'm not sure if its meant to be stuck to the foam or not, but it was a pain to pull away without damaging the foam.
 DSC03019.jpg
DSC03020.jpg

A random chunk of hard rubber was stuffed into the back of the cover. More bodged "fixes".
DSC03021.jpg

With the foam off the seat you have access to the top of the frame. This allows you to hook in your new diaphragm hooks or springs. In my case I'm using a newer style diaphragm with springs, and not the rubber. This should hopefully last another 38 years.
DSC03024.jpg

This came with instructions which were good to show how to attach the springs, which although isn't hard to do can be a pain the first couple of times. You don't want to get it wrong as the springs are fairly strong. They also have a different type of hook on each end of the spring, the less curved hook goes in the frame.
DSC03022.jpg
DSC03023.jpg 

The new diaphragm fitted. One issue I noted was that the front and rear springs are too long for this seat and aren't under tension. They stay in place OK because of the foam, but they can fall out until the foam is in place properly (and it looks like one even fell out before this photo)
DSC03025.jpg

One thing I stuffed up first time, and it isn't mentioned in the instructions, is that I didn't slip the loop of vinyl through a spring before fitting to the diaphragm. This loop is at the back of the seat base
DSC03026.jpg

I had to strip the foam out again, and remove the two rear springs and slip them through the loop before reattaching.
DSC03028.jpg

And the completed diaphragm, with the clips reattached. Unfortunately one of the clips broke in half during assembly, so I'm short one.
DSC03031.jpg

The seat isn't back in the car yet, but already its 120% more comfortable. Like a good Mini seat, it has that slight suspension spring when you sit in it. I'll do the passenger's seat tomorrow. That one has no wood in it, so it was almost like sitting on the floor when you fall through the frame.

As part of the recommissioning process, I chose to replace the bushes for the engine steadies with uprated poly bushes.

The Mini runs three steady rods, that run from either the subframe or the body to the engine. These restrict the rocking movement of the engine, and are fairly important to keep in good condition.

When I was under the car a while back I noted that one of the lower steadies had badly perished bushes. They run rubber bushes standard, which obviously doesn't play nice with oil leaks and time, both of which this car has had in bucket loads.
IMG_1783.jpg

I ordered some uprated, harder poly bushes from Minispares, which arrived the other day.

Removal of the steadies is generally simple as anything, just a spanner and ratchet to remove them, remembering which steady went where (although they are different angles so couldn't be swapped anyway). I chose to only do two of the steadies and they seem to be the main ones people focus on, the top steady, and the lower LH steady.

The lower steady was first to get sorted. The bushes obviously weren't in the greatest shape
DSC02945.jpg

I don't know if its standard or these had been replaced, but they were a two piece bush. I pushed the center pin out with a screwdriver, and then the two halves of the bush just popped out with some leverage.
DSC02947.jpg

The new Minispares poly bushes are two piece too, so very easy to fit. No press needed. I used some rubber grease on the bushes to help slip them into the rod, and to in theory, help reduce any squeaking they might make during use.
DSC02949.jpg 
DSC02950.jpg

And refitted to the car. Easy.
DSC02952.jpg

The upper mount has a couple more things to remove to get it free. The engine side has a mounting plate to remove, and the bolts for that were rather tight. I have heard of them shearing off, so take care, but otherwise it's easy to remove. The bushes on this were showing signs of softening and tearing
 DSC02967.jpg
DSC02968.jpg
DSC02969.jpg 

These too were two piece bushes, so just popped out and the replacements slipped back into their place
DSC02970.jpg

Refitting was a bit more of a pain though, as the engine was leaning slightly backwards (the soft old bushes obviously took this into account) and getting the body side bolt in was a juggling act. First I loosely assembled the engine side of the mount, and then whilst pulling forward on the rocker cover, I slipped the bolt through the body mount. Tightened it all up, and now it should be mint.
DSC02971.jpg

I'm expecting I will probably see some increase in vibration from the harder mounts, but heck, the Mini is hardly refined as it is. This should make the engine more responsive since it wont be flopping around when you come on and off the throttle. A nice little upgrade for little cost and an hour or so.

This is just a quick little post regarding the timing marks on older Minis

There isn't a lot of information on exactly how to read the timing marks on these older engines, as unlike the newer engines they didn't have timing marks on the crank pulley or even a pointer at that end.

So how do you read the timing marks then? The flywheel.

On the clutch cover, or Wok as it's called, there is a little plate that when loosened swivels on one of the two bolts to reveal a hole in the Wok
DSC02935.jpg

This hole is for reading the timing marks on the flywheel. Inside the hole at the top there is a timing pointer. The marks can only be read using a mirror and light.

I turned the engine over by hand so I could find the marks, just so I knew what I was looking for. The 0 degree mark is actually identified by the 1|4 mark on the flywheel. I'm not sure why.
DSC02937.jpg

The other marks are standard, 5, 10, and 15 degrees (maybe 20? didn't check that high).
DSC02939.jpg

My flywheel has a coating of surface rust on it, so I needed to use a small piece of sandpaper to clean up around the numbers to make them more obvious. You can see in the above photo I also used a dab of white paint on the 10 mark to make it more obvious. The 5 mark already had an old white paint mark.

So that is how you read the timing marks. Sure, the normal crank pulley marks are a lot easier, but where is the fun in easy?