Pee Dubs CB500

Pee Dubs

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Neat.

Plans?

For starters just ride it. Learn its tricks (like how to change gear smoothly - gearbags on these are poos!). Maybe paint the side covers to match the tank? Find some CB500Four badges for them. Check all the wiring, and probably remount/replace the led indicators.

Medium term a new / remade exhaust would be nice, and either remake rims with spokes or find some originals.

Potentially some café style mods further down track, as it's already a long way off original and I won't feel bad about changing things up a bit - but nothing too crazy.

• Like 3

Got a nice clear day for a change so I just went for a lunchtime burn over into Whitemans Valley, my first proper go on this bike.

Observations and things to investigate:

• Throttle doesn't seem to fully close - not sure if it's the grip, cable, or carbs themselves. Does make smooth changes a little harder.
  • Choke also sticks a little and is either on or off - think that cable/arm at carbs end is possibly fouling on something.
  • Has a small mid-range flat spot - hard to know if it's the bodged 4-into-1 exhaust, carb tuning (for pods), or just a general design trait.
  • Gearbox isn't as bad as I first thought, it just needs remembering that it's an old design and needs some mechanical sympathy and extra 1/2 a second to change. Finding neutral is a bit easier now that I've had a bit of practice around town.

Overall pretty easy to ride and I'm happy that have a mostly sorted bike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pee Dubs said:

• Has a small mid-range flat spot - hard to know if it's the bodged 4-into-1 exhaust, carb tuning (for pods), or just a general design trait.

Be a mix of both most likely.

Looks like cheap pods, get some K&N or something decent too!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So I still can't get this running well. I've cleaned out the tank cock and replaced fuel lines, plus removed carbs and cleaned as best able without fully dismantling. Only seems to run with full choke and over approx 3000rpm. I think issue could be a combination of air leaks and blocked pilot jet - any other thoughts to troubleshoot?

It's also possible that carbs weren't balanced - anyone have a 4 pot vacuum kit I can borrow? (Or should I just take it to a shop for this?!)

Lastly, I was thinking that I need to rule out ignition system. Plugs and leads are newish, and running >3k means coils are ok, so thought timing. Usually points could need adjusting, my my bike has this:

Electronic points / ignition? Where should I start?!!!

20190411_133121_crop_560x602.jpg

To test for air leaks around intake spray some start ya bastard around it while running and if revs increase then you will know..also check all your ignition earths are good.

Balancing your carbs will also help too.

Have you got fuel filter in place ?

6 hours ago, Chris.QCR said:

To test for air leaks around intake spray some start ya bastard around it while running and if revs increase then you will know..also check all your ignition earths are good.

Balancing your carbs will also help too.

Have you got fuel filter in place ?

Kinda hard to hold revs steady and spray intake unfortunately... I've reset and tightened the intake clamps already though. Other than buying new ones the only other thing I can think of is sealing them with some silicon lube.

Good point about earths - tbh I'm now scratching my head about how the whole ignition system works, it doesn't look factory that's for sure!

Any simple way to balance carbs without the vacuum gauges?

I did have an inline fuel filter but broke it changing the fuel hose - replacement is on the list.

5 hours ago, kicker said:

Blocked pilot could be the go, some early Honda ones were press in, can pull out with pliers if that is the case.

Yeah they're press in I'm pretty sure - they're almost impossible to find and the carb rebuild replaced them, so I'm not doing that again. Can't imagine they'd be completely blocked almost straight away... but maybe some of that micro cleaning wire is the way to go and rule out the pilots.

You can make carb balance kits. Youtube shows you how. Was your bike rejetted to suit pods and 4 into 1. 

Trust me when I say decent pods can make a world of difference too. 

If you get completely stuck take it to a decent bike shop. That's what I ended up doing with my 550. 

Have heard possible issues from ultrasonic cleaning carbs, it can dry out the felt seals on the throttle and choke shafts and create a air leak

maybe try soaking them with oil or grease? To stop air getting in?

• Like 1

balancing carbs can be gotten close with a piece of hose into the intake and the other end into your ear, and balance the sound you hear. 

when i had bike carbs i also bench set them up with a piece of mig wire as a feeler gauge between the throttle throat and blade.