Tumeke's Spitfire Discussion

Tumeke

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

That filler on your boot lid, the stuff that fell off, is a prime example of why one should never put filler directly onto steel.  It never sticks properly and will absorb moisture through the paint, hold it against the steel and cause corrosion. It's why youll so often see old repairs with big blisters as the filler swells away from the steel.

For fresh steel repairs paint it with resene industrial 440 epoxy. Then you can smear it with filler to your hearts content knowing that no matter how damp the filler gets it won't affect the steel beneath. 

Damn I like this car!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@yoeddynz there isn't anything wrong with filler over bare steel. In the collision industry it is normal practice. And in the restoration we do it sometimes depending in the job. I fully agree it it much safer to expoxy prime first.

It's fine if the filler is applied sanded and then painted/topcoated within short period of time , day or two and is kept dry.

Problems arise when the car sits around in primer for months/ years and moisture wicks through the primer getting trapped in the filler. 

Modern fillers adhere perfectly to bare steel as good as any epoxy would.

Prepping the surface is the most important part of any body work

Soz about spam

But still better to follow best practice eh. Id rather always do it that way instead of watching my car slowly bubble up down the road.  One little tiny scratch through the top coat can let moisture in.

Also- it means you can take your time with the filler stage. Even a high humidity environment, ie doing the work on a wet winter day, or in auckland... any filler present can start to pull moisture.

11 hours ago, JustHarry said:

@yoeddynz there isn't anything wrong with filler over bare steel. In the collision industry it is normal practice. And in the restoration we do it sometimes depending in the job. I fully agree it it much safer to expoxy prime first.

Well... you've just stated whats wrong with putting filler on first. So why would you?  Either cost cutting or laziness. Sure - do it filler first if its a crash repair on a tiida. But we aint talking about Tiidas eh.

Its just better to follow best practice eh. Id rather always do it epoxy primer first instead of watching my car slowly bubble up down the road.  One little tiny scratch through the top coat can let moisture in. Times have changed along with paint technology. The old 'slap some filler on first.. she'll be right mate' guard can fuck off back to their cave.

Also- it means you can take your time with the filler stage. Even a high humidity environment, ie doing the work on a wet winter day, or in auckland... any filler present can start to pull moisture.

I've given them an oil up through the 'oil' hole but not dissembled. Advance looks ok with the timing light and a throttle jab (with and without vacuum advance connected), but not ruled that out thanks @tortron .

I'm also wondering if there is some muck in the carb needles, that could be a blocking restriction. Also, the fuel pump has been known to be dodgy so I need to see how much that's putting through once I've fixed the starter motor. That might also explain why it is so hard to start - but starts fine on engine start.

Just a matter of ticking one thing off at a time I guess. (when I can start it!)

yes, I had the weights and springs fully gum up in my minor so had no advance at all. some string tied to each side fed into the drivers seat let me manually adjust when going from open road to town rpms until I got home

• Like 1
  • Haha 1