J21's '70 Datsun 521 Pickup Discussion

jackeo21

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/19/2018 at 19:38, kyteler said:

What's the width and offset on those standards?  They look slick as fuck.  Make 'em work.

They're about 10 inch wide, lip to lip. I haven't measured offset yet. Wondering what tires will fit! They don't have much poke which is nice. Personally a massive fan of em. They're 14's too.

If anyone has a head unit (semi-modern) with an AUX imput (or USB) would be sweet to hear from ya. Will pay if it's what I'm after. Otherwise i'd love an og Datsun dash radio but they're harder to find than the actual trucks haha. I have a few retro cassette players that would fit the dash but they don't suit the truck one bit.

Unfortunately didn't get out to the truck today but need to put my engine together this week so that's happening. May have tracked down some sweet twin SU carbs for it too. Also on the topic of collecting bits, I'd like to run a metal fan from an MGB, should bolt up and blow lots of air through the massive rad.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody have any car-less day stickers, or old rego stickers? I know there was someone on here who made all of them up but he has long since been active on the forum. The truck has a very faded mark of a "sunday" sticker so would love to have one to replace it, and a rego sticker. Have tried making one myself in photoshop but it didn't look amazing.

Plan for this week is to continue body work and get my engine together for a test run in coming weeks. Would really love to have this thing done by Christmas but it's turning into a major as the perfectionist in me can't stop pulling it apart to "do everything properly", which I suppose isn't a terrible thing. My main goal is to kill all rust, so that she lasts many more years to come. It's done pretty well thus far, at least for a 50 year old Japanese Pickup!

Twins Acquired.

Searched trademe for weeks for an MG manifold with no luck.

Turns out my scrappy had one with carbs for $5

+$10 HS6 carbys and some shiny filters

= sweet looking J15

The manifold looks like a homemade jobby, but was even chrome plated, so must be pretty old. Seems to be well made. Came with a set of Jaguar 1.75" carbs which are pretty rough so will swap them for these other ones, probably mini.

2JPEr.jpg

2JPEs.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find those little window monsoon visors? I have tried to make them but nothing has come close to professionally made stainless steel ones. Is there an outfit that makes these things?

2KRs5.jpg

Like the ones on the door of that 520 ^

As I mentioned in the build thread I may have sourced a wellside, but I won't elaborate for a bit in case it doesn't happen. I'm trying to score as many parts trucks as I can, as 80% of these things went to the us of a. And my god, parts are expensive!

Bought new Taiwanese park lights though. Should do the trick nicely. The bodywork is coming along nicely too. Hopefully shes wearing some blue by November.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That white lhd well side truck belongs to a mate of mine. It was restored by GT refinishers in Aux (?) And later sold to a bloke I know in BOP.

he slammed it, certed it,  and sold it to a mate of mine here in chch.  He's got two tailgates too the bugger. One imaculately painted like the truck. And one in bare metal/rat look. I haven't seen him for quite a while though.  I also doubt he'd sell one. Lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, azzurro said:

Well side looks good. Are the us trucks swb? How you planning on filling the gap? 

Make a king cab :)

I have two rotten doors, since they're the same shape as the wellside I had planned to weld them in near the front of the wellside to create a "long bed". By cutting the wellside off just after the front mounts, and bolting that section to the chassis, I can then weld in the doors to fill the gap. Will elaborate/explain better when the time comes to fix it up

Yep, the US trucks are SWB (2530mm) and our LWB trucks are 2770mm. Thats a 240mm difference in the two, just enough to annoy ya!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris.QCR said:

Damn cool 521 dude. I miss my one I had many moons ago. There is another white wellside rhd 521 out near Rangiora that I spotted years ago down the back of a farm that I was gonna save but didnt

They seem to be hiding down south. Surely there cant have been too many of these things in the country?

Two of my trucks are NZ new, this parts truck was registered in January of 1969. I have no plates or reg history for the first truck I purchased, but the chassis number indicates it was built just 26 trucks after the new parts truck. The white truck I have is a much later '70 model.