J21's '70 Datsun 521 Pickup Discussion

jackeo21

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

@Slacker_Sam. KNows the location of a truck with a wellside tray. It's rusty, but it hasn't completely returned to the earth yet. It's also a very long way from civilisation too. PLus it's part of a large hoard owned by an old Barry who is likely very hard to deal with. 

/lingpost.

Yes. its still there. Old Barry changes the story every time I ask about it / gave up.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 17:51, NickJ said:

Awesome find, what is the story behind her, looks like someone has shown reasonable care up to now?

Thanks! Had never seen one before. After hours of google searching for info on a "Datsun 521", I had to have her.

Yep, as others have said she was a $1 reserve on TM. Had been parked for the better part of two years, fella had resto-plans in mind for it. Hooked it out of a barn in Waihi, towed it home with the valiant in torrential rain...an activity best avoided on such a day!

Took it to a car wash place to remove the rats house and small mountain of rat shit deposits amassed on the battery tray. Everything looked pretty good at this point! The blue started to shine again.

Then once it was home I started to take a look over the old girl...and the lovely automotive butchery only found here in Aotearoa really began to show though. Shop that last had it found that the L20B didn't fit, so the whole trans tunnel was hacked out to accommodate. Bumper brackets don't fit on the 720 chassis? cut grooves in 'em and bend 'em! Rubber cab mounts? Never heard of those. Sit the cab directly on top of the wiring to ensure a good ground. They also thought to cut virtually every panel in order to get the cab to sort of fit the chassis. It's rough!

Might have been a decent job if some slightly higher cab mounts were used, unfortunately due to rough mods and standard jap truck rust this cab is basically past it.

She is basically being used as a parts truck to save the white 521, which has a much tidier and straighter cab, and better bones.

I knew there would be some repairs involved in this truck before I bought it but with the amount of butchery and bog/rust/hidden secrets it's just not worth it when I have a better truck to use.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 18:11, kyteler said:

The L20B is a repower already though?  ..and a thirsty turd at that.

You got thirsty right, has basically emptied my jerry can just in test running.

I personally like the L20B, however it's a really tight squeeze, and I wouldn't be able to use my column change if I swapped it into the good truck.

The later '70 '71 and '72 trucks had L16 engines from factory but these sat a little lower I believe (lower deck height etc).

On 6/5/2018 at 22:09, Slacker_Sam. said:

Yes. its still there. Old Barry changes the story every time I ask about it / gave up.

Gotta love folks like that, all the stuff you need is so close, yet so far away at the same time.

I may have a lead on a wellside, but I'm waiting to hear back. Would be over the moon if I could sort one.

• Like 1

shit yeah this is bring back some fond memories

I freakin love Datsun trucks, and especially the 521.

I have many time wanted another, and would love to hell to get my hands on a wellside.

Keep up the good work,  heres some pics of mine from many moons ago.

Datoo2.jpg

Datto1.jpg

P1010133.jpg

2 minutes ago, Seedy Al said:

Once upon a time pajero 18s were the thing to have because actual 18s were 2 grand lol. 

But yeah.  Not a fan.

Man now decent width 13s/14s are 2 grand

how times have changed 

and how much better would small wheels and slam look 

10 hours ago, Seedy Al said:

Also 6 stud which is a bit balls. 

15x10 4wd wheels. I’ve got some sweet 15x10 et-54 Enkei 32s that are squirrels away for future truck project. Can still get cool junk, just have to look hard lewl

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kyteler said:

There's a set of 14" tridens on whitewalls at my local hot rod shop for a grand, I kind of want but struggle to justify the price when the only car they'd sort of suit is a daily d21.  You might be keen though?

Not looking to spend that sort of coin at this stage, but maybe when the truck's on the road. Have seen some tridens on a 521 before and they look the business.

ytwlgovs.jj2.jpg