Nathans tractor

flyingbrick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, will do all the steel.

A little concerned that the new guards i have lined up will clean up too nice- i guess wont take them long to get messed up a little.

Cannot decide on gearbox/engine color! I think grey wont have enough contrast with the bare steel tin work. Might have to black zinc the whole thing and then go over it with penetrol for some gloss and sealing.

BTW. I know i have said this 20 times but penetrol is amazing stuff. Sheetmetal seams and rust actually drink the stuff- its quite satisfying being able to slosh a joint with the stuff and watch it wick in.  There are tests online with photos showing how it penetrates joints- amazing stuff. 

When i had the tractor running the other day I tried a few times to get the PTO engaged. Not a huge amount was happening there.

Even more concerning was that the PTO shaft appeared to be locked solid.

Today I pulled off the PTO lever side cover (these things are awesome aren't they?!!" and discovered that it was stuck in ground drive PTO mode. The detent plunger was siezed solid in its passage so that moving the PTO lever was impossible. What i thought was lever movement was actually the handle rotating around the shaft because of a broken rollpin.

It was seized enough that i had to eyeball a location and drill a hole from the outside of the housing so that I could punch the detent plunger out. I'll have to plug this hole somehow - probably will tap a thread in it and use a grubscrew.

So that is another thing off the list :-D 

I also did a whole lot of de-greasing and water blasting- then trialed a little paint :-) Have decided to go with CRC zinc-it grey (lol) covered in penetrol. 

Also fitted new footrest :-D

20180617_135126-756x1008.jpg

20180617_135818-756x1008.jpg

20180617_130521-756x1008.jpg

20180617_125642-756x1008.jpg

20180617_130515-756x1008.jpg

• Like 8

only 3". The total OD including housing is about 95mm. Amazing quality for the price- Even the brackets are secured to the housing with pretty heavy rivets. The bolts and other mounting pieces are all gold nickel plated.

I half expected plastic lense and molded plastic housing.

• Like 2

Hey man.

I was hoping to have a shed in the build by now but thats taking a while so shes been parked outside with the penetrol panel for a few weeks. I cant see any sign of tarnishing or any other issues- its been pretty yuck outside so I kinda expected something.

Worst case I'll rub it down and brush some more penetrol on- but it should last plenty long enough when its got a shed :-D

• Like 1

choice. big fan of penetrol! it's not super waterproof though.. I have 5ish thin coats over surface rust which sucked up penetrol like a dream - but after a few rain showers you do get the telltale iridescent stain spots coming through. have also done raw brand new steel chair frames that are now somewhat worse for wear after being mopped around etc. recoating your tractor every year is a great step towards barrydom though!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rustisize said:

Got a link for those spotlights?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-24V-3-Car-truck-Tractor-ATV-SUV-Trailer-Forklift-Crane-replacement-Fog-light-55W-Halogen/32811149149.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3fe44c4d4T5QQv

there ya go. 

highly recommended by me.

Also- smash some cheap LED lamps into them and you have a pretty decent quality setup. The cheap LED lamps are GARBAGE. PLastic housings and plasic lenses with crumby reflectors and they dont use propper replacement bulbs but have a shit cheap PCB inside.

• Like 2