kws

Welder buying spam

I have a solar charging helmet but after 6 years it wasn't staying dark even after leaving it in direct sunlight, again non-replaceable batteries.
So I popped it open, desoldered the batteries and wired in some button cell holders that I hot glued to the inside of the helmet so now I can replace them, helmet works like a champ again.

qxgtqAi.jpg

• Like 8

Flash guy. I wired in a C-cell holder on my old one. No more battery issues, even with AA's wedged into the holder.

that must be the old model lincoln viking? 
i must have the newer model of that, much larger screen and has an external slot for battery.   im really happy with it. worth the money as far as i am concerned. sick of having cheap shit all the time. 

Yeah, older model, is this shape

Viking-Welding-Helmet-black.jpg

Glad I have it working again, has been so nice to use.

All the literature talks about the batteries being non-serviceable and you have to buy the screen unit as a whole to rectify but once I pulled the batteries out they were just regular Panasonic alkaline button cells, the only thing making them non serviceable was that they had soldered the batteries to the board. My fix looks a bit B is for Build but it saves me $400 :-)

• Like 3

I’m in the market for a TIG, I’ll be a first time user but I’m keen to give those MIG/TIG/Arc combos a go as I want to be able to do car panel stuff and also stainless tube for the bike project, etc.

Are there any deals about that are recommended?

cheers

kempy

On 06/06/2018 at 21:05, Get it done said:

This is the actual machine , is currently setup for alloy.

Ill have to work out a price and sort through all the extras i have for it  , bloody typical havnt used it in nearly a year and go to sell it and now need for a job .

Will be repairing some big alloy trench sheilding

20180605_151114.jpg

Do you still have this?

I have the 200a version of that Weldtech machine, and so far it's been really nice to use. Much finer control than the old 200a Xcelarc machine I had, and so much more compact being an inverter. Certainly much easier to find the sweet spot for tacking thin sheet metal than the old machine for sure!

The main flaw I've found so far - main power cord is SHORT. Not much over a metre long, and given most garages are gonna be at least 5 metres wide it's quite limiting if your hot points are spread out. The supplied torch is also only 3 metres, so I've had to shift my 15a hot points a few times to be able to work on the car.

• Like 1

I have a ~2/3m extension lead I made up due to that problem. Not sure if the bits are spendy or they just didn't like me at the electrical supplier.

34 minutes ago, Bling said:

I have a ~2/3m extension lead I made up due to that problem. Not sure if the bits are spendy or they just didn't like me at the electrical supplier.

Making up a lead ends up relatively spendy as the flex(cable) is fairly expensive. 

• Like 1

Would you buy a new Chinese inverter mig around $1000 or a second hand Italian non inverter for about the same money?

Any particular Chinese welder?

In general i'd go for the one with warranty, which these days can be a couple of years. 

Have seen them mentioned a bit in the past, Xcel-Arc (or similar too). I'd search for "welder" on here and read all the threads about buying a welder, some pretty solid advice contained within.