Welder buying spam

kws

5 minutes ago, cubastreet said:

When I was at tech, some rep brought in a roll of Flux core wire that also used shielding gas. It's party trick was the beautiful welds in all positions even with me holding the torch. 

Anyone know this voodoo wire?

gas-shielded flux-cored wires.

https://www.thefabricator.com/thewelder/article/consumables/all-about-gas-shielded-flux-cored-arc-welding-wires

• Thanks 1

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Bling said:

While painful to weld upside down, inside a boot, I never had any issues with plain wire + gas. I wouldn't do that with flux wire unless I was going to drink a lot of milk afterwards.

Respirator helmet for the win.

i use one for alloy welding now, probably 10 years too late for my lungs. 
mainly got it for cool air flow during summer.

its nice to go home and not feel like shit.

galvanic poisoning is worse than being kicked in the nads

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have done a few nights for the local structural/ heavy transport fella and he gas flux core for everything. Shits amazing for 5mm and up just melts in, heaps of penetration and no splatter. Weld speed is about twice that of solid wire, great for positional too. I brought a 5kg roll for home which I have played around with a bit, ill take a pic of the label tomorrow. Not something a normal person would need at home but for reskinning a truck bed or smashing out some portals for a building, super invaluable.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bling said:

While painful to weld upside down, inside a boot, I never had any issues with plain wire + gas. I wouldn't do that with flux wire unless I was going to drink a lot of milk 

I was welding 12mm steel vertical and upside down, it's not like the gasless stuff or plain wire with gas. It doesn't seem to sag or drip.

• Like 2