Welder buying spam

kws

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Owner cylinders can still work out ok depending on gas usage / type. I get mine tested every 5 years for around $100 with a fill of CO2. At my current usage rate that will last till next test. Might have to read back a few pages, but I think the Bunnings deal is pretty sweet. BOC took the piss on pricing for years so i'd personally never use them. Their pricing is why I purchased a cylinder to start with, no regerts.

Hello welders,

TIG filler rods.

What type and diameter would I need for the following:

• Mild steel exhausts, panel steel and motorbike frames. BOC seems to only offer 1.6 and 2.4mm diameter. 1.6 fine for what I need?
  • Stainless exhausts (is this usually 304?)

Hearts

Where is the best place to get this from online?

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Hello welders,

TIG filler rods.

What type and diameter would I need for the following:

• Mild steel exhausts, panel steel and motorbike frames. BOC seems to only offer 1.6 and 2.4mm diameter. 1.6 fine for what I need?
  • Stainless exhausts (is this usually 304?)

Hearts

Where is the best place to get this from online?

I got my tig stuff from these guys, just because it's all online. https://www.prolineindustrial.co.nz/cat/welding-equipment/tig-welding/tig-filler-wires

I am still a novice, but I used 1.6mm for my mild steel exhaust. It went okay, you have to be really crazy with cleaning the weld area, any trace of oil or dirt and the weld fills with bubbles then you have to grind out and start again.

• Like 1

Agree with KPR, 1.6 mild steel is the general rod

For stainless most of what I do is fine pipe work so I use a 1.2mm give a real tight weld. 

Have 2.4mm mild steel as a back up for big gap craft jobs or things requiring filling up. 

Stainless rod on mild steel is a good get out of jail card, its probably naughty but it welds yucky mild steel without going all poopy. Good if you are repairing old exhausts etc.

Really like the silicone bronze rods, makes pretty welds.

• Like 2

On 24/09/2021 at 20:11, westy said:

Threw one in the back seat today. He had to leave it outside for me to pick up cause he couldn’t bring it inside for some reason. 

Finally managed to get to bunnings today, only to find that Porirua has no full bottles of MIG gas, havent for weeks and have no ETA for more. I did grab a regulator, some 0.6 wire and a couple of extra cut off disks though. Apparently Petone has some bottles, so will give them a try.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Geophy said:

Agree with KPR, 1.6 mild steel is the general rod

For stainless most of what I do is fine pipe work so I use a 1.2mm give a real tight weld. 

Have 2.4mm mild steel as a back up for big gap craft jobs or things requiring filling up. 

Stainless rod on mild steel is a good get out of jail card, its probably naughty but it welds yucky mild steel without going all poopy. Good if you are repairing old exhausts etc.

Really like the silicone bronze rods, makes pretty welds.

I know many pro welders that use a dab of stainless when shit gets bubbly.. never even seen a failure coz of it. 

Never used silicone bronze but looks so damn nice.

You'd like stainless stick welding. Super easy and it comes out delicious looking 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

You'd like stainless stick welding. Super easy and it comes out delicious looking 

Yea just mash it in there and it looks like a pro did it..

+1 for a bit of ss wire on some crusty mild.

Also, like sheepers said, dont need a foot pedal. Just set the downslope and when things start getting a bit spicy, let off the trigger and back on before it shuts off. Couple of them to get you out of trouble and youre away again 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

I know many pro welders that use a dab of stainless when shit gets bubbly.. never even seen a failure coz of it. 

I must get some stainless rod and try this! I assume that unless you are welding safety critical parts for NDT, it won't matter using a bit of stainless?

• Like 1

Gas.

So for various reasons I have two MIG welders at opposite ends of the country. My owner D size Argo bottle is with one of them and the other is set up gasless but it’s a bit shit.

Don't do much with it, but was considering getting one of those mini bottles of CO2/Argon from Toolshed or wherever. Those ones that run a 10mm threaded connector and mini regulator.

Anyone run those or have any feedback on them? Do they leak out or anything seeing how they don’t have a proper valve on them?