kws

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2021 at 16:30, xsinclairx said:

Not sure what the quality is like but these are on trade special at Bunnings at the moment. 

6AF6978C-EBB9-427A-9000-7F2BE33A7A23.jpeg

Quite keen on that but notice amps only go down as far 40a on mig. A bit high for .8mm steel?

Also doesn’t seem to be able to use .6 mm wire?

I don't have that one, but it looks to have all sorts of adjustability. Mine has a similar level of adjustability and I just wang the voltage / wirespeed / amps on whatever gets me a decent result. I never weld car panels at the lowest setting anyway as usually tack, tack, tack. If you plan to run beads on thin steel the lower settings might be needed. Wouldn't surprise me if it came with the 0.6mm roller / can probably order one if not. 

• Like 2

On 29/03/2021 at 21:37, xsinclairx said:

I see mitre10 has them, I wonder if they'll price match so I don't have to pay shipping...

They will, but you might have to push them to ring up and confirm some details as the waitemata hydraulics website doesn't explicitly list the model number.

I had airpoints dollars to use otherwise I would've just gone through waitemata hydraulics

• Like 1

Hello welders,

I know its been asked multiple times. But I'd like to re-ask to get the latest opinion.

I'm after a TIG. Would like to do Mild, Stainless, and very likely alloy in the near future. I've already got a MIG, so after a dedicated TIG machine.

What of the current range would you people recommend? (I've seen Kicker's question on the previous pages but would like a few more suggestions if possible :))

Would it be best to not get one that does alloy? Will most likely be used for panel steel, exhaust pipes, and on occasion 5mm plate for brackets. Anything thicker will get the MIG treatment. So doesn't need to be a gajillion amps!. However, for alloy, I would likely be for repairing damaged motorbike engine cases and covers, so may need some amps for that??

Would like to hear pros and cons for DC only or AC/DC units vs price. Best to fork out for an AC/DC unit so i can weld ally in the future?
I don't actually need to do any alloy welding immediately, will be mild and stainless for the time being, but don't want to trap myself and need another outlay when i want to do some alloy.

Many thanks.

• Like 4

Anyone know what the norm is in industry re welding stainless steel. Fuck knows where I have been all my life but I've never had anything to do with the stuff and always thought it had to be TIG welded. Not totally true because when I purchased an old welder years ago, I noticed it came with some arc rods for doing stainless. I put this down to this is what they must have used back in the day' given the welder was from the 1950's. But anyway - yeah TIG. But then I came across a clip on YT showing a guy MIG welding stainless so throwing all of my preconceived views out the window. So question - how is stainless normally welded in industry? Anyone know? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kyteler said:

Depends on the application but it can be welded any way, it's not like aluminium. 

I thought the same as you until a few years ago too.  No idea how I had come to that conclusion though. 

Fwiw aluminium can be tig, mig, gas, laser and arc welded too

• Like 1