• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i got given a mig welder yesterday 

Migstar 155 turbi combo

When you plug it in the fan goes

But when u pull the trigger the relay for wire feed clicks but no wire feeds.

When you take the cover off. The feeder isnt turning.

I pulled some wire thru and pulled the trigger, no arc either 

Any tips??

1 hour ago, felixx said:

But when u pull the trigger the relay for wire feed clicks but no wire feeds.

Pull the relay out and see if you can pop the cover off and inspect the contacts. Maybe use a multi meter to check that the relay is doing its relay-ing. Also, inspect any electtrical boards in the machine for obvious faults. Capacitor popped open, or burnt component, that kinda thing

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2021 at 09:02, Benno said:

Where in NZ sells butt welding panel clamps? I ordered some of these a couple of months back, still haven't shown. Ideally would prefer to pay less than $50 for four from machinery house or restospares.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt49Yeh

Probably too late to the party, but they are pretty easy to make yourself from scraps and some wingnuts from mitre10. I used 5mm rod instead of square stock though as too lazy to make square holes.

On 03/01/2021 at 09:02, Benno said:

Where in NZ sells butt welding panel clamps? I ordered some of these a couple of months back, still haven't shown. Ideally would prefer to pay less than $50 for four from machinery house or restospares.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt49Yeh

Hobeca in Auckland do them just got a few sets from them. You'll have to open an account though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2021 at 17:27, bryck said:

Waitemata hydraulics has the Weldtech 160A MIG/ARC/Lift TIG welder on sale until the end of the month for $349+GST

https://www.waihyd.co.nz/weldtech-160a-mig-inverter-welder-10-amp-plug-mig-tig-mma-1433314

That is a fucking good price.

I've a weldtech mig- not quite so flash as that (not blingy lcd screen- just two knobs) Same as what @ThePog has (the welder that is - not the fact Dylan only has two knobs...in fact I believe he only has one and its not that impressive - or at least that's what @sidewaysickness mum said)

Its been great and has done a huge amount of work for our business. Fantastic on car panels- very smooth (even with poverty spec co2)

Greg at proline welding in Nelson is the owner/importer of weldtech.  Good dude has great back up service.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

That is a fucking good price.

I've a weldtech mig- not quite so flash as that (not blingy lcd screen- just two knobs) Same as what @ThePog has (the welder that is - not the fact Dylan only has two knobs...in fact I believe he only has one and its not that impressive - or at least that's what @sidewaysickness mum said)

Its been great and has done a huge amount of work for our business. Fantastic on car panels- very smooth (even with poverty spec co2)

Greg at proline welding in Nelson is the owner/importer of weldtech.  Good dude has great back up service.

Its not the size, its how frantically you masturbate with it.

+1 for Weldtec, I cannot fault mine and it has had some proper usage.

• Like 2

Anyone got any recommendations for a good DC TIG machine? Have been wanting to learn for a while, I assume lift arc at least.
Already got a Lincoln MIG so no need for a combo setup and probably not much use for AC at the moment either, basically just something I can have a play with doing small jobs.

6 minutes ago, kicker said:

Anyone got any recommendations for a good DC TIG machine? Have been wanting to learn for a while, I assume lift arc at least.
Already got a Lincoln MIG so no need for a combo setup and probably not much use for AC at the moment either, basically just something I can have a play with doing small jobs.

https://www.strata.co.nz/shop/TIG+WELDERS/EZITIG205DC.html

I have a slightly earlier version of this, again i cannot fault it.

• Like 1

I too need to get another tig. My ac/dc machine is fantastic for most welding but not very smooth on really light settings to weld thin steel/stainless - its just not designed for that.  I fancy a small dc tig with a nice lightweight compact torch and shall invest soon.

Those strata welders are also specced and imported by Proline I think.

12 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

I too need to get another tig. My ac/dc machine is fantastic for most welding but not very smooth on really light settings to weld thin steel/stainless - its just not designed for that.  I fancy a small dc tig with a nice lightweight compact torch and shall invest soon.

Those strata welders are also specced and imported by Proline I think.

Have you tried doing down to a smaller diameter tungsten? And grinding to a very sharp point. 

Yeah I've done all of the various tricks etc and it still struggles at really low settings. Plus its hard to get it to stay at the chosen low amps. After speaking to the importer plus a few other owners of the same machine it is a problem. I very rarely use the full grunt of the machine either but it's handy when I need it and it works great for alloy tig.  

Oh yay tig spam my favourite

Everyones got an opinion but I believe that basic HF Tig are the same as Arc machines. Unless you buy a super cheap import one any machine will do for what you want it to. I roll a 15 year old tool shed HF tig only goes to 150A but 10/10 would trade again. Nothing fancy just controls Amps and post flow but have done everything from rusty panel repairs to multiple pass 10mm plate welds to 5mm production fusing. 

As far as new welders go a friend has 2 basic hugong Tig at his work for panel repairs/chassis fab and rates it highly for temp control etc.

https://www.arcweld.co.nz/itemdetails/Hugong-Powertig-160K-Welder/3726.aspx

Whatever you buy make sure you budget another $200 for some accessories as that is where you get your usability from. Flex head is a must the Aliexpress ones at $12 are identical to the $50 from our welding supplier. I love my gas lense usually roll a 7 cup and am yet yo have a job where I cant push the tungsten out enough to get into tight spot. The generic cup kit off alixpress with the different cups and pyrex lenses is a really good place to start as its cheap and the cups are all really low profile, good combo with the flat back cap for getting into cunty spots. 

Live having different size rods on hands really helps when doing the end of each scale jobs. Thin stainless wire is great for repairing everything and have some 2.4mm steel wire for gapcraft jobs.

Hope this helps.

2 cent Jeff

• Like 6