Welder buying spam

kws

I am going to have a look at those oxy petrol sets tomorrow, they say it’s for cutting and welding but I don’t see anywhere one with a welding torch, I want to get one for when I run out of carbide for the acetylene generator witch is going to be a long way off still as I have almost a full 44gal drum full. 

• Like 1

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/05/2020 at 20:38, MaxPower said:

i just brought that same one haven't used it yet but it looks like junk straight out of the box, may return it for the boc one for similar price, the hand piece on the tool shed one looks really chinise and the consumables look rubbish. but the tool shed one does come with a 3? year warranty 

Yeah I bough the same one, tbh not overly stoked with the appearance but the specs and warranty seemed good for the price so going to give it a go. 

I've never used a plasma cutter before, how do you know where to set the air pressure? The manual has 65-87 psi (4.5-6 bar) but that is a pretty massive variance and seems to be pretty hectic pressure, even at the low end, but that may just be because I haven't used one, but it throws a lot of sparks.     

On 26/05/2020 at 09:53, nzstato said:

Cheers, Pyrex = borosilicate glass = what I sell

If you do decide to start making them I will grab a few from you. Just learning at the moment so am sticking with standard consumables for cost reasons. But need to get some in the future and would like my money to stay local,

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at getting a new mig soon, I want something in the 180-200a range. Budget is around $1k though could stretch if needed. Would prefer reliability over having bells and whistles. I already have a old hf start ac/dc tig so it only needs to mig, though most stuff in the price range seems to be multi process. Currently thinking this is at the top of my list:

https://nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/cigweld-weldskill-185-welder-each-03675850

though at a bit of a stretch there is this:

https://www.boc.co.nz/shop/en/nz/welders-plasma-cutters-torches/welders-wire-feeders/mig-mag-welders/boc-smootharc-181-mig-welder-boc181mig-p

which has much better duty cycle, but doesn't appear to have adjustable voltage. I have never had adjustable voltage so don't know how that works. Probably just another thing for me to adjust incorrectly.

Any suggestions?

Just now, Guypie said:

I'm looking at getting a new mig soon, I want something in the 180-200a range. Budget is around $1k though could stretch if needed. Would prefer reliability over having bells and whistles. I already have a old hf start ac/dc tig so it only needs to mig, though most stuff in the price range seems to be multi process. Currently thinking this is at the top of my list:

https://www.boc.co.nz/shop/en/nz/welders-plasma-cutters-torches/welders-wire-feeders/mig-mag-welders/boc-smootharc-181-mig-welder-boc181mig-p

which has much better duty cycle, but doesn't appear to have adjustable voltage. I have never had adjustable voltage so don't know how that works. Probably just another thing for me to adjust incorrectly.

Any suggestions?

I've got the BOC 181, seems to work fine. Single knob makes setting easy.

• Like 2

On 25/05/2020 at 13:03, mjrstar said:

I use Pyrex cups in hard to see places, they are all good. 

Probably a real obvious answer, but how come you only use them in certain situations and not all the time? When i was messing around with a TIG it seemed like a good idea being able to see better.

Just now, kws said:

Probably a real obvious answer, but how come you only use them in certain situations and not all the time? When i was messing around with a TIG it seemed like a good idea being able to see better.

I only have them in one size, and I don't think the gas flow is quite as well optimised as a conventional cup.

Ideal for aluminium where you need minimal stick out, and to be honest I'll often just leave them on for stainless etc.. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bit 'big' innit? (300A)

here's a similar unit (write-up seems the same / different seller)

4in1 Inverter Welder MIG MAG TIG ARC MMA Welding

but 'half price'

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/welders/listing-2717474831.htm?rsqid=3106323d830e4a938df30edae5010089-003

Buy Now 899.95
$489.95
1369488378.jpg

(following this thread as keen to one day be able to glue steel)

7 hours ago, anglia4 said:

If it works, sweet. If it doesn't, good luck getting any service from them. Going by the feedback. So long as you're happy getting what you pay for, it might meet your expectations. Otherwise you may regret not spending more and getting a longer locally supported warranty. 2c.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 29/07/2020 at 17:52, Bling said:

If it works, sweet. If it doesn't, good luck getting any service from them. Going by the feedback. So long as you're happy getting what you pay for, it might meet your expectations. Otherwise you may regret not spending more and getting a longer locally supported warranty. 2c.

Need to see the label on the back of the machine, but the time period for the duty cycle rating will be super short. Most welder duty cycles are based on 10 minute blocks. This machine will be something like "100% @ 232A" based off 1 minute blocks. 

I also highly doubt that a 13.2kg single phase baby machine like that is capable of outputting 300 amps.

• Like 2

On 12/07/2020 at 14:23, Guypie said:

Any suggestions?

Oh, follow up on this. Got the BOC smootharc 180 multiprocess. I really like it, welds very nicely and the cooling fan only comes on when it needs to so its silent most of the time. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Guypie said:

Oh, follow up on this. Got the BOC smootharc 180 multiprocess. I really like it, welds very nicely and the cooling fan only comes on when it needs to so its silent most of the time. 

My Unimig 185 the fan goes on as soon as I turn it on lol, otherwise really impressed with my unit

How does the none adjustable voltage work?

It selects the voltage and amperage to suit the wire feed speed you have chosen and you have +/-20% for the voltage and inductance. For general fabrication I have set it to +10% on both and that works mint, the weld beads were a bit nuggety on the default setting. for panel/rust repairs I set it to the lowest feed speed and -10% voltage and that worked mint too.

• Like 4