Welder buying spam

kws

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Shakotom said:

Anyone know where I can try to get owner Acetelyne/ oxygen bottles filled in Auckland?

or is that not really a thing anymore?

Tank test can do everything apart from acetylene, take the acetylene to a scrap yard and dump it, no one will fill it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Indiana_Jones said:

I see a few people are rocking the Cigweld 135, are they still ticking along nicely? 

superderpauto has a sale on and I'm tempted to grab one and learn a bit of metal gluing (sill patch up and around the windscreen mainly)

Yep my cigweld 135 is still going good but just upgraded to an inverter based mig and the difference is amazing so much more adjustment and control and having the euro torch fitting and smoother liners and easier replacement 

paid 299 for the cigweld 135 new weldsmart 200 was 500 $ on 1$ res auction from online tools trademe Nelson - also does arc and can do alloy spool gun 

cigweld is good for a starter but for a few dollars more ...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, Indiana_Jones said:

Taken the dive and have got a Cigweld 135 on order (store had ran out, but have ordered one in at the sale price for me).

Next question, which may sound daft, where does one get sheet metal from? I see Mitre 10 and Bunnings have some, but seems very limited in gauge and material choice.

Depends what you want. 

Bits of old cars and washing machines etc can be used for hacking around, but you have to clean of the paint etc first.

I've bought full sheets from Steel and Tube in the past, but you need something to cut them up. The zintec / electogalv coated steel stores better as it doesn't rust but again needs to be cleaned off before welding.

https://steelandtube.co.nz/catalogues/steel-product-guide

Last time I needed some I went to a sheet metal fabrication place and bought some smaller pieces (e.g. under 1m2) in different gauges. They were happy to help.

You probably want 18g ~ 1.2mm for car panel work. 

• Like 2

I have a Cigweld 135 also. Had been using sodastream co2 bottles as shielding gas, worked reasonably well.

But this week I just picked up one of the Bunnings/Coregas ‘Mig gas’ bottles. Looking forward to not running out of gas so quickly! Seems to weld a little nicer too. Although I’ve only used it to make a mount for a motorcycle exhaust so far. 

Next step is to borrow some of the washing machine and teach myself to do panel rust repairs on the Austin. 

• Like 6

On 15/10/2019 at 09:42, Indiana_Jones said:

I see Mitre 10 and Bunnings have some, but seems very limited in gauge and material choice.

The stuff they sell is likely galvanised stuff? Don't bother with that. You want proper stuff they use for panels, can weld it without messing around and you won't die from the galv fumes. As for thickness, depends what you are patching, most of mine is sub 1mm, but some is slightly thicker. 

• Like 2

Cant help but think it would be a good idea. Might get in the way?

Best thing you could do is decent workshop lights along with decent helmet. Optrel vega view 2.5 was my dream helmet for a while but probably better options now. That helmets light state is VERY light.

Edit. They now have one called the crystal 2.0. the numbers describe their light-state shade value and i think most auto darkening helmets we are used to have a #4 tint during their light state. 

The way technology is going it wont be long before the light state is actually just clear glass.

• Like 1