Welder buying spam

kws

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also worth keeping in mind your whole shed might be run off the one circuit. So if you plan on running lamps, radio etc while laying down phat 10mm beads, it could be worthwhile having a dedicated 15A plug on it's own circuit. No worries then. If people want things welded, they just have to bring them to you.

A good idea to make up a short 15A extension lead, so you can move the welder anywhere in shed. I think mine is about 4m, means my welder can be at the garage door if need be.

I wouldn't buy a welder from overseas, false economy if buying purely on price. How much is shipping going to be if you need it repaired, lots. Handy if your local shop can repair the unit / get spares. If you don't have any welder shops in town though that won't be an option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kyteler said:

Whilst this is true, the cabling and supply that leads to it also has to be of adequate gauge and capacity. 

Normal single phase wiring should be adequate, unless as mentioned above it has a heap of outlets run off the same line. 

Although that's where the circuit breaker plays its part.

I had 2 15A plugs put in my garage on existing outlet wiring and upgraded circuit breakers.

Should being the operative word.

Most modern setups should be fine.  However some old sheds and houses could have been slapped together with who knows what.  It'll depend what draw the welder has, etc.  

All I'm saying is don't slap a different socket on and assume everything is good to go because it's only pin size that's the difference. 

Other factors are to be considered. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Bling said:

I've always just had new circuits put in for my welder / compressor. You know what's what then, for not much (relative to welder price etc) cost.

cheap insurance .

many 15A appliances will run on 10A (if it actually is 10A), but ensuring you have at least 15A spare, after lights/stereo/compressor etc is where heavier circuits come into their own .

have run some pretty decent loads on 10A, but wrecked a few motor windings on it too

furthermore, ensure the supply cabling to the workshop submain is adequate. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/12/2018 at 12:08, Truenotch said:

Weldsafe Titanium. 4 sensors, tig capable, 98x87 viewing area, replaceable batteries, all the adjustments, good headgear, cheap replacement lens covers. 

Moortool have them on special for $139. Most others will be $200 or so. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/manufacturing-metalwork/helmets-safety-gear/auction-1870266604.htm

Bought one of these from Moortool for the same $139 this week.

Tried it out tonight, and it's amazingly better than the cigweld one I have been using.

Might actually be able to see what I'm doing with the weld pool now.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Bought one of these from Moortool for the same $139 this week.

Tried it out tonight, and it's amazingly better than the cigweld one I have been using.

Might actually be able to see what I'm doing with the weld pool now.

I have a cigweld one, can almost see the pool haha.. But it's also a little slow to react so I have shut my eyes temporarily when I start a weld.. 

• Like 1

Depending on the model helmet you have, it might have a couple of fine tune adjusters inside of the helmet by the lens?

My Cig weld one does at least, - as thats why I binned my old helmet, kept getting blinding at the start of each arc

• 4 weeks later...

Any suggestions for a AC DC Tig, around the 200amp mark.  willing to spend up to about 3k  for a decent machine. 

Currently have and old 160amp  mitech ac/dc/plasma.  its getting pretty tired and need more power for ali welding. 

Anyone who runs the core gas so if you have an NZ Safety Blackwoods nearby that would work too. 

I have the other outfit..  Ezi swap.  I just have to plan ahead to ensure I get in on a satdee morning.  Probably the only downside. Same with NZ Safety.  Your mileage may vary depending on hours open in your area. 

• Like 1