Steelo's 1985 AE85 Levin

Steelo

Hi team, 

I'll post up the build thread and info tonight when I get home from work. In the mean time there a couple of pics in the introduce yourself thread. 

I wanted to start this discussion off now to ask for some guidance around wiring of the car. 

I have a smallport 4age sitting in the car ready to be wired up. I have a uncut engine loom for the engine. 

Where do people recommend I start? I am going to get started on it this Saturday, I need to have a good look at everything and familiarise myself with it again. 

No doubt I'll have more questions and some pics to follow on from working on it this Saturday. 

Thanks in advance for any info. 

Build thread here :

Hey thanks man,

Yeah I need some luck by the looks of it, I have the wiring loom for the engine on the floor behind me and I'm looking over it now.

What sort of silvia do you have? I use to have a 1996 180sx type x many years ago...ahh I miss that car.

Who knows, maybe I'll get my head around it and figure it out. I'll help you if I can but at the moment I would be no use lol.

1990 s13.

I actially have most of the wiring done. Its just been sitting for about 10 years so like you I kind of need to spend the time to get my head around it again.

I do remember laying the loom on top the motor and windscreen of mine and finding plugs that fit and seemed in the right place, It got easier the further along I got.

What car is your loom from?

1990 s13.

I actually have most of the wiring done. Its just been sitting for about 10 years so like you I kind of need to spend the time to get my head around it again.

I do remember laying the loom on top the motor and windscreen of mine and finding plugs that fit and seemed in the right place, It got easier the further along I got.

What car is your loom from?

The loom is from an AE92 levin, same car that the engine is from. I had it sent down from a wreckers in CHCH back when I started the conversion. It's more the feeding the engine and ECU power and signal from everything it needs which I am uncertain about. I'll just do it step by step and hopefully I'll have some help along the way.

• Like 1

There's loads of info around on 4AGE wiring looms and ECU pinouts. Club4ag used to be my go-to for most 4A info - hopefully that resource still exists? 

Your job should be fairly straightforward tbh. The most difficult part will be re-shaping the loom to go through the firewall in the right place. 

I think @Seedy Al can probably provide details on how to make old Toyotas work.

I might be making a mountain of a mole hill but its unfamiliar territory for me haha. 

Yeah there are all the ECU pin outs on club4ag. Do you know if the dash wiring on the ae85 is the same colour as ae86? It seems to be hard finding ae85 specific wiring diagrams for wiring the body plug on the ECU.

• 11 months later...

Hey folks,

I got the bug again and started attacking the wiring....I began figuring it out ages ago and then stopped as my old man said he knew a guy that could do it.....but never did.

I have learnt a shit load by studying wiring diagrams and looking around forums etc over the last week.

I am currently taking all the old tape and shit off the loom so I can liberate some wires that aren't needed. This has added hugely to the learning process, being able to see where everything goes and being able to trace the wires everywhere is making all the difference.

I understand the smallport loom is short and needs to be extended - this is what I am looking at doing next as I want to have some freedom with mounting the ecu inside the car.

Looking forward to making more progress.

Can anyone advise on the following?

+ locating wires in the cabin for BATT, B1 and +B1 for the ECU.........if anyone can advise on the best source for these would be great!

+ wires in the kick panel area that have 12v on ignition that can be used for powering coil/injectors or whatever.

+any tips or anything unexpected that people have discovered while doing this wiring?

Thanks!

Hey mate I've done a couple of these looms, from memory you can get away with 4 wires to get them to run. Use the existing alternator circuit in the car. You just need a good print out of the pins on ecu. Have you got the body loom that plugs into the ecu? Also the fuel pump relay?

• Like 1

Hey mate thanks for the reply!

I have read that 4 wires to the 12pin plug are enough to get it to run.....these being(?):

Pin 1 - B1

Pin 2 - BATT

Pin 4 - COR

Pin 7 - B

I have a 12pin plug to fit the ECU which I can use for the above pins. Can you remember where you tapped into for pin 1,2 and 7? I can put up some pics I took today of the kickpanel areas

At this stage I don't have the circuit opening relay for the fuel pump. I hope to get one pretty soon - can you buy an equivalent relay from the likes of Jaycar?

So the stock AE85 alt wiring from the 3au can support the alt from the 4age?

Thanks!

Hmm i can help as ive done a few.  Are you in the south island?

To help us help you,  tell us what exactly you want running on this thing.  Pretty much all the engine loom wiring has a purpose unless it was originally an auto.

Ie: are you going to run the diagnostics plug?  Are you going to use a circuit open relay? Do you want power running off the correct relays as intended by toyota or are you adding in some?  do you want to extend the ecu loom or add in a firewall junction plug?  Do you want the dash to flash error codes?  Are you changing alternators - the type may determine how to wire it. 

Circuit open relay are piss easy to source from a wrecker.  make sure it shows a diagram on the side of the circuit inside and see that the pins are easily identified (labeled 30, 86, 87 etc).  and get one that has a plug and some wiring off it so you can splice into it.

Ideally you'd source ae86 full car loom and swap the lot but yeah, not easy. 

• Like 1

Download and print out the matching pinout for your ecu (post it here too so we know what you're referring to).  do the same for the ae92 ecu loom if possible.  Could work it out from the pinout, but without knowing how it works it'll confuse ya.  getting hold of a toyota yellow book workshop manual for the ae9 would be great, so you can understand the electrical systems.

The alt wiring size should be fine unless youre running a big sound system or electric power steer, then the current draw increases heaps and youd want a bigger batt and alt anyway.  the extra draw from a fuel pump and injectors arent huge.  You'll be splicing out the alt wiring anyway as its on the other side of the engine. Also you're going from an external regulator to an internal.  you can use the existing wiring but will need to change the lengths to suit the new position.  could always upgrade the big white alt wire to the B terminal if you find the ae9 wire is bigger than the ae85.  its in the ae9 engine loom anyways so youll prob end up using whats there and make it connect to the existing 85 alt loom or run it direct to battery, where ever that may be.  If the new alt has a sense wire, then you may find it needs to be added in.  external regs dont usually have it.  its one of the 3 wires in the alt 3pin plug (not the charge lamp or ig wires) ant it also connects to the battery. Yeah you could just connect it to the big B terminal but youll get a lower charge voltage under load.

i havent personally done ae92 loom yet, but if its anything like ae101/111 youll have extra stuff to deal with like a starter relay, which if wired correctly also connects to the STA pin of the ecu.

The diagnostic plug has a few extra wirings in it but i cant imagine youd ever notice a weight difference by removing it.  you can check things like if the oxy sensor is faulty without having to tap into a wire somewhere or the back of the ecu.. its right there on the firewall etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AE25 said:

Hmm i can help as ive done a few.  Are you in the south island?

To help us help you,  tell us what exactly you want running on this thing.  Pretty much all the engine loom wiring has a purpose unless it was originally an auto.

Ie: are you going to run the diagnostics plug?  Are you going to use a circuit open relay? Do you want power running off the correct relays as intended by toyota or are you adding in some?  do you want to extend the ecu loom or add in a firewall junction plug?  Do you want the dash to flash error codes?  Are you changing alternators - the type may determine how to wire it. 

Circuit open relay are piss easy to source from a wrecker.  make sure it shows a diagram on the side of the circuit inside and see that the pins are easily identified (labeled 30, 86, 87 etc).  and get one that has a plug and some wiring off it so you can splice into it.

Ideally you'd source ae86 full car loom and swap the lot but yeah, not easy. 

Download and print out the matching pinout for your ecu (post it here too so we know what you're referring to).  do the same for the ae92 ecu loom if possible.  Could work it out from the pinout, but without knowing how it works it'll confuse ya.  getting hold of a toyota yellow book workshop manual for the ae9 would be great, so you can understand the electrical systems.

The alt wiring size should be fine unless youre running a big sound system or electric power steer, then the current draw increases heaps and youd want a bigger batt and alt anyway.  the extra draw from a fuel pump and injectors arent huge.  You'll be splicing out the alt wiring anyway as its on the other side of the engine. Also you're going from an external regulator to an internal.  you can use the existing wiring but will need to change the lengths to suit the new position.  could always upgrade the big white alt wire to the B terminal if you find the ae9 wire is bigger than the ae85.  its in the ae9 engine loom anyways so youll prob end up using whats there and make it connect to the existing 85 alt loom or run it direct to battery, where ever that may be.  If the new alt has a sense wire, then you may find it needs to be added in.  external regs dont usually have it.  its one of the 3 wires in the alt 3pin plug (not the charge lamp or ig wires) ant it also connects to the battery. Yeah you could just connect it to the big B terminal but youll get a lower charge voltage under load.

i havent personally done ae92 loom yet, but if its anything like ae101/111 youll have extra stuff to deal with like a starter relay, which if wired correctly also connects to the STA pin of the ecu.

The diagnostic plug has a few extra wirings in it but i cant imagine youd ever notice a weight difference by removing it.  you can check things like if the oxy sensor is faulty without having to tap into a wire somewhere or the back of the ecu.. its right there on the firewall etc.

Hey mate, thanks for the reply!

I am in Dunedin.

Ideally I would like everything to run as intended....eventually....but want to nail the core things required to make it run first.....things like check engine light etc I can figure out later.

The loom has the diag plug on it so I was going to keep it there.

Relay wise, I would like to use the original fuse box if possible. If I need more relays then I am happy to add them in neatly somewhere.

I am happy to extend the smallport loom so it can route inside the cabin nicely.

For the fuel system, I will be sourcing a toyota COR.

I am using the standard AE92 alternator. I have a pretty basic understanding of the charging system and what is required there, the wires will definitely need extending to get where they need to go. I have separated this wiring out of the loom for the time being as it is somewhat separate anyway.

These are the main sources for info I have been using:

http://club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_pages/ECU Japan AE92 90-91.htm

http://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/A_Series/Wiring_Diagrams

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

White will come straight from the battery so be careful where you tap in as it might not be fused

If it’s like my 3A there should be some weird emissions box thing above the glove box, have a look at using the feeds and 0v to that. That way your using factory loom and fuse so will keep it tidy and the ecu fuse in the fuse box instead of a random inline one witch can be hard to trace.

black with yellow strip should be starting circuit and go to your starter relay and solenoid?? There should be another black (with maybe a red stripe?) that will feed other accessories witch might be better for switch feed

16 hours ago, Ashkellybarr said:

White will come straight from the battery so be careful where you tap in as it might not be fused

If it’s like my 3A there should be some weird emissions box thing above the glove box, have a look at using the feeds and 0v to that. That way your using factory loom and fuse so will keep it tidy and the ecu fuse in the fuse box instead of a random inline one witch can be hard to trace.

black with yellow strip should be starting circuit and go to your starter relay and solenoid?? There should be another black (with maybe a red stripe?) that will feed other accessories witch might be better for switch feed

Hey mate, thanks for the reply!

I had similar thoughts about using the wires going to the emissions control box in the passenger kick panel.

Is this the one you are talking about?

As I say the only wire that had power to that was the black yellow upon ignition.

20190512_140009.thumb.jpg.d3c970944157807695493c50675c33cb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah correct. I haven’t looked into it properly but was my plan to reuse factory loom where I could

if there isn’t a constant supply I was going to look at seeing if there was another core going to the fuse box (or close to) and refitting that end onto a fused constant.

• Like 1

If using ae85 dash wiring... do you have a wiring diagram for it?  i had a bit of a google but only found ae86/4age stuffs. ie original toyota workshop manual to download and engine manuals https://www.hachiroku.net/servman which covers the efi wiring but couldnt see reference to the 3au emissions ecu specifically .   its reasonably easy to trace wiring once you've got a matching diagram to follow :) But id be wary of splicing into power to an ecu that is half disconnected from the engine without knowing where the wiring comes from?! (Emissions ecu).

Generally a fat white wire going into a fuse box is the 12v+ power feed and is only fused at the battery which needs to be stepped down in fuse size to be safe. 

So yeah can use the Stop fuse for constant power.  I dont see any reason not to use that plug-in fuse splitter thingee.  even better if it uses a 2nd fuse to power the splice.  chuck a 15amp fuse in for ecu BATT pin and job done.

Im thinking the 30A ign fuse is too grunty for ecu power source.

Do you plan to setup a "main relay" as per ae86 wiring? then basically wire it as it would factory? There's a few things that get power from it in the 86 wiring and its good to share the load instead of running it all through the ignition switch.

I havent had a geez at ae92 wiring diagram but will need to identify if coil and injectors are powered by a relay or via ignition switch.  86 diagrams seem to show both coming from the switch but i recall ae101 had a bunch of stuff on one and a bunch on the other.  had black/orange and black/red wiring to differentiate between the two power sources in ecu loom. One (assumimg switch) came out of the fwd loom around the front end of injectors whereas relay power came out at the fwd engine bay fuse box.

Also, the +B and +B1 pins on the ecu are joined together on the circuit board so only need to supply one of them with switched power from either a main relay or ignition switch via 15A fuse.

• Like 1

On 30/05/2019 at 13:47, AE25 said:

If using ae85 dash wiring... do you have a wiring diagram for it?  i had a bit of a google but only found ae86/4age stuffs. ie original toyota workshop manual to download and engine manuals https://www.hachiroku.net/servman which covers the efi wiring but couldnt see reference to the 3au emissions ecu specifically .   its reasonably easy to trace wiring once you've got a matching diagram to follow :) But id be wary of splicing into power to an ecu that is half disconnected from the engine without knowing where the wiring comes from?! (Emissions ecu).

Generally a fat white wire going into a fuse box is the 12v+ power feed and is only fused at the battery which needs to be stepped down in fuse size to be safe. 

So yeah can use the Stop fuse for constant power.  I dont see any reason not to use that plug-in fuse splitter thingee.  even better if it uses a 2nd fuse to power the splice.  chuck a 15amp fuse in for ecu BATT pin and job done.

Im thinking the 30A ign fuse is too grunty for ecu power source.

Do you plan to setup a "main relay" as per ae86 wiring? then basically wire it as it would factory? There's a few things that get power from it in the 86 wiring and its good to share the load instead of running it all through the ignition switch.

I havent had a geez at ae92 wiring diagram but will need to identify if coil and injectors are powered by a relay or via ignition switch.  86 diagrams seem to show both coming from the switch but i recall ae101 had a bunch of stuff on one and a bunch on the other.  had black/orange and black/red wiring to differentiate between the two power sources in ecu loom. One (assumimg switch) came out of the fwd loom around the front end of injectors whereas relay power came out at the fwd engine bay fuse box.

Also, the +B and +B1 pins on the ecu are joined together on the circuit board so only need to supply one of them with switched power from either a main relay or ignition switch via 15A fuse.

Hey mate, thanks for spending the time to type up that reply.

I have this for the instrument cluster, but nothing really for the dash..

Picture1.png.7b1d30b60da1b5956fe056a379741446.png

Ok, I think I have the BATT sorted for the ECU.

I think the plan for running the fuel pump through the COR and +b and +b1 is to add a "EFI Main" relay into the factory ae85 fuse box...

I have the relay plugged in and tried to find continuity between pins 1-4 on the relay and everything underneath..pin 1 seems to lead to a pin beside the thick white wire coming from the battery. Pin 2 (will go to ECU/COR) and 4 go to a unused terminals under the fusebox (I should be able to put a connector right onto the terminals) and pin 3 shows up on a few pins.....If this is the ground pin does that make sense?

Thanks.