VG's grot bikes: CT200 AG & TA02 GYRO

Vintage Grumble

Long time, no update, mainly because I haven't done fuck all lately. 

So I had an issue with and oversized drum on the front, got a hot tip that the hub from another bike was the same. Got one in from Thailand, went to lace it in, and noticed it was quite different/wouldn't work, so kept an eye out, and after a while got my mits on a mint front wheel, 

s7r9N6U.jpg

Another major advance was getting the seat covered (like 18 months ago, lols) by some chap that likes ice creams, from a place called midday upholstery or something, he spent ages getting the foam shaped, and did a lovely job, 

OsKS61v.jpg

So it's basically done, apart from finishing/shortening the wiring, and putting a speedo on it. I have been thinking about selling it, as I really should get the RD going, so if anyone is interested, PM me. I've spent well over $1800 on it, open to offers. 

P. S. I'll get a pic of it together to show where it's at currently. 

• Like 3

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Yeh I really should finish that Cub, BUT, I now literally have bigger problems. I have purchased a 2003 Suzuki AN250 Burgman limo couch scooter motorbike UFO thing. That doesn't run. A case of the old "it was running OK and then it just stopped" Yep, that old chestnut. @tortron was kind enough to collect it for me, and even check out a few things (thanks heaps for that chap). I was hoping the immobilizer had just gone fruity and killed the spark (which is pretty common) but this bike isn't fitted with an immobilizer. And still has spark. @tortron noted it had fresh engine oil in it, which isn't a good sign, and when doing a leak down test, it failed miserably, seemingly loosing all the compression out the intake. (couldn't be heard in the sump or exhaust) So there is most likely something wrong with an intake valve. I'm going to shoot up to Auckland and collect it this weekend, and then rip it apart and see what's going down. Or hasn't gone back up, probably in this case.

The reason for this purchase is to hopefully save a bit of gas money. I do a minimum of 350km a week going to work and back, which in my car cost just on $100 a week. Every day I use the boogieman, it should save me around $14.00 on gas. That's like $70 a week bro. So hopefully I can repair it relatively cheaply, and start saving that ca$h. The things done like 55000kms, so its probably going to need a few other things freshened up too, but parts seem to be plentiful and relatively cheap.

So place your bets now, on how horribly wrong this will go, and how much money I will waste trying to save some money, lols. 

Oh and some pics, curtesy of @tortron       

IMG_20220210_131529_edit_832733906839077.jpg

IMG_20220210_150425_edit_833164883637970.jpg

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Regards, VG.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Dolan said:

I'm cheesin'

would love a 400 burgman to ride around like a boomer. 

I had my eye on a 400, but they are rated at around 5.5L/100, where as the 250 is 2.5L/100, so purely from a frugalness point of view I decided on the toofiddy. It kinda blows my mind they make a 650.

9 minutes ago, thegreatestben said:

tight, always see frugal fat fucks riding these into town.

Living the dream

This is my future.

• Like 2

I popped up to Auckland Friday night, and collected the Boomerman from @tortronSaturday. Managed to shuffle the tiny camper and tiny boat around, and make room for the ouge scooter. Slapped up some lights and got to ripping it to bits, and by krikey there is a huuugggee amount of shit to remove, the whole thing is elegantly smothered in plastic.

6mHMd0Y.jpeg 

Anyways, I found one of the possible many problems, 

ZCZzCed.jpg 

Snapped retainer, not sure what causes this? Just a random failure? The rocker is a bit dark on the cam end, not sure if that's a sign of it being run out of oil? On a positive note, it looks like it's been serviced fairly regularly, pretty clean. I'll have to whip the head off and see if the piston and valve have been making out.

This bike is actually slightly flasher than what I was expecting, water cooled and has a disc brake rear. It's not overly rough either, should clean up ok.

Regards, V boomerbiker G.

• Like 8

If you need geguine parts; find part numbers here: https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-an250_model13097/

Then enter them in here: https://japan.webike.net/oem_parts/top/

Often not terribly priced. Sometimes stuff will come up with a price straight away, sometimes it takes 12-24 hours for them to figure out if they have access to it or not. Quotes save for a few days too. Good luck with the Medium spice level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tortron said:

Suzuki 125,200,250 rockers are quite prone to wearing out too, if it was run low on oil the surface of them will show it. Get sheepers to give them a hand polish

I have a pile of concave ones

I did note there were a lot of places selling rocket arms, so assumed they were a consumable on these. It all looks pretty good in there, apart from a bit of caramelized oil on the end of the rockers. 

8 minutes ago, MopedNZ said:

If you need geguine parts; find part numbers here: https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-an250_model13097/

Then enter them in here: https://japan.webike.net/oem_parts/top/

Often not terribly priced. Sometimes stuff will come up with a price straight away, sometimes it takes 12-24 hours for them to figure out if they have access to it or not. Quotes save for a few days too. Good luck with the Medium spice level. 

Thanks for the tip chap, I probably will go for genuine bits as its a bit of a mish to get to the engine. I got a lot of parts from webike when I had the street magic, will weigh them up against the local suzuki agent, who are actually pretty helpful. 

The thing I linked is Webikes backend OEM part tool. It's all genuine parts straight from the factories. I've got a tonne from them. Not to be confused with all the aftermarket parts they have on the main site.@Raizer pests it quite a bit too. Just usually cheaper than going through a local dealer or CMSNL - often faster as they end up coming from the same place but the local dealers have to sit on their thumbs for a few days first before they can be bothered doing a specific order.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

rekt

Basically needs a new head with all the trimmings, cylinder is savable, piston probably not, and seeing as the rest of it's an unknown, game over I guess.

5oMWDdT.jpeg

gr8HPxW.jpeg

7SNbQGX.jpeg

3sFbW6g.jpeg

JGxcAOt.jpeg

Don't think it's economical to repair, probably slap on TM/part out and try recoup some monies. 

Seemed like a good idea at the time/in the back of my mind I knew it was going to be fucked.

• Sad 4

you can fix that head

20-22mm reamer (is what the gns take)

wet sand the cam cover on a sheet of glass to take it down a mm/fraction of, then bolt together a(and put in a jig if possible) and run the reamer through it to clean it up

i found this write up a while ago, http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268452150  theres another identical one on another forum that has the pics still. buts its straight forward what you are doing

the rest is aliexpress specials, if its same as gn/dr 250?

• Like 1

Nah the GN, Dr, and a bunch of bigger suzukis just run straight in the head. 

My an125 has bearings, so I'd have assumed this one would have that as well, maybe cos it's water-cooled they decided it didn't need it. 

If the rest of those head parts are gn250 it would be a low budget rebuild. 

The cam looks like it might be a gn250 one with the tach drive cut off