VG's grot bikes: CT200 AG & TA02 GYRO

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed riding with this on Eastcape. I lol every time I watch the video from it and you zip between the other CT110s along the coast after drafting them. 

Also i’m having bad thoughts about adding the EFI gear to an older engine after you mention putting in a crab powered one. @Raizer what are your thoughts on this? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GuyWithAviators said:

I really enjoyed riding with this on Eastcape. I lol every time I watch the video from it and you zip between the other CT110s along the coast after drafting them. 

Also i’m having bad thoughts about adding the EFI gear to an older engine after you mention putting in a crab powered one. @Raizer what are your thoughts on this? 

I'm glad you noticed the draft n split move, I was very proud of myself.

Interesting idea on EFI-ing. The NBC seems to run really well, very linear and super cheap to run, it seems to use less than 2l per hundy ks. Main downside is it's a bit harder/more expensive to get more power out of, not much in the way of performance parts about for them yet.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HighLUX said:

Hmmmm theres a $200 supercub on trademe at the moment. Wonder if its just not running because the fuel pump is fuuuu’d

Could be, their auction descriptions are super shonkey. Mine said that it runs, even though half the motor was missing, and that it had rust issues, but has no rust on it anywhere. If you can get it cheap enough, if motors too involved to fix, just china engine it.

• Like 1

I've started modding/ruining number 2. Here she is as I got her,

n6nolN4.jpg

Z9EV0lC.jpg

Fist thing I did was remove the bung engine/headlight frame/handle bars/gauge cluster. Then I tried on a set BSA bars I had laying about. They are close to what I want, but not quite. I put them on up-side-down, and realized that wont work with my legs/height. I chopped up the light frame, and made a new mount, so the light is right in against the plastics. I then shortened the indicators, and did some cleaver shit to mount them directly to the headlight. Pretty happy with the look of the light/indicators.

q2Ldqpw.jpg

DeEMNq3.jpg

P2X59sg.jpg

I also found its going to be super easy to lower, so have lowered the front about 45mm. I will modify the original back shocks to start with, to save $$$. I will probably also shorten the front guard a bit. The seat was a bit shitty, so pulled the cover off. I plan to shave the foam down a bit and make it more slim-line, and get it recovered. 

Now for the really tricky bit. These things are like the Kim Kardashian of the small bike world, and have a huge arse, which is mostly made of plastic. Trying to make it look chur-er-er without making it look worse, might be a bit tricky.

60k8MMh.jpg

WzsMf5v.jpg

I need to keep the green side covers under the seat, and not sure if it will look OK if I don't continue this on after the shock? I don't really know what to do here, but I would like to go for a round tail light, and try find another set of front indicators for the rear.

And that's about as far as I've got so far.

Regards, VG.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Raizer said:

Mate, you're going to save money on front tyres in the long run, they're never going to touch the ground!

This thing is going to be so lush

Thanks for the lollies and hotel spec tea bags btw, I found them in the engine box after you left, lols.

1 hour ago, MopedNZ said:

Holy damn son. This is attractive. 

Are you gonna try stealth the engine with the original airbox and such or just have the carb slammed out the side somewhere?

You know what, I didn't even think about reusing the OG air box, I will look into it. The new motor is a bit longer and sits further forward also, so not sure it will work. I had kinda planned to just have the carb sideways with the filter through the leg shield. I was going to try hide the oil cooler up where the air box used to be too.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yeh so progress on this has slowed due to our first child arriving 5 weeks ago, but before she showed up I got a tiny bit done.

I removed the pump/sender set up, and luckily the pump and sender just unclip from the top, so you can whack it back in to plug the hole. I just need to block off the outlet.

khbNF6H.jpg

I also started removing the unneeded wiring, of which there is a shit ton.

iMatdh0.jpg

I decided to go for a 3" round taillight from Taiwan, suited my requirements perfectly, and very good quality.

4ZO3gEw.jpg

I got a fuel tap with reserve, as I won't have a gauge, and as the old EFI outlet is on top of the tank, I'll have to weld on a base for this to bolt to.

deDmoT2.jpg

China clutch handle and cable.

mH1Oe8c.jpg

China oil cooler, bit rough but should do the trick. Might have to make new lines to suit the engine.

swP9dGf.jpg

Then I started playing around with the rump. Have an idea in my head of the shape, bit will be a bit of work. I shaved the original side panels down so the shape would suit the panals infront of the shocks, and will do the top side in foam or something, and glass over it all.

UfY3Hdz.jpg

Vnb4qMO.jpg

And that's as far as I got. Hopefully I will find time to crack on with this soon, as I'm Ken as a Ben to get working on it.

Regards, your old mate, VG.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

So I got some second hand panniers off TM, they were undrilled/hadn't been used on a bike (not sure if they are actually intended for a bike?) and were reasonably priced, so grabbed them. They look like they will be waterproof, and at 45l each, there's so much room for activities! The second bike still had a postie rack on it, so I modified that to suit. They are quite huge, but the rack is only held on with 2x nuts and 2x bolts, so can swap it for the OG rack in like 2 mins.

Postie rack,

uBLDs4o.jpg

These suckers were purchased in Germany, looks like they have been around the block,

kL3M19j.jpg

And one all mounted up, forgot to get enough bolts for the other, Durr,

aVjF8KV.jpg

2e8FjqE.jpg

So much storage on such a small bike!

Regards, VG.

• Like 5