Eastcapescapade 2018 November 9-10-11

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So may I ask as to a really rough itinerary for how this would play out? 

Like.meet where at when on the Friday?  And what time would we.likely get back to civilization on Sunday?  Since I'd be fly in fly out I need a rough idea to work out the feasiblity of it all. It also might be cheaper to send my bike to a proper city. If maybe someone was bringing a few from.wherever? 

6 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

So may I ask as to a really rough itinerary for how this would play out? 

Like.meet where at when on the Friday?  And what time would we.likely get back to civilization on Sunday?  Since I'd be fly in fly out I need a rough idea to work out the feasiblity of it all. It also might be cheaper to send my bike to a proper city. If maybe someone was bringing a few from.wherever? 

Can most likely arrange to get it from Auckland or Tauranga to Whakatane easy enough for ya. 

• Like 2

We got to Whakatane early. But this year will be even earlier likely. Start point was 5 minutes outside town at a farm, parked there unloaded and left after everyone had written down next of kin, etc. 

@johnnyfive had a chat about the route and what to expect and went over any concerns then we left and rode for 8+ hours to Hicks Bay, stopping along the way a few times. Most of us lost reception from half way here for the next day or so. 

Stayed there, hooned on beach in morning and left, had a few stops along the way and ended up in gisborne in the evening. 

Left gisborne and stopped at Rere Falls, another place and then went over the Motu road, this took a few hours if I recall correctly. But I wasn’t too with it all broken in the support car at this point. Arrived back at the start point that evening like 5PM. 

So, Friday morning early departure. Like 7-8 I imagine if we’re doing earlier than last year. Riding full days, ending Sunday night at the start point like 5pm ish. Same times regardless of the direction we’d go in. 

27 minutes ago, GuyWithAviators said:

Can most likely arrange to get it from Auckland or Tauranga to Whakatane easy enough for ya. 

Keen.

@MopedNZ,

How.early we talking? I'm no.stranger to being up before 6 on weekdays. I'm thinking a flight up Thursday night. It's likely easier to get a cheap ticket to a larger Centre.  Then either roll down later that night, or early early Fri morning

• Like 1

Rofls. 

Fairly busy currently but will try answer your queries as time allows. Prod me again if I miss anything or don't expand enough. 

I think we didn't get moving till 10 or something last year on the first day so even just an hour earlier could make all the difference. 

Rough plan could look something like this @RUNAMUCK

Those traveling far might look to arrive on Thursday night to make getting away achievable. Plenty of options/beds for those that need it. 

On paper ride is starting from whakatane, but most people parked cars at our place about 15 mins into the route, plenty of secure parking, shed space and some beds etc. Might try put on a BBQ breakfast this time round. 9 is I think a good time to get away, so we'll aim for 8?

Either direction we go in, we tend to be near a small town garbage food outlet (think pies, fish and chips, toasted sandwiches) close enough to lunch time, maybe carry a snack if you're Keen. 

Get into night 1 location, see some sights, eat dinner, go sharn, sleep. Repeat day 2. 

Day 3(Sun) similar expectations, someone correct me but I think we got back to vehicles by 4-5pm? Another hour to TGA from there. Pretty sure there is CHCH-TGA flights. WHK only flies to AKL.

@Truenotch an e-form would probably be a good idea, but then how do I scribble out sometimes details when they 'go missing' ?

Will try tally up some of the interested parties in the coming weeks and see how things look. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We could definitely shave a couple hours off each day if we had to. As soon as one person stops, everyone following does, nek minute you've been sitting round talking shit in the middle of nowhere for 40 mins. 

It's hard to keep moving but it'd be nice to have a couple hours up our sleeves in case of genuine delays. 

If we can get into Hicks Bay/ Te Araroa early enough we could try get up to the lighthouse the evening before, as that knocked a good 2-3hrs out of that mornings daylight hours

• Like 4

Keen for entry form and twenny huck$ sent to one of ewe dudes to prove we're coming. Would pay for the beer for the bach owner in hicks bay(remember it's like $100 for a dozen corona there)/Support vehicle stuff/if shit went down having a small pile of extra cash laying around in the support vehicle wouldn't be a bad thing. 

• Like 1

A small fee is a great idea. Do we need to carry our own fuel, or does the support rig carry it for us?  The low low total outlay is what appeals. But with such low overheads the sum total of those small fees could go a very long way. (I'm thinking a sticker would be a must too) 

last year you carried your own fuel. it was kinda good that way. some bikes dont even need to carry fuel. 

was talking to brent last night and he was saying how good itd be to not to carry our own fuel. 

an here i am on trade me looking at ct110s end up looking at 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dual-purpose/auction-1634798304.htm?rsqid=0a8b9cb459444a7e8c113620ab1cc2d5

would be so lush

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You ideally wanna carry everything you possibly can. Fuel, backpack etc, towel, tools - everything required to fix a puncture or replace a tube on your bike and also the right stuff to get at your spark plug etc. Small tent thing if you're staying outside. Over half of us had swappa crates on the back of our bikes filled with stuff. 

Aim to be self sufficient. Yes the support vehicle will probably have some fuel/room for a few things but if you're at the front of the pack and run out it's a long wait. If each person has a bag for the truck then it's 14+ bags. Adds up quickly.

Here's mine and @GuyWithAviators set up for last year. My rear rack bent and snapped in places by the end because of shit build quality and the weight of stuff. Lol.

iUH1ksi.jpg

4q79ztC.jpg