Eastcapescapade 2018 November 9-10-11

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SI_20180920_221115.thumb.jpg.5e7da12afcf743b385280cd10c1839e4.jpg

Rack attached. Good old riv nuts are a life saver. Two in the bottom and welded the top nut in. Lock washer arrives tomorrow so no need for any lock tight. Lucky I'm actually riding my bike and finding these issues now. And out to do more testing this weekend. 

Might make my sack to carry luggage in the front this weekend. See how i get on. 

• Like 8

having never done more than a few ks on a motorbike

whats your guys usual stash of tools for long rides/in general

im thinking

tube or two

tyre tools

few adjustable spanner or certain sizes for wheel removal etc?

spare plug and plug spanner

spare 4T oil 

ive got a small 1/4 socket set

what else?

13 minutes ago, datlow said:

having never done more than a few ks on a motorbike

whats your guys usual stash of tools for long rides/in general

im thinking

tube or two

tyre tools

few adjustable spanner or certain sizes for wheel removal etc?

spare plug and plug spanner

spare 4T oil 

ive got a small 1/4 socket set

what else?

yea one tube should suffice unless you have different size wheels, can stash a wee puncture repair kit as well as your unlikely to have 2 punctures in one day. i wouldnt stress too much about tyre levers as there will be a bunch of us with levers, and you can get away with a screwdriver and spark plug tool for that.

correct spanners to adjust chain / axle and remove front or rear wheel, depending on your bike this is usually 10/12 and like a 17 or 20 for axle nut. it is very likely you will need to adjust your chain 2-3 times on the trip. 

a small nut fucker never goes a miss

i wouldnt get too worried bringing a lot of oil, especially if your bike doesnt already drink a lot, stuff like a ct110 wont need any, if chinese engine maybe 200-300 mls but again probs not needed.

def a spare plug and plug spanner, find a small bike tool kit where the plug spanner is also a flat head and phillips screwdriver. i wouldnt worry too much about sockets, spanners will do the trick.

make sure you have the required tools to pull a carb off and whip the jets out in case it sucks in a bit of shit.

if you make sure you have the bare minimum for all that listed above you will find you actually need fuck all tools. there will be a big assortment of tools chucked in the support wagon not so much for during the day as that will slow us down but if someone has a major we can fix it that night and will have the shit to do so. ill bring a big assortment for the wagon and things like some brackets and bolts and shit incase mufflers rattle off and that sort of shit but again if we have those sort of issues its likely going to be on the first day and we have raizers workshop / welder that night so should be all gravy.

oh and cable ties, fuck loads of cable ties, they fix everything.

tl:dr dont go crazy as you dont want to way yourself down, but bring enough to change a plug, adjust chain and fix a flatty and you will be sweet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Given the number of people attending and the fact I don't really want to do it again on the same boring bike, I would like to volunteer myself in a second support vehicle.  I will have space and am willing to carry spares or any luggage/fuel that might not be practical to wedge onto your scooters.  

If there's already enough support people, i don't mind staying home.

Who was the other person keen on driving?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2