Eastcapescapade 2018 November 9-10-11

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I mean as long as it'll run the distance WOT the whole way then yeah sweet as. What kinda bike?

I've never ridden one but things I'm picturing having trouble are single speed stuff with no power running out of gearing. I think FA50 maybe?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steelies said:

shit a dick out this looks fun. have made movements to finish scoot build, but still pretty much a lingpost. is 70s suzuki 50cc manual turdpower enough for this adventure?

Pls tell me this is the RV

Like @johnnyfive said earlier in the thread you really want something that can comfortably sit on 60kph at the bare minimum. If it can do that then you’ll be happy. Something that requires you to walk beside it when it comes to hills won’t be fun anymore after the first set of hills. 

Last year the 50’s had to leave 10-20 minutes early from every stop and we’d all catch them after about half an hour anyway. Honda Ruckus and a  slightly modified SJ50. 

There ended on being a group of 5-6 that could hold 80-90 comfortably. (CT’s and the like)

A few at 70-80kph. Then the 50’s were tapped out at 60 ish most of the time in the back.

Personally I had a blast being able to hold the higher of those speeds and play games of who can tuck the most to get an extra Km or two out of the bikes.

In saying that the dudes on the 50’s still had a fuarkin’ blast. 

I'm gonna sit at 60ish. Kinda feels more like the spirit of the event. If i wanted to go faster I'd bring a real bike or an OS car?

An Austin 7 would be a perfect  car for this event. Max speed around 60. (with a downhill and a strong south westerly up your freckle, no passengers and no pies for brekkie) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tumeke said:

I'm gonna sit at 60ish. Kinda feels more like the spirit of the event. If i wanted to go faster I'd bring a real bike or an OS car?

We all did that for the first day, but after 12 hours in the saddle we found ourselves gradually accelerating and having high speed (2 digit) races sporadically through the day. 

My favourite one was get ahead of everyone and pull over, take some photos of the pack then get back on and pick everyone off till I was with the 110 pack again. Great times. 

• Like 1

There is a big difference between a bike that maxes 60 but shit up hills and one that has a top speed of 60 but still pulls hills good. I don’t thi k you would want anything slower than the modded SJ to be honest. Our CT’s / Logan’s can do 80-90 but we cruise at 70, and that’s why the love the big trips. A small 50cc tapped out WOT to hold 60 for 650km is likely gunna die. Lifan everything / steal a mudbug. This is also a great ride for small bikes, Bloke on A GN250 has a great time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tumeke said:

Did Nats over to Akaroa on the B100.

2 Smoke don't like hills. Even with 120cc. Then again it is 50 years old.

I'll see what else I can find in time.

Don't think a B120 would be the end of the world. As long you're confident with it at WOT for 650km I wouldn't hesitate taking it if I owned it. Just remember there is a good chunk of gravel/dirt roads. Motu being gravel and a mountain range. The other main part is the Lighthouse road which is dusty with the occasional rock and full of horses.

Just loctite your airbox on and you'll be schweeeeet. 

Road conditions are like this, but this also misses out the whole last half day which was deeeeep gravel. The Motu road has signs at each end advising cars not to go on it. 4WD only spec. 

Good time to watch this for research:

• Like 1

Yeah id recommend something that can do 60-70kms happily. Theres alot of flat riding in places and sitting tapped out at 60 starts to feel real slow after a while but 2 strokes and cvt of fury was a demon on the hills if you kept it on pipe. 

Id suggest purchasing VGs SJ50 if your in doubt of your own bikes abilities 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The B100 will sit at 60 all day. Got 4 of the gears. Tops out at 110 (factory says so?.... ahem) I've seen 85 before I backed off.

But I like the bloody thing too much (family history), so might build something I can disrespect a little more :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HighLUX said:

Id suggest purchasing VGs SJ50 if your in doubt of your own bikes abilities 

And if anyone does follow this advice I've got a nice variator kit here to suit that should get it up to 70k or more...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1