AMR300 and AMR500 talk

~Slideways~

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An old barry told me about this. Apparently it's reasonably accurate. I've used it a couple times for dreams of belt driven fun but never gone through due to being poor. Though I feel a supercharged trials car may be in my future with that amr500 price. 

http://performancetrends.com/Calculators/Supercharger-Boost-Calculator/Supercharger-Boost-Calculator.php   

Driven at 1:1 on your engine an amr 300 would have a boost ratio of 1.81.

That would equate to a measly 11.9 psi. 

Assuming the supercharger was 100% efficient  (often they're not in worn etc/less air moved/lower boost) and assuming your motor had 100%VE. (It won't,  meaning more restriction to the air being pumped in/higher boost figure)

Roots blowers love draw through. On an Eaton supercharger page on farcebook a guy wanted to add an injector before his blower to take up the clearances and improve efficiency. (His blower had lost its rotor coating that Eaton have)

I say fucking do it. 

But I'd set the belt up to time the discharge pulses to coincide with the intake events. It'd be like a really extreme hermholtz resonance effect. 

• Like 2

Öi was loosely refering to the ram charger effect of a tuned length intake runner where the pulse wave reaches the valve right as its opened. (In r and d jaguar achieved VE over 100% with very long runners on a test bed)  but with a blower pulse reaching peak in time with a valve event similar good things would happen*

*actually based on no actual science, just some shit I dreamed up 

Rename thread to supercharger thread so I can post my awesome/junk DC3 cabin blower plz. 

3 hours ago, sentra said:

Is Bart Helmpsons Blower belt timing resonance thing? It seems like a good idea

It could be a thing. Would need to be a 2 lobe blower on a 4cyl running 1:1. I suspect no one has ever bothered as most blower development has been on v8's and 2 lobes are obsolete. 

p.s. @RUNAMUCK you want the pulse to arrive at the end of the intake valve event, not the start. Trapping 140% boost at end of the intake event would certainly be helpful. 

root's-blower-three-lobes.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BobbyBreeze said:

Rename thread to supercharger thread so I can post my awesome/junk DC3 cabin blower plz. 

It could be a thing. Would need to be a 2 lobe blower on a 4cyl running 1:1. I suspect no one has ever bothered as most blower development has been on v8's and 2 lobes are obsolete. 

p.s. @RUNAMUCK you want the pulse to arrive at the end of the intake valve event, not the start. Trapping 140% boost at end of the intake event would certainly be helpful. 

root's-blower-three-lobes.jpg

Well yes,

But my rational is that with well timed charge pulse it'd go straight into the cylinder. Resulting in the minimum physical compression (as in actual measurable psi) for the given volume of air being pumped. The difference might be immeasurable. But if the incoming charge sees less pysical compression it should heat up less too. 

I suspect that's why ten5's bike made so many boosts. The blower was puffing away, and for most of the time the pulses being discharged were being squeezed into the very small space between the head of the (closed) valve,  and the pump.  It shouldn't have seen the numbers it was. Likely the poor (read fucking shithouse) VE of that little sidevalve Honda motor would have probably contributed to his fantastic boost number.

It often bothered me as to why it was like that. And (bar the dismal VE) that was the most likely cause. 

So along that line of thinking, the time the pulse deal seemed logical. 

You'd probably need a toothed belt (a cam belt would do) and have a vernier cam gear. Then experiment with tuning the timing. Measuring boost preasure,and Intake temperature. 

Also

The manifolds that came with my amr500 (from the diahatsu or whatever they are from) has a pressure release valve. 

Is there any point in having that replicated on a custom manifold? 

My plan was to have it connect to a 1L plenum as i read someplace that havung a plenum equal to engine displacement was a good idea. 

Also set it up so fuel doesnt pool in the plenum or intakes. 

In the old supercharger kits for sidevalve minors the carb is mouted real low, down by the grill, theres plenty of other space for it, so i assume is so the fuel would run back down

On a carb setup the release valve if for the case of a backfire so the 1L plenum of fuel charge doesn't turn into a grenade or damage the supercharger with a massive back pressure. I've seen a video of a type 35 Bugatti being given a good squirt at night. There was fire spitting out the exhaust and out the hole in the bonnet which the release valve pokes through. The Delage GP car that was out at the Skope classic apparently has hydrauliced on an occasion due to flooding and the fuel pooling in the blower.  

• Like 2

I saw that photo of the v pulley and started dreaming of a supercharged 3 cylinder perkins.

I like tractors more than i should.

Edit. Also, in thay amr500 auction there are reviews from a few ppl who have actually used them on an engine.. mx5 and honda. Pretty cool

• Like 1