• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just clocked up 50 trouble free ks

such modern reliable efficiency 

fuel needles still on full (was overful after I put a whopping 2.5L in)

oh and slapped some yellow lens tint on, I think it’s growing on me

40621656-B11A-4364-B1B3-F59CE417C4D4.jpeg

6060D767-10C0-4DB9-AD23-F584B2AB4445.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers man

yeah figured for 337.33 even if it was toast I could use it for parts for my c50 but seems to be running mint, just need to seal a few oil leaks

went for a night ride and discovered the speedo didn’t light up 

figured since I had the cluster apart and the handle bar loose I’d chuck my old cx500 straight bars on, also remembered I had a speedo too so on that went

4BED71FC-C5A2-473B-9628-0C1E441EF646.jpeg

• Like 3

On 25/10/2018 at 22:04, datlow said:

got enthused and removed handle bars and gauge cluster from my honda nbc/postie and installed some bars and a speedo (from dimecity with led warnings/backlights)

wired up with a seemingly pretty shitty ali "waterproof" connector only indicators worked

found a better connector and found that i had a couple of wires round the wrong way (because theyre led)

but i now have no headlight ( its AC) and the led for highbeam on the speedo aint working even with direct 12v from a battery

checked rectifier and it doesnt have any output for the yellow light wire ac or dc

im assuming the led shorted the circuit and has blown the rectifier?

So yeah that happened, whilst looking for a wiring diagram (figured should be similar to a grom which is popular in USA and lots of english sites)

found you could buy a rectifier that just puts out dc for the lights so can also run led lights I stumbled across this

http://tripageled.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=182

so just need a jumper wire to the DC brake circuit seems easy and free

there was a aux switch already wired into the brake circuit for a extra taillight that I assume they used on the post bag that would of been on the back so chopped that and put into the headlight wire from the rectifier

hey presto I now have switchable headlights and working led display

B3EF1F7B-1492-4483-A6D1-7CB96CFE11CA.jpeg

0A3758DB-863B-45E9-95B7-3347656AB530.jpeg

• Like 2

Also pulled the rear wheel of to check the brakes (they are fine and bigger than older cubs just to make it a pain/won’t swap with my other bike)

the bearing was toast and had been spinning in the housing 

so replaced front and rear bearing and loctite in

txvytm1a.vmu.jpeg

old cub manual says to fill with grease ( nzpost clearly never have)

figured id just leave them sealed both sides as they’re pretty cheap to replace and minimal mess

• Like 1

And for the trifecta of shit servicing

the brake pedal felt crappy and was hitting the exhaust

turns out it should have a cotter pin stopping it from sliding out, should also be greased 

its worn the hangers oval but It’ll be ok/might look at some sort of bush in the future

so lubed and put a nail in the slot (will find a washer and pin today)

3muwvxl3.yzl.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

so list nbc on trademe and sold yesterday (unfortunately only one bid but meh), being collected this weekend so will have some room for the latest purchase

On 20/03/2019 at 13:51, datlow said:

working on buying more bikes so theres not enough room in my shed to work on them...

bought this

3K06GeH.jpg

Got it cheap but dereg and missing half the wiring and lights etc

then this popped up on fb with reg on hold but not running reckon I should be able to make one from the two

pzvu1AV.jpg

Keen for this style

uyiRXp9.jpg

so first one is a cb125t with comstars missing/cut up wiring apparently needs coils to run... but has twin carbs

second is a cm125t with wire wheels appears to be all there but wouldnt start for previous owner (nothing happened when key turned yet batterys charged so will have to get out the meter) this ones single carb

looking on line they seem to be all about the same power (something to do with a 125cc & power limit for this kind of bike?)

anyone have any knowledge on these, which ones best motor wise/anyone need parts

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

glad i found this on the net before i tried starting the blue bikes motor, looks like ive got a 180 and a 360 crank so will have to find some wirirng diagrams to rewire the green bike to run the other motor (that should have more power-rev better)

"The CB125T, whether early 6v and points or later 12v and CDi ignition, has a 180 degree cranks; one piston up, one piston down. 

Consequently it needs two seperate ignition circuits, with two seperate ignition coil to provide sparks at the right time. 

Coil you describe, with two High Tension leads to both spark plugs is possibly from a 360 degree crank engine, that has both pistons rising and falling together, or is a generic 'pattern' replacement. 

On the 360 crank motors, only one ignition circuit is needed, triggering both spark plgs similteniousely, once per engine revolution. One piston will be aproaching TDC on the compression stroke, with a charge in the pot the spark will ignite; other slug will be rising on the exhaust stroke, with smoke in the pot, and a spark in there wont really do much, so firing plugs to gether saves some hassle. On next cycle, it will be the other way around. 

Almost all the small honda twins APART from the CB125 have 360 cranks; the engine could be from a CM125 'Custom', a CA125 'Rebel' a CD125 'Benley', could also be a 200 engine from CD or CM, or even 233cc from a CB250 'nighthawk' or CM250 Rebel... 

So before going any further we need to bottom what you got; becouse I suspect its a mongrel. 

CM125 motors in CB125's are common swap. They are bolt-for bolt directly interchangeable with the CB engine, as they are bilt on teh same crank cases and use the same barels and heads. 

The CB's are revvy little things tuned for 13 or 17bhp dependant on guise; the CM's & CD's are sloggers, tuned for reliability & ecconomy making around 10-11bhp at best; they make good donor's becouse they dont tend to be worth as much, and less stressed, they dont get so thrashed to pieces. "

• 3 months later...

Been lazy, stripped the Cm125t 

had parts vapour blasted

Fuel tank suprisingly only had 2 dents under several layers of paint and full coat of bog

have it as work to try and remove dents then hopefully get it powder coated

had forks and front rim powdercoated, bought a complete ali rear wheel (wider rim and bigger spokes), bought some spokes for the front but they may be a tad too long reckon they look nice tho

DG2PzBG.jpg

now to mock up and find some tyres and tubes to fit 

got a s/h cheapy 120/90-17 but it’s too wide :cry:

CCUgI93.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got enthused this arvo and did a bit more

matty b the tank as it’s bare steel (can’t decide what/how to paint it properly )

Xnn19zL.jpg

fitted chain and  a sr244 golden boy to the rear as they’d run out of matching 700 that’s on the front 
big boy tyres are a ball ache to change

ZcuKefo.jpg

Went to roll it of the bench only to discover that the centre stand locks up on the knobs :doubt:

sjpQCC1.jpg

ditched that, got it on the ground and it now has the mean gangster lean on the side stand

have found a longer xl125 one that I’ll mod and fit 

• Like 3