Tristans 1974 Honda cb550

triumph...tristan

• 1 month later...

So another deal came up for some more cb500/cb550 stuff, i couldent pass the deal up so the other week i jumped in the ute and picked up this hoard of honda goodness! The green one is actually a super good example, its all complete theres just alot of patina! the plates still in the system so that will make it super easy to get it back on the road, I really wanted to make my original cb into abit of a cafe/brat but it was just to good to hack up, and even this green one is just to good,  I proabally wont have time to do the green one, so that may possibly be coming up for sale soon, but thats not guaranteed yet, but then it also came with this red one its missing a few parts, but that makes it a perfect candidate to build into to something sick! i wont feel bad about cutting bits off! theres just no plate! so im really hoping it wont be a big hassle getting it back on the road! it also came with a couple of engines and a heap of spare parts! super stocked with all this stuff! so i gave the carbs a clean on both of the bikes chucked some spare engine bits on the red one, and i manged to get them both running which is a massive bonus! 

IMG_0325_opt.jpg.e24d296709c83e4f196a44d2ae463e24.jpg

IMG_0330_opt.jpg.3fb41c74cdda9cd11f544562f4b210f4.jpg

IMG_0332_opt.jpg.bd2f6c07ab64f187f1cb6b2304bf184c.jpg

IMG_0343_opt.jpg.f5fe421b4eac82562949a375f4e3dc6b.jpg

IMG_0346_opt.jpg.d55a608c70b4b46e171088b1e3cc6c2a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Getting old bikes revinned isn’t as hard as doing cars. I wonder if it is worth getting it revinned as stock as possible before bratting it? My dad has put a heap of old bikes back on the road most of which were dead reg. I’ll talk to him tonight and see if he has any tips. 

Also, nice work not chopping up the red bike. Looks mean stock as rock.

@kiwi808 Awesome!  That would be sweet if you could ask him! Any information would be super helpful, I would hate to Chuck money at it then the refuse to re register it,  I gave the transport agency a message so I'm hoping they come back with a positive reply. Thanks man yeah I'm super stocked that I keeped it all original, it's such a comfy bike to ride as is haha! 

On 6/23/2018 at 19:52, triumph...tristan said:

@kdotlowe sweet that's awesome news! So all you had was a chassis number and that was enough for them? 

Pretty much. I went to Blue Wing Honda who confirmed that my chassis number was a bike sold by Honda NZ in the 70's. I did have a number plate on it, but it wasn't in the system. They did let me keep the black plate too which was cool.

• 6 months later...
On 21/06/2018 at 21:21, triumph...tristan said:

So another deal came up for some more cb500/cb550 stuff, i couldent pass the deal up so the other week i jumped in the ute and picked up this hoard of honda goodness! The green one is actually a super good example, its all complete theres just alot of patina! the plates still in the system so that will make it super easy to get it back on the road, I really wanted to make my original cb into abit of a cafe/brat but it was just to good to hack up, and even this green one is just to good,  I proabally wont have time to do the green one, so that may possibly be coming up for sale soon, but thats not guaranteed yet, but then it also came with this red one its missing a few parts, but that makes it a perfect candidate to build into to something sick! i wont feel bad about cutting bits off! theres just no plate! so im really hoping it wont be a big hassle getting it back on the road! it also came with a couple of engines and a heap of spare parts! super stocked with all this stuff! so i gave the carbs a clean on both of the bikes chucked some spare engine bits on the red one, and i manged to get them both running which is a massive bonus! 

IMG_0325_opt.jpg.e24d296709c83e4f196a44d2ae463e24.jpg

IMG_0330_opt.jpg.3fb41c74cdda9cd11f544562f4b210f4.jpg

IMG_0332_opt.jpg.bd2f6c07ab64f187f1cb6b2304bf184c.jpg

IMG_0343_opt.jpg.f5fe421b4eac82562949a375f4e3dc6b.jpg

IMG_0346_opt.jpg.d55a608c70b4b46e171088b1e3cc6c2a.jpg

Hi Tristan.

Do you still have the green cb550?

If so, what are your plans for it? Interested in selling it?

Thanks.