Gav’s Honda N360

~Slideways~

Just thinking out loud about roll cages. I plan to have a full cage in my 200sx but every time I work on the N360 I think that I'm putting far more performance into this tiny 60's Honda shell and I really should have a cage in it. 

But then that's two cars I would need an authority card/log book for and 2 x 2 events that I need to enter each year...oh no that sounds terrible I know. But in reality I may not have time for four 'forced' events while the kids are little.

So I was thinking about a half cage, no need for authority card. But that doesn't help the bit I'm sitting in.

Would it be possible to have a half cage with side intrusion bars without the full cage restrictions?

A full cage would be safer but I'll use the 200sx for events mostly. The N360 will be a hilarious autocross, motorkhana and fun road car.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd personally not bother but then I drive like a nanna both on and off the track. 

Providing you could weld some plates with captured nuts in the right areas, I'd make it bolt in. But if you're not circuit racing I wouldn't bother as it would be unlikely that you'd be T-boned. 

VIRM:

Table 7-7-1. Modifications that do not require LVV certification

Roll-bar or roll-cage structures (roll protection or cosmetic)

• each seating position is fitted with an effective head restraint, and
  • the bars are positioned:

– behind, following a plane extending upward, parallel to the back of the backrest on the rear-most seat, and

– in such a way that the head restraint would provide protection from head contact with any bar section during a crash.

13 minutes ago, kyteler said:

VIRM:

Table 7-7-1. Modifications that do not require LVV certification

Roll-bar or roll-cage structures (roll protection or cosmetic)

• each seating position is fitted with an effective head restraint, and
  • the bars are positioned:

– behind, following a plane extending upward, parallel to the back of the backrest on the rear-most seat, and

– in such a way that the head restraint would provide protection from head contact with any bar section during a crash.

I love how it says "or cosmetic" 

I've found some old info talking about side intrusion being possible, but the above doesn't mention it so it must only be referring to a 'normal' 4 point half cage. 

I suppose I could make the side intrusion bolt on... 

23 minutes ago, dmulally said:

I'd personally not bother but then I drive like a nanna both on and off the track. 

Providing you could weld some plates with captured nuts in the right areas, I'd make it bolt in. But if you're not circuit racing I wouldn't bother as it would be unlikely that you'd be T-boned. 

I'd say I push reasonably hard on the track, enough to think now that I have kids it makes sense to have a cage.

I remember doing a couple of pirouettes in the pouring rain at Manfeild and facing on coming traffic once, but that was a bit silly in the rain with surface flooding.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ~Slideways~ said:

I've found some old info talking about side intrusion being possible, but the above doesn't mention it so it must only be referring to a 'normal' 4 point half cage. 

Yeah, I had heard at one point that you could have side bars but they had to be relatively low. However that seems to indicate that a half cage is only possible if there's adequate head restraint and the cage is behind the rear most seat which would mean no side or forward bars at all. Still.. a half caged rear with a good roll bar is better than no cage at all. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SiRge said:

Could you add additional side intrusion into the door? I'm semi considering that option on the crx

I'm not sure if there would be room for the window to wind down anymore, but either way I don't think it would do much because of the door jam design. Interesting idea though.

I like the idea of a half cage with side intrusion if possible because it would stiffen up the body too.

Just a thought right now really.

3 hours ago, kyteler said:

Yeah, I had heard at one point that you could have side bars but they had to be relatively low. However that seems to indicate that a half cage is only possible if there's adequate head restraint and the cage is behind the rear most seat which would mean no side or forward bars at all. Still.. a half caged rear with a good roll bar is better than no cage at all. 

Even if they are relatively low, they could tie in with the dashboard cross bar to stiffen up the body. Worth investigating when it comes to it.

11 minutes ago, ~Slideways~ said:

I'm not sure if there would be room for the window to wind down anymore, but either way I don't think it would do much because of the door jam design. Interesting idea though.

I like the idea of a half cage with side intrusion if possible because it would stiffen up the body too.

Just a thought right now really.

The n360 chassis is a real worry. If you chop the roof off and sit in the car, the floor bends. It makes a new definition of unsafe beyond everything I've seen before

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Sounds like a question for @cletus