Gav’s Honda N360

~Slideways~

2 hours ago, SiRge said:

I got several pipe dreams of things that can fit in these. Have done much research and cried every time at my bank balance and not being able to do the swap using a hammer and screwdriver.

I have a few spare parts etc too, lets meet up and make this matchbox car great again.

I have spent far too much time thinking about options already, tiny car makes things hard but I guess that the point.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After doing some research on that VFR800 build it won't be possible on a right hand drive car, even if I were to make it rwd using a live axle to replace the beam axle rear. The driveshaft goes through the firewall where the pedals are on a RHD car. 

Boo. 

I've email LynxAE to find out how much their fwd sprocket LSD diff's are.

Another option might be to modify a Civic diff, that way I can use bigger civic shafts and hubs/brakes.

VFR800driveshaft.jpg

1 hour ago, dmulally said:

I was talking to Frank the other day about whatever and he mentioned that he was sending some honda panels over. I'm guessing it was to you. Small world!

Yep must be the same Frank, he’s been awesome.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kicker said:

How much engine bay room is there front to back? Could a shaft drive engine be an option, like a GSX1100G?

$_3.JPG

If rwd it would be converting a sprocket to a driveshaft flange eitherway, the difficult bit is have the engine fit and have the output in a spot that works. Also harder to have reverse.

i think I could fit an r1 since they are a compact inline 4, then chain drive to a fwd diff like they do on Mini’s in the UK.

I’ll need to do some measuring to see how much room there is for the fwd diff though.

10 minutes ago, dmulally said:

I've installed an R1 into the back of an Imp before. That was fun. 

Happy to pop out and drink your beer when the time comes and can ride over on a bike that I think is spot on for a car. 

BMW K1200GT. 

The K1200GT sounds like a nice torquey engine, I had a look at some photos and being such a wide flat engine it may fit width wise but it looks like it would be too long if you were thinking as a rwd option.

I think the reason the R1 works so well in fwd format is its compactness and the location of the sprocket works well with fwd sprocket diffs. 

I might need to take the engine out for rust repairs so I could do some proper measuring then.

How did you find the r1 in the Imp? It must need a decent amount of revs and clutch slip from a standing start? 

I've seen clutch upgrade kits so there is an option there.

I put a plate across the open end of the transaxle to hold a bearing which held the input shaft in place. I then had a coupling that joined the R1 sprocket to the transaxle input shaft. It only lasted 5 minutes before blowing the freshly rebuilt transaxle before I got bored and moved onto another project. But for the five minutes it was awesome fun. 

I used a 98 R1 engine and remember the wiring being a pain and had to get a full loom from England which cost as much as the engine. 

Anything will be a pain to fit in the front but that's half the fun. I would probably just hot up what's in it for a laugh. 

15 minutes ago, dmulally said:

I put a plate across the open end of the transaxle to hold a bearing which held the input shaft in place. I then had a coupling that joined the R1 sprocket to the transaxle input shaft. It only lasted 5 minutes before blowing the freshly rebuilt transaxle before I got bored and moved onto another project. But for the five minutes it was awesome fun. 

I used a 98 R1 engine and remember the wiring being a pain and had to get a full loom from England which cost as much as the engine. 

Anything will be a pain to fit in the front but that's half the fun. I would probably just hot up what's in it for a laugh. 

Bugger! 5min would suck...

I've been through the pain of redoing the wiring in my 200sx/1jz thing so hopefully this would be no worse...hopefully.

I do like the idea of modifying the 360cc, there is very little info out there. Perhaps its not a great engine for that. 27hp out of a 46year old design 360cc isn't bad, so there probably isn't much more in it.

21 minutes ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Bugger! 5min would suck...

I've been through the pain of redoing the wiring in my 200sx/1jz thing so hopefully this would be no worse...hopefully.

I do like the idea of modifying the 360cc, there is very little info out there. Perhaps its not a great engine for that. 27hp out of a 46year old design 360cc isn't bad, so there probably isn't much more in it.

Looks like it is screaming out for more carbs but forced induction should give you double the time I had with my R1 imp! 

I'm making a set of bike carbs fit my commer van so anything is possible with your big block. 

• Like 1

Engine swap 1 - shitty video (And complete abortion of a car), would be a bit of work, but the Jazz motor is probably one of the easiest and most powerful upgrades (Look up L15b motor....)

• Like 1

Engine swap 2 - Insight gearbox with battery pack and rear mounted E07a in the back from a Honda Beat. Can dig out more build information about this. You might be able to squeeze and EO7z turbo into the front from a Honda Life, 660cc and like 50 odd hp, but tsu tsu tsu tsu.

Can confirm n360's we're pretty much copied from Minis and wheel flares from minis are direct bolt on

And you should most definitely get modgies for this beast, because why would you not? Trademe link

And if my friend does his EV swap with my spare N600, there's an N600 motor waiting as well as I have some oversized pistons, however there's a guy in Western Aus who rebuilt his N600 using higher compression EB civic pistons for more dorts. Then get a motorbike Fuel Injection conversion kit and tune this bitch (Y)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SiRge said:

Can confirm n360's we're pretty much copied from Minis and wheel flares from minis are direct bolt on

And you should most definitely get modgies for this beast, because why would you not? Trademe link

And if my friend does his EV swap with my spare N600, there's an N600 motor waiting as well as I have some oversized pistons, however there's a guy in Western Aus who rebuilt his N600 using higher compression EB civic pistons for more dorts. Then get a motorbike Fuel Injection conversion kit and tune this bitch (Y)

Cool to know about the mini flares! I had some nice wide ones on a clubman ages ago which looked nice. That was with widened 10" steelies, pretty sure you can't do that anymore.

I reckon converting to 4x114.3 using early civic hubs would be a good option. Would need to run 13" wheels though, which might look a bit strange.

Any idea what kind of power that Ausy N600 made? They were 36hp but apparently they were detuned from 45hp.