What's a good castable rubber compatible with Engine Bay use?

Roman

Hi, 

Looking for some advice on material selection.

I want to cast some rubber, so needs to be pourable. 

But I want maximum elongation ability (So you can stretch it like a balloon kinda thing) 

and then some degree of resistance to heat, oil and petrol. 

Any thoughts on what would be best? 

The castings wont need to be super thin, or thick - Have some degree of freedom to best suit the material.
I can see you can get polyurethane with a very low shore hardness. But would something like latex be better? 

Thanks

Whenever I talk to people at work regarding this, they always push me towards urethanes, especially when pils are concerned. Plus Plastics and Hammerking are our typical suppliers/do our molds. I would give them a call, they are both fairly helpful

Otherwise, if you wanted to talk to someone about rubber, we used to use Skellerup for rubber stuff

• Like 1

Yeah I used to work for a company that specialized in polturethane.

Problem with polyurethane is that heat and oil/grease can break it down quite quickly. Plus the lower the shore hardness, the softer it is, so it becomes easier to tear. The sheer strength disappears. Elasticity is still there tho.

Also, you would have to send your parts in to be made. Supply a mould etc, as nobody will supply the raw materials for you. The curative is a massive carcinogen. And very explosive. Plus for the lower shore hardness grades, there is s 16+ hour cure time at 90 deg C.

Silicone and latex are both pourable at home, but I would say that they will have the same problems as low shore hardness polturethane. Poor strength.

I would go see Steve a Plus Plastics in East Tamaki and have a chat to him. He's a bloody good guy and probably the most knowledgeable in the field. I used to work with him, and i still send all my work to him, even tho I worked for his opposition.

Any other questions, the  dont hesitate to ask.

Cheers Blair

• Like 3